Ex-ambassador to Egypt: Israel in strategic crisis after Mubarak's downfall

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
NAZARETH, (PIC)-- Former ambassador to Egypt Zvi Mazel said that Israel now after the downfall of Hosni Mubarak's regime is facing a wide strategic crisis and a hostile situation, and has almost lost its allies in the region.

"It's over, there is no one left to lead the pragmatic, moderate [Egyptian] state," Mazel told Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.

In a separate incident, Nazareth city, the largest Palestinian city in the 1948 occupied lands, and other nearby areas have witnessed celebrations for the victory of the Egyptian people's revolution.

Hundreds of Palestinians reportedly took to the streets of the city waving flags of Egypt and chanting slogans in support of the Egyptian people.

images_News_2011_02_12_Egypt-intifada_300_0.jpg

No Islamic nation is ever really leaderless in my opinion,,, there is a common long held thought in the area that a Mahdi, a holy leader is waiting just out of sight to lead the faithful into a era of a world wide Caliphate (forget a Democracy) that will oversee the head lopping and neck cutting prior to the worlds end times. Religious gyro compasses never stop spinning or wind down in that part of the world.

NAZARETH, (PIC)-- Former ambassador to Egypt Zvi Mazel said that Israel now after the downfall of Hosni Mubarak's regime is facing a wide strategic crisis and a hostile situation, and has almost lost its allies in the region.

"It's over, there is no one left to lead the pragmatic, moderate [Egyptian] state," Mazel told Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.

In a separate incident, Nazareth city, the largest Palestinian city in the 1948 occupied lands, and other nearby areas have witnessed celebrations for the victory of the Egyptian people's revolution.

Hundreds of Palestinians reportedly took to the streets of the city waving flags of Egypt and chanting slogans in support of the Egyptian people.

Of course......I think hes right in that their strategic chessboard has now been scrambled, they must pull out plans I am sure their staff has that puts them in a posture to respond to any political moves or on the ground situation changes.

I am sure they are going to beef up their gaza border area but thats not the problem, the problem is Egypt has responsibility for border areas outside Israeli control.

If the MB is smart they will gradually build a humanitarian outreach push that appears to be benign , as a Muslim to Muslim outreach to gaza, building up the soft persuasion their types always seem to garner from the useful idiots that are ready to buy it, amnesty intl. and the rest of the NGO lot. The goal of course will be to get their people on that border, just as Hezbollah has at the airports, ports etc. in Lebanon, so as to assist smuggling for weapons etc.

Of course......I think hes right in that their strategic chessboard has now been scrambled, they must pull out plans I am sure their staff has that puts them in a posture to respond to any political moves or on the ground situation changes.

I am sure they are going to beef up their gaza border area but thats not the problem, the problem is Egypt has responsibility for border areas outside Israeli control.

If the MB is smart they will gradually build a humanitarian outreach push that appears to be benign , as a Muslim to Muslim outreach to gaza, building up the soft persuasion their types always seem to garner from the useful idiots that are ready to buy it, amnesty intl. and the rest of the NGO lot. The goal of course will be to get their people on that border, just as Hezbollah has at the airports, ports etc. in Lebanon, so as to assist smuggling for weapons etc.

"Smuggling" is an interesting term. Smuggling is bringing things into a country illegally.

What law would they be breaking?

I am sure it has injured Israel's strategy but frankly, they've defeated over-whelmed odds before. I doubt they're going to lose, especially with the backing of nations much larger and stronger then it. I hope they can find peace, but if Egypt ends up going to a government that wants to get back at Israel, they better have a good strategy, cause their record is pretty crappy.

I am sure it has injured Israel's strategy but frankly, they've defeated over-whelmed odds before. I doubt they're going to lose, especially with the backing of nations much larger and stronger then it. I hope they can find peace, but if Egypt ends up going to a government that wants to get back at Israel, they better have a good strategy, cause their record is pretty crappy.

I don't see a military attack on Israel by Egypt.

I wouldn't rule it out, if a radical regime takes over that decides it wants to attack Israel, I don't see the Egyptian public going against it. Economic issues, hatred against Israel, shame in losing to them in 4 different engagements, what other cause would they need?

I wouldn't rule it out, if a radical regime takes over that decides it wants to attack Israel, I don't see the Egyptian public going against it. Economic issues, hatred against Israel, shame in losing to them in 4 different engagements, what other cause would they need?

OK, but Israel's military is its long suit. Its legitimacy is its short suit.

Egypt always propped up Israel's legitimacy. That could turn around.

Israel is a Jewish State. Egypt is a nation made up of Muslim (mostly Sunni) 90%*. These two peoples have not been getting along since '48. I understand it is unlikely, but it is a possibility, that could become even more real if a group takes control that wants to have vengeance, or just destroy them out of hatred, either way, same war.

I hope Egypt and Israel can become allies someday, Israel could always use friends.

*=http://www.indexmundi.com/egypt/demographics_profile.html

Israel is a Jewish State. Egypt is a nation made up of Muslim (mostly Sunni) 90%*. These two peoples have not been getting along since '48. I understand it is unlikely, but it is a possibility, that could become even more real if a group takes control that wants to have vengeance, or just destroy them out of hatred, either way, same war.

I hope Egypt and Israel can become allies someday, Israel could always use friends.

I don't think religion is that important. The big rub between Muslims and Jews is an Israeli creation. Israel has been very bad for this relationship that was not a major problem before 1948.

Allies? I don't see that without external pressure. I don't see any military actions either.

"Smuggling" is an interesting term. Smuggling is bringing things into a country illegally.

natural law.

natural law.

The Palestinians have the legal right to defend themselves.

I don't think religion is that important. The big rub between Muslims and Jews is an Israeli creation. Israel has been very bad for this relationship that was not a major problem before 1948.

Allies? I don't see that without external pressure. I don't see any military actions either.

Well, I do not see how what you are I think matters to Egyptians or Israelis. The fact is, just because they haven't attacked Israel in 30+ years doesn't mean they love them, or want to be any type of relationship with them. I was shown a picture, and it describes how I see the argument of Israel's creation:

aendunjustjewoccuptation7ld.jpg

I said I hope, doesn't mean it will come true, or is even likely, I doubt it will happen that Egypt become a ally of Israel's, but I hope someday they can find a friendship.

Forum List

Back