Examining NewGuy: Is he a protectionist?

• Banned
Protectionism and withdrawal from world affairs is death for any nation. SO any American protectionist is automatically anti american.

• Banned
Oh my god, are you Pat Buchanan. Can i have your autograph so I can wad it up and throw it away?

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Protectionism and withdrawal from world affairs is death for any nation. SO any American protectionist is automatically anti american.

That's a rather simple-minded interpretation of protectionism. I believe in helping American producers, but not to the exclusion of other countries in our market. Can there be some comromise here?

• Banned
Originally posted by nycflasher
That's a rather simple-minded interpretation of protectionism. I believe in helping American producers, but not to the exclusion of other countries in our market. Can there be some comromise here?

Sure. I guess. I have no power or pull to bring to the table however.

• Banned
Political Protectionism and Economic protectionism are both suicidal in the long term view.

Sure. I guess. I have no power or pull to bring to the table however.

Me neither.
Just saying that I do belive in the need/right of Americans to protect other Americans. But I agree, we cannot depart from world affairs. Quite contrarily, it seems we're immersed in them.

• Banned
Me neither.
Just saying that I do belive in the need/right of Americans to protect other Americans. But I agree, we cannot depart from world affairs. Quite contrarily, it seems we're immersed in them.

But protecting the economy,helping as you say, is destructive to our long term health. We get weak, from economic protectionism, and we will lose allies if we retreat politically. It's bad from all sides. Though certain voting blocks focus on specific short term advantages, it's still destructive.

Maybe it makes most sense to get out of domestic industries that are suffering, rather than trying to keem them alive? For instance, if it seems that the Italians are going to be able to make widgets at a lower cost than us for well into the forseeable future, then maybe we should just get out of the widget business. As opposed to "protecting" the U.S. widget producer.

I guess that even though I am a city boy, my sympathies are with the American farmer who seems to suffer the most. Am I right or wrong?

YEP. newguy is a protectionist. Do not follow him, for he is a false prophet!

''Protectionism: Bad Politics, Bad Policy''

http://www.caltradereport.com/eWebPages/opinion-1078185644.html
WASHINGTON, DC - 02/25/04 - The American people are often more sophisticated and able to digest complex issues than many politicians assume, including, it seems, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry.
_
One of the Democratic front-runner's big applause lines has become his attack on "Benedict Arnold CEOs," whose traitorous activities include their search for lower wages and rising profits and "sticking Americans with the bill," as Mr. Kerry puts it. While this
may be considered a crime in some circles, most Americans are not fooled by the rhetoric.

Mr. Kerry believes he can keep jobs displaced by open markets at home by subsidizing US companies or offering tax incentives to prevent them from moving their operations overseas. His rhetoric sounds patriotic, but the truth is it's bad politics and bad policy.
The Web site of H. J. Heinz, the company that bears the name of Mr. Kerry's wife, Teresa Heinz, boasts of operations in Africa, the Middle East, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific Rim.
_
Moving jobs overseas, or outsourcing, has touched a raw nerve within protectionists, and even among traditional free-traders who discovered that not only manufacturing jobs but also white-collar service sector jobs are not immune to the laws of supply and demand.

Just about every economist in modern times, and every president, including New Democrat Bill Clinton, has recognized the net benefits of free trade and open markets - including labor markets. History has proved that the United States creates better jobs and more of them - supported by those jobs that move overseas.

Countries with larger pools of labor have a comparative advantage in labor-intensive goods. They are wise to specialize accordingly. Countries with natural resources (oil, agriculture, minerals, etc.) will do the same. Trade facilitates the process of specialization and raises living standards in participating countries.

Countries that refuse to open their borders are tragically left behind. The longer we distort markets through protectionism, the longer the world uses its precious resources less efficiently and diverts more efficient economic patterns, to the detriment of everyone, including the United States.
_
While the process of replacing old jobs with new ones is painful for those who benefit from the old order of things - in this case, families and workers - any form of progress has this same characteristic. The longer we subsidize and consequently postpone the laws of supply and demand, the more difficult that inevitable transition becomes.
_
Moreover, free trade and open markets are part of any successful foreign policy. If you want to make certain that the disaffected poor in the least-developed nations are not drawn into terrorist training camps against the United States, the greatest policy is to help them through trade-related jobs.
_
On the war, Mr. Kerry attacks Mr. Bush for not making nice with the French. But when it comes to trade, something that arguably does more than anything to develop good relations with our neighbors - not to mention gives the poorest of the poor a chance at economic development - the senator appears to want a pass in the name of the fictitious idea that he, as president, can "keep" certain jobs here at home. As nicely as French fries go with ketchup, open markets go with sound foreign policy.

America is always about the future. That future, by definition, cannot be about the jobs of the past - those that are headed overseas - but the jobs of the future, those we cannot even see. What will matter in the end is our focus on the productivity and quality of our own labor force, not the relative cheapness of another's.

The beauty of a free market is that consumers have proved to be excellent at sorting out the best combination of each.

Politicians who claim to represent the working class by vowing to keep these jobs at home represent the past. This can explain the early defeat of the most protectionist candidate in the race, Rep. Richard A. Gephardt. The American people understand that putting a wall around the United States will never be the answer and will never keep jobs at home.
_
Responsible presidents always recognize that open markets benefit our country in terms of our good neighborliness and jobs. As a shareholder and a presidential candidate, Senator Kerry should recognize what is good for both.

Michael J. Marshall, who studied economics at Georgetown University, is communications director to former Sen. Bob Dole.

YEP. newguy is a protectionist. Do not follow him, for he is a false prophet!

I'm not following any of you jackasses into the light:thewave:

Well, maybe if you show mne your boobies :boobies:

But not by talking nunsense :cool:

I'm not following any of you jackasses into the light:thewave:

Well, maybe if you show mne your boobies :boobies:

But not by talking nunsense :cool:

:boobies:

Lick em, baby!

Ah, it's hard to get turned on when I disagree with you so much on the issues :p:

Thanks for the offer, though, I didn't know you were so easy...

Ah, it's hard to get turned on when I disagree with you so much on the issues :p:

Thanks for the offer, though, I didn't know you were so easy...

How do Mary Matalin and the Ragin Cajun get along?

I abhor you.
I abhor you.

Let's make sweet, sweet bipartisan love!

Forum List

Back