Ex-Top Commander Endorses Pullout Bill

He'll probably say the same thing anyone capable of logical thought would: Is Iraq in a position for us to bring our troops home within a year?

If not, the answer is no, regardless WHO wants to say otherwise.

Your opinion of Logical thought is NOT very "LOGICAL"

AP
Posted: 2007-11-22 07:45:05

WASHINGTON (Nov. 21) - Retired Army Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the top commander in Iraq shortly after the fall of Baghdad, said this week he supports Democratic legislation that calls for most troops to come home within a year

Obviously he will be attacked as a cut and runner, and advocating for a surrender date. Or will he?

I agree with him. Declare victory, get out, and stop babysitting a sectarian conflict.

AP

WASHINGTON (Nov. 21) - Retired Army Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the top commander in Iraq shortly after the fall of Baghdad, said this week he supports Democratic legislation that calls for most troops to come home within a year

Obviously he will be attacked as a cut and runner, and advocating for a surrender date. Or will he?

I agree with him. Declare victory, get out, and stop babysitting a sectarian conflict.

Right. Then when the Iraq government can't stand, you'll be among the first claiming "Bush didn't finish the job." Deja vu. Been there heard THAT.

Gunny, sounds like you already have a plan. No matter when we leave, when the Iraq government turns it's back on us and begins to break bread with Iran, then the reason will be bush was not listened to. We left to early. He wasn't given the funds he needed.

Good thinking! With a plan like this, bush will never look like the incompetent that he is!

Actually, one reason Sanchez spoke out was because...BUSH CANNOT FIRE HIM ANYMORE! That is how bush has operated his administration. He has controlled through fear and intimidation...wait...

I think that is the GOP platform!

Well they're coming home, 5k next month:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071124/pl_nm/iraq_diyala_dc

U.S. to reduce Iraq troop levels by 5,000

By Missy RyanSat Nov 24, 11:14 AM ET

Overall U.S. troop levels in Iraq will fall by about 5,000 when a combat brigade completes its pullout from the country's volatile Diyala province next month, U.S. military officials said on Saturday.

The 3rd Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division is the first brigade not be replaced by fresh troops from the United States since the U.S. commander in Iraq General David Petraeus announced plans to cut forces by some 20,000 by July 2008 as violence ebbs.

There are now about 162,000 U.S. soldiers in Iraq.

While the brigade is leaving, the number of U.S. soldiers in Diyala will actually increase with units elsewhere in the country redeploying to the province northeast of Baghdad.

The 3rd Brigade was not part of President George W. Bush's "surge" of 30,000 troops in the first half of 2007. But its departure marks the first big reversal of a troop build-up ordered to pull Iraq back from the brink of all-out civil war.

"The redeployment without replacement reflects overall improved security within Iraq," military spokesman Rear Admiral Gregory Smith told a news conference.

"If conditions continue to permit, a total of five brigade combat teams will be redeployed over the next eight months," Smith said, putting a full brigade at 5,000-6,000 personnel.

Colonel David Sutherland, commander of the 3rd Brigade, told the news conference Diyala was a different province than when he deployed there 15 months ago....

Right. Then when the Iraq government can't stand, you'll be among the first claiming "Bush didn't finish the job." Deja vu. Been there heard THAT.

stand for what?
I certainly have little doubt that some form of shiite dominated government will be left standing when all is said and done... and that government will inevitably have closer ties to Iran than it will to us... and I believe that that will be the case if we leave next year, or next decade.

And won't that just be a delightful consequence of trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of American casualties?

AP

When your NOT the President, its much easier to throw out statements, that aren't well thought out, and if you are "out of the loop", and don't know, or can't see the whole picture, how can you(Richard Sanchez)make such a statement?

Mr. Sanchez(he IS retired, right?)does a disservice to troops he once command, and to the nation he swore to defend by making such "off the cuff " remarks.

It would be best, and would gather more support, and NOT put our military in harms way, if he kept such remarks to himself. That's the price you pay, having been the "top dog" in Iraq.

Course, everyone in the US wants to be a star, and can't stand it when their out of the lights.

A shame really.............:eusa_naughty:

Typical bush sheep reply. You agree with us or you are unamerican and you are doing a disservice to the troops. You know...that is getting a little old.

This is nor Russia, it is not Pakistan, and it is not Saudi Arabia. Dissention is the foundation of Democracy. You have heard about Democracy haven't you? You know, once we didn't find the WMDs and once it was proven that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, "Democracy" was the reason bush keeps giving for invading Iraq. What is bush's definition of Democracy?

Democracy = Oil

Gunny you can understand that can't you?

Gunny, sounds like you already have a plan. No matter when we leave, when the Iraq government turns it's back on us and begins to break bread with Iran, then the reason will be bush was not listened to. We left to early. He wasn't given the funds he needed.

Good thinking! With a plan like this, bush will never look like the incompetent that he is!

Actually, one reason Sanchez spoke out was because...BUSH CANNOT FIRE HIM ANYMORE! That is how bush has operated his administration. He has controlled through fear and intimidation...wait...

I think that is the GOP platform!

Being able to anticipate the left's next accusation hardly requires any deep thought. The truth was lost long ago behind the Bush can do no right mentality y'all got going.

We can't just pull out. That's a fact. And if you lefties manage to get a Democrat in the White House and that Democrat won't just "pull out," what's your accusation going to be then?

I disagree that if we give the Iraq government everything it needs to succeed and gradually draw our forces down and replace them with Iraqi forces that if they STILL capitulate that it will be Bush's fault. It'll be the govt of Iraq's fault.

stand for what?
I certainly have little doubt that some form of shiite dominated government will be left standing when all is said and done... and that government will inevitably have closer ties to Iran than it will to us... and I believe that that will be the case if we leave next year, or next decade.

And won't that just be a delightful consequence of trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of American casualties?

Ever the eternal optimist. :cool:

Typical bush sheep reply. You agree with us or you are unamerican and you are doing a disservice to the troops. You know...that is getting a little old.

This is nor Russia, it is not Pakistan, and it is not Saudi Arabia. Dissention is the foundation of Democracy. You have heard about Democracy haven't you? You know, once we didn't find the WMDs and once it was proven that Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, "Democracy" was the reason bush keeps giving for invading Iraq. What is bush's definition of Democracy?

Democracy = Oil

Gunny you can understand that can't you?

The only sheep I see here would be YOU, junior. Most of your blather is irrelevant to anything I have ever said.

You're quite talking out your ass accusing me of calling anyone unamerican.

Ever been a troop? No. Then STFU and don't presume to tell me, who was a troop, what troops think and are affected by. Either way, I don't sling THAT particular label around either.

It never had to be proven that Saddam didn't have anything to do wiht 9/11 since the Administration came out DAYS after 9/11 and said as much. It appears only those incapable of logical thought believed otherwise.

It is also a FACT that Saddam produced, possessed and used WMDs. Period.

I don't know nor have I ever claimed to know what Bush's definition of democracy is. The only definition I ever recall hearing in regard to democracy in Iraq is from the left. As soon as a government was democratically elected, y'all dredged up "Jeffersonian" to preface democracy with, in the ongoing effort to ensure any and all efforts appear as failures.
I know of nobody else who ever suggested such a notion.

But the fact is, we can EASILY say Saddam's totalitarian regime was not a democracy, and that government elected by the people is a LOT closer to democracy than a ruthless dictator.

Got any more blanks in that gun to shoot at me, or what?

Ever the eternal optimist. :cool:

and you expect a harmonious democracy where sunnis and shiites coexist peacefully and where one variant of Islamic law ans tradition is not foreced upon the other?

Do you REALLY expect that the shiites of Iraq will find a greater affinity to the Israeli supporting Christians of America than they do with the shiites of Iran?

and you expect a harmonious democracy where sunnis and shiites coexist peacefully and where one variant of Islamic law ans tradition is not foreced upon the other?

Do you REALLY expect that the shiites of Iraq will find a greater affinity to the Israeli supporting Christians of America than they do with the shiites of Iran?

No, but the sunnis of Iraq? Possibly. They are Iraqis too.

I certainly would not wager a nickel on the success of a multi-ethnic Iraqi democracy.

But I wasn't placing a bet. I was saying that I wouldn't bet on Iran and Iraq shiites cooperating the way you seem to infer.

Forum List

Back