Excellent long read on USS COLLISION

"Both of these accidents were preventable and the respective investigations found multiple failures by watch standers that contributed to the incidents," said Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson. "We must do better."

what do you not understand about that quote??
it CLEARLY states the watch standers failed

Have you ever been a "watch stander"? I have on a DD in very dense fog, and as port lookout when one could see the horizon. It is a tedious task and a redundancy with today's technology.

"Both of these accidents were preventable and the respective investigations found multiple failures by watch standers that contributed to the incidents," said Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson. "We must do better."

Have you ever been a "watch stander"? I have on a DD in very dense fog, and as port lookout when one could see the horizon. It is a tedious task and a redundancy with today's technology.
"Both of these accidents were preventable and the respective investigations found multiple failures by watch standers that contributed to the incidents," said Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson. "We must do better.
I've been on 4 different Gator ships .....
so you are saying the ships radar/sensors were NOT working?
TEDIOUS ---exactly!!!!! you must have discipline ...this is how a lot of accidents/disasters occur = someone slacking

.....watch stander---ha--more than you probably ...I was guard duty for 4 years on a naval base
....a couple of times we got about 2 to 3 hours sleep per night as we not only did guard duty, but we practiced for a ceremony when ''off'' actual guard duty, then performed in the ceremony....
......a couple of times for running guard as some Marines went on leave, we did 4 on, 4 off 3 consecutive times-then 8 off, then 4 on 4 off 3 times again--BUT, when off, you're not OFF duty, just off actual guard ..we did this for 3 consecutive days........Monday--T--W...then Saturday-Sun...so on and so on for 2 weeks

when you are on ship--you don't have a people taking leave when you're deployed

Forum List

Back