Excessive CEO pay, part of the problem for American Corporations.

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
We saw recently, the Home Depot, give a large seaverence bonus to a departing CEO, when the Home Depot had been loosing money for the last 2 years.
I tell you all, excessive CEO pay is part of the problem for American corporations.

Many of these CEO,'s don't know what the hell they are doing, the workers are never paid a livable wage, and are not really motivated. Corporations would be better served by paying their workers,not the CEO.Take care of your workers, is
why Japan continues to make better cars, and products than America.The Japanese corporate focus is on the Workers, not the CEO.! It is the workers that
ultimately make or break the corporation in the long run, not the CEO.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with CEOs making a lot of money but you have some particularly good points here.

It still comes down to the corporation's fault as a whole. The Board are the ones that approve these high-priced contracts for CEOs.

We saw recently, the Home Depot, give a large severence bonus to a departig CEO, when the Home Depot had been loosing money for the last 2 years.
I tell you all, excessive CEO pay is part of the problem for American corporations.

Many of these CEO,'s don't know what the hell they are doing, the workers are never paid a livable wage, and are not really motivated. Corporations would be better served by paying their workers,not the CEO.Take care of your workers, is
why Japan continues to make better cars, and products than America.The Japanese corporate focus is on the Workers, not the CEO.! It is the workers that
Do you have any figures for that recent event?

I do agree in many cases CEO's collecting millions before and after a company that is publicily traded goes broke or fails to make a profit is a problem.

It's not just the CEOs. It's the entire executive staffs that are getting overcompensated. They're all scratching each others back in a game that amounts to pure pilfering! Not a damn thing stock holders or workers can do to stop it.

I am inclined to agree. At the same time I don't see an alternative. If we claim to be a freedom loving society we really don't want to go down the road of mandating a limit on what people can make.

As long as we're free to chose other companies, the problem solves itself.

Exactly. It's US who're paying these salaries. Our business is giving these companies the money to pay their executives exorbitant salaries.

I liken a high paid executive to a high paid sports figure. If an exec is running a company to prosperity, they probably deserve that kind of money in proportion to the profits they're bringing in to the company, much like a high paid, well-performing athlete brings profits into their sports team through fan attendance, merchandise sales, etc.

When you run a company into the ground, however, you certainly don't deserve extra money for it, much less a job still. But the market will eventually determine what the CEO is worth, when they're out of a job and no other corporation wants them on their board.

I am inclined to agree. At the same time I don't see an alternative. If we claim to be a freedom loving society we really don't want to go down the road of mandating a limit on what people can make.

Generally I like to see markets adjust executive pay as it see's fit. When shareholders have enough they can revolt....

But over-compensation has become such a deeply ingrained cultural phenomena I just don't think the market effects it anymore. They pay themselves REGARDLESS of what their companies do or shareholders want.

I sense, though the common shareholder is becoming more activist and instead of just throwing that voting ballot in the garbage many are using it to vote against continuance in some cases.

But something has to be done to bust executive comp back to historical levels as it compares to the worker wages.

This is why GM, Chrysler, and Ford, Shearson Lehman Brothers , and Bear Sterns ,Citicorp
are all asking the Federal goverment for help.? These same overpaid, overcompensated CEO's, have mismangaged many American Corporations into insolvency and bankruptcy,
and now they want the American taxpayers to finance their over compensated mismanagement?!Please, I say the Federal government tell many of these CEO, that they all must be replaced , and their replacements paid at a dramatically reduced salary.

Last edited:
This is why GM, Chrysler, and Ford, Shearson Lehman Brothers , and Bear Sterns ,Citicorp
are all asking the Federal goverment for help.? These same overpaid, overcompensated CEO's, have mismangaged many American Corporations into insolvency and bankruptcy,
and now they want the American taxpayers to finance their over compensated mismanagement?!Please, I say the Federal government tell many of these CEO, that they all must be replaced , and their replacements paid at a dramatically reduced salary.

You don't have any say---the Feds will have to figure out the whole pecking order. When all these "financial service " industries are bribing the government it's for situations just like this.

It's not just the CEOs. It's the entire executive staffs that are getting overcompensated. They're all scratching each others back in a game that amounts to pure pilfering! Not a damn thing stock holders or workers can do to stop it.

The worst thing about this is that most of these upper management and CEO types could be replaced by varying people at a fraction of the pay, and the end results would most likely be better for these corporations.

The over all attitude of this thread is scary. This is a free nation. You don't have to like how much they are paid. But to mandate government involvement to trim them back is scary. Pretty soon the .gov will be setting a minimum and a maximum wage and the Dept of Labor will enforce it with the payday police.

We saw recently, the Home Depot, give a large seaverence bonus to a departing CEO, when the Home Depot had been loosing money for the last 2 years.

Nope, regulation is. CEO pay is a negotiated item. It is not the .govs place to be mandating such a thing. It is the board of directors and stockholders. I agree that taxpayer dollars should not go to line a golden parachute. But do you really, really, really want the government to void contracts with impunity?

Many of these CEO,'s don't know what the hell they are doing, They know enough to limit thier own liability the workers are never paid a livable wage, and are not really motivated. Pay heed. Workers will only work hard enough to not get fired, and employers will only pay enough to keep the worker from walking off the job. Corporations would be better served by paying their workers,not the CEO. I agree. But please don't give the .gov the idea that it is ok to get involved. Take care of your workers, is

Ever been to Japan? I have. The average american would not work in Japan. Thier definition of taking care of a worker isn't the same as what you are saying. IF you are interested, I can go on at length.

Generally I like to see markets adjust executive pay as it see's fit. When shareholders have enough they can revolt....

But over-compensation has become such a deeply ingrained cultural phenomena I just don't think the market effects it anymore. They pay themselves REGARDLESS of what their companies do or shareholders want.

I sense, though the common shareholder is becoming more activist and instead of just throwing that voting ballot in the garbage many are using it to vote against continuance in some cases.

But something has to be done to bust executive comp back to historical levels as it compares to the worker wages.

Again. I agree with the sentiment. But don't even think of allowing the .gov to limit my potential. Thanks.

Then I strongly urge you not to invest any of your money into a company that pays its CEO "excessively", whatever the Hell that means.

What's your point?

Exactly. It's US who're paying these salaries. Our business is giving these companies the money to pay their executives exorbitant salaries.

I liken a high paid executive to a high paid sports figure. If an exec is running a company to prosperity, they probably deserve that kind of money in proportion to the profits they're bringing in to the company, much like a high paid, well-performing athlete brings profits into their sports team through fan attendance, merchandise sales, etc.

When you run a company into the ground, however, you certainly don't deserve extra money for it, much less a job still. But the market will eventually determine what the CEO is worth, when they're out of a job and no other corporation wants them on their board.

Then I strongly urge YOU to research the pay of every CEO of every corporation, and then refuse to spend money at any company who pays its CEO "excessively", whatever the Hell that means.

Still not getting the point here.

Or, you know, they could just be sensible and Constitutionally correct and tell them to take a long walk off a short pier . . . WITHOUT the taxpayers' money.

Why is this viewed as a less sensible idea than the government coming in, throwing cash around with both fists, while ludicrously presuming to tell businesses the "correct" way to be run and make a profit, as though they know anything about it?

Or, you know, they could just be sensible and Constitutionally correct and tell them to take a long walk off a short pier . . . WITHOUT the taxpayers' money.

Why is this viewed as a less sensible idea than the government coming in, throwing cash around with both fists, while ludicrously presuming to tell businesses the "correct" way to be run and make a profit, as though they know anything about it?

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Then I strongly urge YOU to research the pay of every CEO of every corporation, and then refuse to spend money at any company who pays its CEO "excessively", whatever the Hell that means.

Still not getting the point here.

What's so hard about researching who you do business with? Are you saying you DON'T?

I don't even mind a CEO who is paid 10's of millions of dollars, as long as it's in proportion to the profits they bring in to the company. The "excessive" pays are the ones going to the CEO's of companies who failed miserably and took taxpayers and shareholders with them.

What's not to get?

What's so hard about researching who you do business with? Are you saying you DON'T?

Sure, but I research things that are actually MY business and affect me. I fail to see what business it could POSSIBLY be of yours how much a company decides to pay its CEO or why, unless you happen to be a stockholder.

But again, if you want to get your panties in a ruffle about it, then by all means, only do business with those companies who pay their CEOs like they pay their janitors. I don't care. I just don't understand why YOU care.

I don't even mind a CEO who is paid 10's of millions of dollars, as long as it's in proportion to the profits they bring in to the company. The "excessive" pays are the ones going to the CEO's of companies who failed miserably and took taxpayers and shareholders with them.

What's not to get?

What's not to get is why you mind ANY of them. What's it to you?

Forum List

Back