Ex-cons can no longer be boxed out of jobs

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
BUSINESS OWNERS, take note: "Ban the Box" goes into effect tomorrow.

Pull up a chair if you just uttered a deeply confused, "Huh? Wha'?"

"Ban the Box" - also known by its less-catchy official name, the Philadelphia Fair Criminal Screening Standards Ordinance - was signed into law by Mayor Nutter in April.

The ordinance prohibits any business in the city that employs more than 10 people from asking job-seekers either on their application or during their first interview if they have any criminal convictions.

Courts, prisons and the Police Department are exempt from the law.

Ex-cons can no longer be boxed out of jobs | Philadelphia Daily News | 01/12/2012

Exemptions are pretty interesting.

How many job applications will have to be destroyed? Not very green Mayor Nutter. :doubt:

Comments?

I believe something like 20 percent of Phillyites are felons.

But particularly disturbing were the exemptions. What about schools, daycares, banks? It makes no sense to me.

BUSINESS OWNERS, take note: "Ban the Box" goes into effect tomorrow.

Pull up a chair if you just uttered a deeply confused, "Huh? Wha'?"

"Ban the Box" - also known by its less-catchy official name, the Philadelphia Fair Criminal Screening Standards Ordinance - was signed into law by Mayor Nutter in April.

The ordinance prohibits any business in the city that employs more than 10 people from asking job-seekers either on their application or during their first interview if they have any criminal convictions.

Courts, prisons and the Police Department are exempt from the law.

Ex-cons can no longer be boxed out of jobs | Philadelphia Daily News | 01/12/2012

Exemptions are pretty interesting.

How many job applications will have to be destroyed? Not very green Mayor Nutter. :doubt:

Comments?

typical...the Courts, prisons and the Police Department are exempt from the law but ma and pa grocer or retail store owner have to take their chances......Mayor Nutter...:lol:...

I believe something like 20 percent of Phillyites are felons.

But particularly disturbing were the exemptions. What about schools, daycares, banks? It makes no sense to me.

damn I got you to that damned number, sorry:D

hey I agree but you know the power structure always protest itself first....the rest can eat cake ;)

I had to be fingerprinted for my teaching license and send in a criminal history report with my resume. I In NJ,VOLUNTEERS, need to be fingerprinted to work coach or work in the schools. I wonder if PA has the same rules. State law would have to supercede.

I wonder whose brother in law does criminal histories...Somebody will get rich off this I'm sure. (In addition to the lawyers)

New Topics

Forum List

Back