Ex-Bellevue Washington cop arrested third time in domestic violence case

According to the NCVC 6.6 million people are stalked annually. Have you/how was it resolved?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I believed so but couldn't prove it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Ex-Bellevue cop arrested third time in domestic violence case

A former Bellevue police officer was arrested for the third time Tuesday in an ongoing domestic violence case involving his ex-girlfriend, King County prosecutors confirmed Thursday.

John Kivlin, 48, was already charged with fourth-degree assault, tampering with a witness and two counts of violation of a court order for allegedly disobeying a no-contact order with his ex-girlfriend. Prosecutors added an additional tampering charge and two more counts of violation of a court order, claiming he continued to contact his ex-girlfriend while out of jail on bail.

He's now back in jail, held on $500,000 bail.

The most recent violations took place on Aug. 10 and Aug. 14, the new charges say. Kivlin allegedly sent the woman 13 text messages in the span of 2 1/2 hours that evening and begged her to meet with him.

"I know I shouldn't contact you but I need to see you," he wrote, according to court documents. "I'm packing up my house for sale next week, my divorce is pending, and I've lost my job. I know I don't deserve your compassion, but I'm asking for it because of what we had." He also admitted to driving by her house to see if she was home.

He then sent two emails after midnight Aug. 14, containing additional declarations of love and more appeals to say one final goodbye.

Kivlin had been placed on paid administrative leave after his initial arrest in April, but Bellevue Police Department spokesman Officer Seth Tyler wrote in an email Friday that he resigned two weeks ago after 16 years with the agency.

Kivlin was arrested at Bellevue City Hall April 28, one day after his girlfriend ended their relationship and went to Bellevue police to report him for checking the records connected to her license plate and to disclose photos of injuries he allegedly inflicted on her weeks earlier.

The former couple met on Craigslist and shared a tumultuous relationship from September 2017 to April 2018, police reports say.

The woman told Bellevue police April 27 that Kivlin had run her plates several times while they were together and told her that if she were to report him, "he would try to make it a living hell to drive in Bellevue by calling in favors to his friend to stop her," according to the King County Sheriff's Office, which investigated the case.

She also provided photos of facial injuries that she claims Kivlin caused.

Several texts in January and February show that Kivlin reportedly admitted to using his status as a police officer to run the woman's plates.

The woman had made multiple attempts at ending their relationship and he assaulted her during those efforts, reports say.

Investigators found that Kivlin used a program at the Bellevue Police Department at least three times to look into the woman's background without her consent. He had also used 911 dispatch twice to do the same, the sheriff's office detective wrote.​

I am not anti-cop as ha been stated here previously, but I am very definitely anit-bad cop and this story illustrates why. It's impossible to get away from a person who is stalking you using police resources and databases. I'm glad to see our law enforcement agencies have been taking this type of abuse by their officers very seriously which is very much appreciated.

New Topics

Forum List

Back