Ex-Gays Face Increasing Harassment

If you think it's biased fine, you can ignore all the un sourced things on the page and follow the sourced ones.

I must admit I do think wikipedia's kind of biased but not as much as the conservapedia crowd.

I posted the conservapedia link because it is a biased site. There are biases in every publication. That was the point. I want the facts. Unfortunately, the gay lobby (or whatever you want to call it) is very powerful. You can see for yourself that if you question homosexuality, you are marginalized, called intolerant and ignored. I can handle the bullying, but I have a problem with such closed-minded people in this day and age. We still have a long way to go as a species.

You asked me a question. I'd thought I'd be polite and answer it.

Ok, if you decide to be polite and answer it I'll be polite and listen. But "it depends" isn't an answer. Put a little effort into it, or don't bother.

Is being gay a choice?

The world may never know

Ok we might but Lord knows we'll never agree to it when we find out (one section will always stick to it's not a choice another section will always stick to it's not a choice).

You're right about that! This topic is like abortion. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

I don't like what homosexuals do, but I don't do anything to stop them from doing it. I don't think I've ever been mean to one, unless excusing myself and leaving is mean. I'm for everyone having civil unions and marriage being a private thing... that seems to at least give them equal treatment under the law. Does any of that make me intolerant? :confused:

Sounds fine to me! The problem that some people (like Jillian) have is that you don't like what homosexuals do. Therefore, you believe what they are doing is wrong in the same way that racists believe that whites are evil because of the color of their skin (or whatever color you are). They are the ones who are intolerant, but they will never see that. They will continue living their lives with a superior attitude, never realizing that they are the guilty ones.

They have no sexual attraction toward the opposite sex.

For those that have a biological predilection to homosexuality. As I've stated before, this could be as simple as a chemical imbalance, similar to bipolar disorder or schizophrenia for which there are treatments.

To control her.

Not always. Sometimes they are just repeating what they learned as a child. Somehow they think that type of behavior is normal.

You do make a good point. Most people act on instinct. The people who choose to be gay usually have no idea why they are doing it. It's like a guy who beats his wife. Why does he do it? Eventually, the person will either realize what he's doing and stop (a choice), realize what he's doing and say "I can change who I am" and continue doing it (a choice), or go through life never understanding why he does what he does.

After being around gays for most of my adult life, I will have to disagree with you on your last point. Most gays I know are proud of who they are. They don't consider themselves as second class citizens.

i didn't say that gays consider themselves second class; i said they were relegated to second class status. your choice of wife beating as a metephorical vehicle is telling. do you see being gay as on par with physically assaulting another (presumably weaker in this case) human being? i can't agree with that.

i didn't say that gays consider themselves second class; i said they were relegated to second class status. your choice of wife beating as a metephorical vehicle is telling. do you see being gay as on par with physically assaulting another (presumably weaker in this case) human being? i can't agree with that.

That you did. However, I still don't consider gays as being relegated to second class status. Perhaps you are older than I am, but I've never seen that as a problem.

Of course I don't see being gay as on par with physically assaulting another. I guess neither of us are reading each other's posts well tonight. I was merely pointing out that a wife beater doesn't always know why he does what he does. And even if he figures it out, he can still choose to keep doing it because that is all he's ever known. For him, it just seems like the natural thing to do.

That you did. However, I still don't consider gays as being relegated to second class status. Perhaps you are older than I am, but I've never seen that as a problem.

Of course I don't see being gay as on par with physically assaulting another. I guess neither of us are reading each other's posts well tonight. I was merely pointing out that a wife beater doesn't always know why he does what he does. And even if he figures it out, he can still choose to keep doing it because that is all he's ever known. For him, it just seems like the natural thing to do.
you're probably right about the bolded section.

if someone doesn't know why they do what they do is that really a chosen behavior? especially something so seemingly involuntary as sexual orientation?

i don't recall choosing to like girls; i just woke up one morning and they were waaaay more important than baseball.

Science is giving us more and more answers every day. A sizable percentage were sexually and/or physically abused as children. Many have a chemical imbalance in the brain which seems to make a person more susceptible to homosexual behavior. So if there was a cure, would homosexuals use it? Probably not. Would parents use it if they determine that their children might grow up to be gay? I'd guess most would.

If parents were told the truth that being homosexual shortens the lifespan by about 20 years, I think you could count on parents using such a treatment -assuming homosexuality is actually genetic and not the result of behavioral learning -and a treatment ever found. Studies in Canada and Europe, carried out by pro-gay groups - have shown that homosexuals have a life expectancy that is an average 20 years shorter than it is for heterosexuals. Even when AIDS is taken out of the equation. Guess who objects most strongly to the results of these studies? It isn't coming from professionals who design how to properly carry out such studies. Gays and gay activists in particular vigorously criticize these findings. Not wanting to face up to it and hoping the fact they just don't like the results will somehow invalidate them all -doesn't change the results.

Modelling the impact of HIV disease on mortality in gay and bisexual men -- Hogg et al. 26 (3): 657 -- International Journal of Epidemiology

Physician Says Science of Medical Consequences of Homosexual Behaviour is Being Trumped by Political Agenda

Family Research Council

Same-Sex ‘Marriage’ a Health Risk Doctors Warn Parliamentarians

Why would I want to hang around with perverts?

Would you want to associate with child molesters or rapists?

They are no different than homos! Just sick degenerates!! :eek:

No they're not, having a sexual attraction to the same sex does not entail that one will always be out looking for sex or thinking of it.

Child molestors and rapists involve a non-consenting party who was abused through the ordeal. Gay sex can be consensual just the same as regular sex.

No they're not, having a sexual attraction to the same sex does not entail that one will always be out looking for sex or thinking of it.

Child molestors and rapists involve a non-consenting party who was abused through the ordeal. Gay sex can be consensual just the same as regular sex.
It's all nasty and perverted!! Why do you stick up for these sick degenerates?? :eek:

You're right about that! This topic is like abortion. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

Oh no abortion is in my opinion almost 75% subjective and thus most debates on abortion tend to devolve into emotional yelling at each other (and of course fallacies, accusation, ad hominem etc.).

But when you're dealing with dead fetuses emotions tend to flare.

Perhaps we could argue the scientific studies concerning gays, although I haven't done my research so you'll likely run circles around me.

The most I've heard is anecdotal evidence, which, by itself isn't good enough.

Frankly though my opinion on gay rights would not be affected if it turns out being gay is 100% choice or 100% not a choice.

I hate it when people seem to shell themselves up with 'if it contradicts what I believe it must be heavily biased, and/or wrong'. That's why these debates tend to go nowhere.

I wish we knew once and for all why people want to be gay or have gay feelings. If there was a way, a therapy of some kind, to help make people ungay do you think many homosexuals would use it? I hear all the time what a burden it is and how no one would choose to be despised by society but then there's the gay pride thing. Is the pride aspect because if you can't get rid of it you have to be proud?

I wish I understood all of this better. :confused:
It just doesn't make sense to me.

Being gay is like having left handed dominence. Left handedness is in the minority. To a left handed person, using the left hand is as natural as it is for a right handed person to use his right hand.

Left handed people used to be persecuted. They were forced to become right handed because the left hand was considered the hand of the devil.
That's the best analogy. I hope this makes some sense.

Ok, if you decide to be polite and answer it I'll be polite and listen. But "it depends" isn't an answer. Put a little effort into it, or don't bother.

Well you asked me if I would cure something that made society treat me bad.
I think that's pretty damn broad so I can't give you a blanket yes or no. Sorry.
I can think of scenarios that fit that description where I don't know what my answer is.

But if you want an answer I'd love to kill this paranoia I have, amongst others.

Although there are some things I have I bet society frowns upon that my friends don't care about so I might not seek a cure for it.

I'd like a cure for my anger at ignorant, homophobic bigots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back