Excellent analysis of post-election America

If only we could come to understand that this very fact is the source of our dysfunctional politics. We've let government grow to big, too powerful, too meddlesome. When allowing someone you disagree with to take the reigns represents a real threat to your core beliefs, elections become a desperate struggle. If, on the other hand, the power of government is constrained by strict constitutional limits, it's not such a big deal who's in charge.

I believe that path toward reuniting our country depends on this principle.

But, this battle has been, and is being waged, under the Constitution and in line with its principles. It is only empowered because WE have become accustomed to voting them into office based upon their ideologies rather than our own self-interest. And, it's about to happen again.

Well, I don't believe it's the case that the principles embodied in the Constitution endorse the scope and reach of our current federal government. But there's not much to be gained in debating the 'original intent' of those long gone dead. My point is that, regardless of your interpretation of the Constitution, democracy (even cursory, representative democracy) cannot support government with this much power. It can't do it and maintain an open, pluralistic society, in any case.

That's why it's coming apart at the seams.

If only we could come to understand that this very fact is the source of our dysfunctional politics. We've let government grow to big, too powerful, too meddlesome. When allowing someone you disagree with to take the reigns represents a real threat to your core beliefs, elections become a desperate struggle. If, on the other hand, the power of government is constrained by strict constitutional limits, it's not such a big deal who's in charge.

I believe that path toward reuniting our country depends on this principle.

But, this battle has been, and is being waged, under the Constitution and in line with its principles. It is only empowered because WE have become accustomed to voting them into office based upon their ideologies rather than our own self-interest. And, it's about to happen again.

Well, I don't believe it's the case that the principles embodied in the Constitution endorse the scope and reach of our current federal government. But there's not much to be gained in debating the 'original intent' of those long gone dead. My point is that, regardless of your interpretation of the Constitution, democracy (even cursory, representative democracy) cannot support government with this much power. It can't do it and maintain an open, pluralistic society, in any case.

That may very well be, but the expansion of government power came at our behest. We chose it, incrementally over the years, election after election. So, it seems to me that to now attempt to disown that would be to reject the Will of The People. To change it from outside the system would be worse in that it would SUPPLANT the Will of The People with something else.

Last edited:

That may very well be, but the expansion of government power came at our behest. We chose it, incrementally over the years, election after election.

Yes, and it's time to reconsider that choice. If it's not too late.

That may very well be, but the expansion of government power came at our behest. We chose it, incrementally over the years, election after election.

Sorry. I was adding an additional comment while you were typing.

Sorry. I was adding an additional comment while you were typing.

Thanks for pointing this out.

So, it seems to me that to now attempt to disown that would be to reject the Will of The People. To change it from outside the system would be worse in that it would SUPPLANT the Will of The People with something else.

Yes. Indeed. What a lot of people don't really understand about constitutionally limited government is that, in a democracy at least, the very thing it seeks to limit is the Will of the People. Especially when they set their sights on the vulnerable minority. That's what I'm getting at. In a democracy with unlimited power, being in the minority is a potential death sentence.

Forum List

Back