Ex-felons face new twist in voting

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h2><a href=http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/9220185.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp&ERIGHTS=-5661513020949970984miami::[email protected]&KRD_RM=2okqooppmijioiiiiiiiikmpqn|Raoul|N&is_rd=Y>Gov. Jeb Bush has decided to eliminate paper applications for felons seeking to recover their civil rights, and attorneys assert that the move will thwart thousands of potential voters.</a></h2></center>

<blockquote>BY DEBBIE CENZIPER AND JASON GROTTO
[email protected]

Days after a Florida appeals court demanded that the state provide more help to felons who want their right to vote restored, Gov. Jeb Bush introduced a new policy that civil rights advocates say circumvents the will of the court and threatens to exclude tens of thousands of potential voters.

Last week, the First District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee unanimously ruled that state prison officials must follow the law and provide newly released felons the necessary paperwork and assistance to get their full civil rights back.

That would include a one-page application for a formal hearing before the Florida Clemency Board -- the only way an estimated 85 percent of felons will ever get their rights restored.

But instead of providing the application, Bush decided to scrap it altogether. On Wednesday, he announced that felons will now have to contact the Office of Executive Clemency when and if they want to apply for a hearing to have their rights restored.

Bush argues that the policy reduces paperwork and, therefore, provides the ease and assistance demanded by the court.

Civil rights advocates say the decision will disfranchise thousands of people in a state where more than 400,000 are already banned from voting.

Groups including the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida and the Florida Justice Institute sued the state in 2001, saying the Department of Corrections for years violated the law by not helping felons to make civil rights applications. The Department has made changes since then but still refuses to provide to outgoing inmates the one-page application needed for a hearing.</blockquote>

Not since the <i>Jim Crowe</i> era has such effort been put into disenfranchising so many voters. Even after the fraud perpetrated in 2000, the absolute gall of Jeb Bush and the Florida GOP (<i>Gang 'O Perverts</i>) display in trying to pull the same crap again is simply amazing.

Bullypulpit said:
That would include a one-page application for a formal hearing before the Florida Clemency Board -- the only way an estimated 85 percent of felons will ever get their rights restored.

But instead of providing the application, Bush decided to scrap it altogether. On Wednesday, he announced that felons will now have to contact the Office of Executive Clemency when and if they want to apply for a hearing to have their rights restored.

Bush argues that the policy reduces paperwork and, therefore, provides the ease and assistance demanded by the court.

Civil rights advocates say the decision will disfranchise thousands of people in a state where more than 400,000 are already banned from voting.

Part of the democrat "get out the vote" campaign? It figures that criminals would feel at home with the party, given the example set by our previous president.

Given the fact that many Florida slack-jaws can't figure out how to punch a simple ballot, I am puzzled why all these libs have their shorts in a knot over the governor's decision to eliminate a form and substitute a phone call. Perhaps they're afraid that these prospective voters are too dense to hit the right buttons to dial the phone number.

Here's a suggestion - open assistance offices and dial it for them.

BTW your "link" is just an e-mail address.

Merlin1047 said:
Part of the democrat "get out the vote" campaign? It figures that criminals would feel at home with the party, given the example set by our previous president.

Given the fact that many Florida slack-jaws can't figure out how to punch a simple ballot, I am puzzled why all these libs have their shorts in a knot over the governor's decision to eliminate a form and substitute a phone call. Perhaps they're afraid that these prospective voters are too dense to hit the right buttons to dial the phone number.

Here's a suggestion - open assistance offices and dial it for them.

BTW your "link" is just an e-mail address.

posted by the one and only, Bully! Not since the Jim Crowe era has such effort been put into disenfranchising so many voters.

:boohoo: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laugh:
I think I'll save my concern for the military members of FL that WERE disenfranchised during the last election.

Sorry dear, but the errors resulting in those ballots not being counted were legitimate ones, not those erected by the state in a deliberate attempt to disenfranchise black voters.

Signatures were missing from the absentee ballots, dates were not on the ballots, they were postmarked after the cutoff date...All valid reasons for rejecting them. Your "argument" is groundless. B' bye! :teeth:

Bullypulpit said:
Sorry dear, but the errors resulting in those ballots not being counted were legitimate ones, not those erected by the state in a deliberate attempt to disenfranchise black voters.

Signatures were missing from the absentee ballots, dates were not on the ballots, they were postmarked after the cutoff date...All valid reasons for rejecting them. Your "argument" is groundless. B' bye! :teeth:

Oh sweetie, you are so mistaken. They purposely disenfranchised the military votes. There was no attempt to do the same to black voters, that came at the behest of Mr. Gore's attempt to count only certain areas.

You would give all opportunities to those you perceive to be 'democratic' votes and be very stringent on those that you think may be 'republican' votes. Kinda like Al, HE LOST! GET OVER IT!

Contrast this to Democrats who have convicted felons, including sex offenders, going door to door collecting private information from people.

Contrast this to Democrats throwing out military ballots.

Be careful where you are taking this, because your standards will screw yourself more than it does Republicans.

Bullypulpit said:
<center><h2><a href=http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/9220185.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp&ERIGHTS=-5661513020949970984miami::[email protected]&KRD_RM=2okqooppmijioiiiiiiiikmpqn|Raoul|N&is_rd=Y>Gov. Jeb Bush has decided to eliminate paper applications for felons seeking to recover their civil rights, and attorneys assert that the move will thwart thousands of potential voters.</a></h2></center>

<blockquote>BY DEBBIE CENZIPER AND JASON GROTTO
[email protected]

Days after a Florida appeals court demanded that the state provide more help to felons who want their right to vote restored, Gov. Jeb Bush introduced a new policy that civil rights advocates say circumvents the will of the court and threatens to exclude tens of thousands of potential voters.

Last week, the First District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee unanimously ruled that state prison officials must follow the law and provide newly released felons the necessary paperwork and assistance to get their full civil rights back.

Groups including the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida and the Florida Justice Institute sued the state in 2001, saying the Department of Corrections for years violated the law by not helping felons to make civil rights applications. The Department has made changes since then but still refuses to provide to outgoing inmates the one-page application needed for a hearing.</blockquote>

Not since the <i>Jim Crowe</i> era has such effort been put into disenfranchising so many voters. Even after the fraud perpetrated in 2000, the absolute gall of Jeb Bush and the Florida GOP (<i>Gang 'O Perverts</i>) display in trying to pull the same crap again is simply amazing.
How, on this green earth does eliminating an application disenfranchise anyone????? I have to GO GET MY voter registration. It certainly wasn't tattooed on my butt at birth. I have to GO TO THE POLLS. They aren't located in my house.

Making criminals responsible for their own voting process is certainly NO MORE of an impediment.

Let me make sure I understand the voting standards supported by Dems and Bully:

Absentee Ballot: Missing date - disqualified.
Florida punch ballot: "Dimpled chad" - vote for Gore

Absentee Ballot: Wrong date format - disqualified.
Florida punch ballot: "Hanging chad" - vote for Gore

Absentee Ballot: Late postmark - disqualified
Florida punch ballot: Double punch - vote for Gore

Absentee Ballot: Name does not match exactly - disqualified
Florida punch ballot: Voter's name matches headstone in cemetery plot - vote for Gore.

Absentee Ballot: No vote for president - entry ignored - no vote counted.
Florida punch ballot: No punch for president, but other votes Democrat - vote for Gore.

Absentee Ballot: Voter responsible for accurate completion. Must not fold, spindle or mutilate. Must be completed to EXACTING standards. Must be in mail by deadline. Must be mailed to correct address. Everything must be done by voter without any assistance from "concerned" Democrats.

Florida punch ballot: Democrats fan out across the state to every nursing home, housing project, single wide mobile home and homeless shelter. They seek out every senile or drunken or lazy or stupid person they can find. They provide meals, transportation to and from polling places, in-depth briefing on how to vote and for whom, and stand solicitously by their "voter" to answer any questions. Somehow they still can't get it right and the election ends in a shambles.

Democrats are furious that their efforts to rig the election did not work.
Somehow it is now the fault of the state of Florida.
Somehow it is the fault of those highly complicated punch cards.

Democrats demand a recount.

First recount confirms result.

Second recount confirms result.

Supreme courts strikes down Democrat attempts to cherry-pick recount precincts.

Democrats scream "Bush stole the election".

And they still won't shut up about it three and a half years later.

Mercy.

Forum List

Back