Ex Marine Gives Vet A Push

Shooter

Semper Fi
Sep 1, 2010
Florida
I've been gone for a while so I apologize if this has already been posted.

Everyone needs to read this article and watch the video at the end. I'll admit a tear formed in my eye while reading this.

I love stories like this. Makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy (if I had a heart). When I see things like this it makes me realize this is truly the greatest nation on earth and Americans really are good, decent, caring and respectful people.

OOHRAH to all the vets and active serviceman out there. You all are the real heros of this country and are some of the greatest people on the planet.

And you know what? I'll bet everything I own that these two former jarheads complete the marathon. Why? Because they were Marines. Marines don't fail. Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Former Marine to Be Iraq War Vet's Legs in Marathon

(Oct. 29) -- Suppose a stranger showed up at your doorstep and offered to help you run a marathon. How would you react?

Well, Marine Sgt. Eddie Ryan didn't know how to react either when former Marine Bryan Purcell showed up at his door back on April 1.

But this offer was no joke. It was very serious to Purcell, a pilot for SkyWest Airlines.

You see, Ryan has had two big dreams in his life: one was to become a Marine and the other was to run in the Marine Corps Marathon, a grueling event that takes place every Halloween in Washington, D.C.

Ryan fulfilled that first dream in 2002 after graduating from high school in Ellenville, N.Y., and landing in Iraq a few months later.

However, that second dream seemed impossible after April 13, 2005, when Ryan was shot twice in the head -- once in his lower jaw and once above his eye -- and suffered a severe traumatic brain injury.

On April 14, his parents found themselves staring at two Marines on their doorstep who said their son had been wounded in Iraq. The next day, they flew overseas to see him in the hospital.

Ryan wasn't expected to live, but he did. The doctors said he wouldn't recognize his family. They said he was likely to die of an infection. They said he wouldn't be able to move again, or even speak again.

In time, Ryan surpassed everyone's expectations. He still can't walk on his own and his left hand is weaker than his right, but he is expected to walk eventually.

Despite that inconvenient setback, Ryan, 26, is getting ready to compete in his first marathon.

That's where Purcell, 36, comes in. Although he showed up on Ryan's doorstep nearly seven months ago, he's been planning this since 2007, ever since he saw an HBO special titled "Alive Day Memories: Home From Iraq," produced by former "Sopranos" star James Gandolfini, that featured wounded service members, including Sgt. Ryan.

During the interview, Ryan's mother looked at him and asked him if he was going to walk again. He replied, "No. I'm gonna run."

Coincidentally, Purcell was in the middle of training for his first marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon.

"As soon as I saw that special, I started brainstorming ideas on how to make this happen," he told AOL News.

His wife, Melanie, was supportive of his ambitious quest.

"I was inspired by Brian's faith that this goal was possible," she said. "He just dove in, and I knew that if this lofty goal was meant to be, then God would provide the way. It was truly inspiring.

To that end, he researched other people who have done something similar, such as Rick and Dick Hoyt, a father-son team from Holland, Mass., who compete together in various athletic endeavors, even though Rick has cerebral palsy and needs to be pushed in a special wheelchair by his dad when they run marathons.

"Then on April 1, I flew from Chicago to New York City, rented a car and drove to Sgt. Ryan's house in White Plains, New York," Purcell said.

To be fair, Purcell says he wouldn't have resorted to such dramatic measures if Ryan, his mom or dad had answered the phone or his other entreaties, but he never could get in touch with them.

Purcell knocked on the door, introduced himself to Ryan and his family and thanked Ryan for his service. Then he mentioned that they had served in Iraq at the same time, although they didn't know each other then.

But when he also said he wanted to help Ryan run the 35th annual Marine Corps Marathon, Ryan and his parents, Angie and Chris, were floored.

And maybe a little suspicious. At least the parents were.

"I was thinking, 'Who is this person in the driveway?' " Angie Ryan admitted. "I would not have even opened the door had a firefighter friend of ours not been at the house."

Sgt. Ryan's father, Chris, wasn't at home at the time, and also wasn't as suspicious. But he was shocked ... and a little humbled.

"I wondered why would someone fly from Chicago to White Plains, rent a car and drive all this way for a total stranger?" he said, adding that his first reaction about the marathon plan was a drawn-out, "Really?!"

Sgt. Ryan was all for it, but doing it has required some planning and the kindness of others. He and Purcell are using an $8,000 customized hand cycle made by AdvaCare Systems that has been modified by Orange County Choppers, whose show "American Chopper" is featured on the TLC network.

Ryan sits in a position with hand cranks in front of him to propel the cycle, but, because of his limitations, the machine now has a frame on the back that Purcell can use to push when Ryan needs a break. Purcell can also steer, shift the gears and use the brakes so Ryan can concentrate on propelling the machine forward.

Because Purcell is based in Chicago, he and Ryan have had to train separately: Purcell uses a three-wheeled racing chair that is weighted down to simulate Ryan, while Ryan works out with a "MOTOmed" machine, a hand-and-foot cycle similar to a stationary bike that is designed to help people with rehabilitation.

It allows him to visualize his speed, distance and accomplishment with the machine.

He's also sticking to a strict diet and refuses ice cream, cake, cookies and sodas. As a result, he has lost 20 pounds.

"We also ran a 5K a few weeks ago," Purcell said. "That was a good practice run."

Still, Purcell admits it's going to be hard to duplicate the course used for the Marine Corps Marathon.

"There are three significant hills in the first eight miles," he said. "And the last half-mile is a steep incline to the Iwo Jima memorial."

At those moments, Purcell is going to need Ryan as much as Ryan will need him for the rest of the run.

"On those hills, I need him to use everything he has," he said.

They have another goal: to run the complete marathon in four hours and 13 minutes, because 4/13 was the day Ryan was shot.

Although Ryan's family and Purcell's wife will be on hand at the finish line, there is someone Purcell also wishes were there to greet them.

"This never would have happened if James Gandolfini hadn't done that special, so I'd love to thank him," he said. "That would be fantastic."

Former Marine Acts as Wounded Iraq Vet's Legs in Marathon

1288254009920.JPEG

1288254222009.JPEG

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfHNu_Aa6Y[/ame]

Well Eddie Ryan with Bryan Purcell pushing him, managed to overcome the steep hills and inclines and finished the grueling marathon to a heroes welcome...just like two jarheads would. I knew these two men would overcome the odss and finish.

They almost didn't get to race. The morning of the race they couldn't find the straps that would secure Ryan's hands to the hand pedals. They franticly scrambled to make improvised straps and get to the starting line. They made it with mere seconds to spare.

This is one of the greatest feel-good stories in a long time. I am so happy and proud of these two Marines. Oohrah, brothers!

bilde

Forum List

Back