Evolution vs. Anthropogenic Global Warming

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
With the recent Climategate Scandal, a discussion of the differences and similarities between AGW and Evolution are warranted.

As far as scientific theory goes, evolution has proven itself particularly useful. Specifically, it explains why bacteria and viruses keep changing to defeat our medical technology. Without evolutionary theory, there's no reason why bacteria and viruses should change at all.

Unless God makes modern bacteria antibiotic-resistant, and creates new types of viruses like HIV, just to make our lives miserable? (although if you asked Pat Robertson, he'd argue God created HIV to punish the homosexuals).

How does evolution differ from Climategate? In several important ways:

1. Unlike AGW, Evolutionary theory is continually evolving, changing as new discoveries are made. The core of the theory is Darwin's principle of "Natural Selection", but his other ideas which were shown to be false have since been dropped.

Part of the problem with evolution-skeptics is that they argue against Darwin's version of the theory, not realizing that the theory has dramatically changed. There are now answers to many questions skeptics had 200 years ago.

2. Unlike AGW, scientists have and continue to aggressively argue over the details of evolutionary theory. Even Darwin, in his day, had arguments with rival evolutionary theorists (see Lamarck, Leibniz, Herder, Buffon, etc). Darwin's theory of Natural Selection is the only theory from that era which has survived nearly 200 years of peer-review.

3. AGW is a very new theory, established merely twenty years ago. In contrasts, evolutionary theory dates back to the natural philosophers of ancient Greece and China, although it wasn't until the 1700s that science had become advanced enough to generate convincing evidence to support or oppose the theory.

4. Evolution is only a theory, much like Einstein's Theory of Relativity. The deaths of 220,000 Japanese in 1945 are evidence supporting relativity, while the differentiation and fundamental change observed in bacteria, viruses, and some birds are evidence of Evolutionary Theory.

The reason why they are both considered scientific theory, is because they are falsifiable. That is to say, both Special Relativity and Modern Evolution can be proven false...and indeed, many early evolutionary theories have been shown to be false.

5. Last, but not least, there is the matter of scale. AGW was created and pushed by a small group of elite insiders, who went to great pains, even breaking the law, to keep outside scientists out of their research. Evolutionary theory is being studied by thousands of scientists acting independently around the world, and skeptics are actively encouraged to join in on the research.

What isn't tolerated, however, is using scientific publications to argue the validity of a particular religion (monotheism), as the Intelligent Design people do. This often causes the ID folks to scream "conspiracy," but rather, it is a matter of scientific integrity. The scientific community avoids any theories that involve supernatural deities, because there is no way to perform rigorous experiments upon said gods. How, pray tell, do the ID folks intend to prove that there is but one intelligent designer, and not a pantheon of intelligent designers? They cannot, and thus intelligent design stunts scientific discovery.

Last edited:
I read this early today, and thought I'd add in that a big difference between Evolution and AGW is a matter of ego.

If you exam relativity, theories on celestial motion, germ theories, or namely any other theory in science you'll find that the theory seeks to understand some underlying physical law. Mankind (Or God) isn't really the focus.

Global Warming theories seem to take a different track. The underlying theme seems to be that after noticing that temperatures were on an up-tick, the early adopters automatically assumed that mankind was the cause. That seems to require a certain amount of....ego... about mankind's power and place on the planet that other theories seem to lack, to their benefit.

I think Mankind does have the power to affect the environment, but the extent that global warming theorists claim smacks of a certain humanistic egotism that sits uncomfortably with me.

I wasn't sure what the point of the thread was? Given that global warming and evolution are denied by the same people, some similarity must exist. Can you find it? The Scopes Trial should have settled at least one of the debates. After all a majority of Americans still don't believe in that theory. Theories in America are much weaker than conspiracies. Another oddity of our culture. Given that fact it would seem majorities in America are not very reliable determinants of the correctness of a theory. Oh sorry, theories are merely theories, and until hell freezes over debatable. Of course most Americans have never looked in a mirror nude so surely there is a reason they see no resemblance to any other species?

But back on a serious track, anyone old enough to see the results of lake, river, and ocean pollution as well as landfills that will be toxic forever knows that man can ruin the earth in all sorts of ways. And while the jury is still out on the effect man's wasteful use of materials has on this rather small planet, why not consider the positives of a Green world. Seems the sensible thing to do.

Historical trends in carbon dioxide concentrations and temperature, on a geological and recent time scale - Maps and Graphics at UNEP/GRID-Arendal

More Proof of Global Warming: Scientific American
Science news videos from Scientific American

Facts About Global Warming: Do You Know the Truth?
Scientific Proof of Global Warming : Planetsave

11 Facts About Global Warming | Do Something

The 400,000 year view on global warming
James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Video on TED.com

But we will be all be dead regardless of who is right - oblivion comes too soon for genuine care.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/What-Leave-Behind-Derrick-Jensen/dp/1583228675/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260199991&sr=1-5]Amazon.com: What We Leave Behind (9781583228678): Derrick Jensen, Aric McBay: Books[/ame]

"It is not enough to ask, ‘Will my act harm other people?’ Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, ‘Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people?’ The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great." Derek Parfit

I wasn't sure what the point of the thread was? Given that global warming and evolution are denied by the same people, some similarity must exist. Can you find it? The Scopes Trial should have settled at least one of the debates. After all a majority of Americans still don't believe in that theory. Theories in America are much weaker than conspiracies. Another oddity of our culture. Given that fact it would seem majorities in America are not very reliable determinants of the correctness of a theory. Oh sorry, theories are merely theories, and until hell freezes over debatable. Of course most Americans have never looked in a mirror nude so surely there is a reason they see no resemblance to any other species?

But back on a serious track, anyone old enough to see the results of lake, river, and ocean pollution as well as landfills that will be toxic forever knows that man can ruin the earth in all sorts of ways. And while the jury is still out on the effect man's wasteful use of materials has on this rather small planet, why not consider the positives of a Green world. Seems the sensible thing to do.

Historical trends in carbon dioxide concentrations and temperature, on a geological and recent time scale - Maps and Graphics at UNEP/GRID-Arendal

But we will be all be dead regardless of who is right - oblivion comes too soon for genuine care.

Amazon.com: What We Leave Behind (9781583228678): Derrick Jensen, Aric McBay: Books

"It is not enough to ask, ‘Will my act harm other people?’ Even if the answer is No, my act may still be wrong, because of its effects on other people. I should ask, ‘Will my act be one of a set of acts that will together harm other people?’ The answer may be Yes. And the harm to others may be great." Derek Parfit

bullshit

A plausible argument that is actually fallacious, especially when someone dishonestly presents it as if it were legitimate reasoning.
Sophists were Presocratic philosophers who offered to teach young Athenians how to use logic and rhetoric to defeat opponents in any controversy. Socrates and Plato sharply criticized most of the sophists because they accepted monetary rewards for encouraging unprincipled persuasive methods.

This is not directed at the honesty of anyone; it is simply worth keeping in mind when issues arise and opinions are expressed especially when the arguments are framed within political or religious discourse.

The term "Evolution" makes me cringe.

We're all energy, from people to viruses. What is described as "Evolution" is a catch all phrase for the energetic INTENT of living organisms -- we're not all clueless sacks of protoplasm waiting to get hit by gamma rays.

Bacteria "mutate" because they desire to continue living and being aware and that desire helps a few enterprising bacterium find a new shape that accommodates whatever we send to kill them.

Bacteria have the ability to pass along their new found defenses to other bacteria and once they learn how to defend against our medicine they NEVER forget it, not in a thousand generations.

I find the idea of "Random mutations" as the saving grace of bacteria, just dumb, ignorant to how life works.

We're all energy, from people to viruses. What is described as "Evolution" is a catch all phrase for the energetic INTENT of living organisms -- we're not all clueless sacks of protoplasm waiting to get hit by gamma rays.

Bacteria "mutate" because they desire to continue living and being aware and that desire helps a few enterprising bacterium find a new shape that accommodates whatever we send to kill them.

Bacteria have the ability to pass along their new found defenses to other bacteria and once they learn how to defend against our medicine they NEVER forget it, not in a thousand generations.

I find the idea of "Random mutations" as the saving grace of bacteria, just dumb, ignorant to how life works.

I didn't realized bacteria are so smart. You must be a doctor.

I didn't realized bacteria are so smart. You must be a doctor.

You may well be smarter than the average bacterium, but they too have a self awareness and desire to continue living

And while the jury is still out on the effect man's wasteful use of materials has on this rather small planet, why not consider the positives of a Green world. Seems the sensible thing to do.

That's the one sympathetic view I share with AGW acolytes. I think that exploring some of the Green technologies is worthwhile in and of itself, just as exploring alternative energy sources is a pressing national security issue, not just an environmental one.

Mankind can affect the environment. If you doubt that, consider what the aftermath of a full scale nuclear exchange would be. The problem I had with AGW is that there are plenty of natural sources of CO2 and other green house gases that appear to out produce mankind by enormous amounts. In the face of things, is man really so powerful that we alone are tipping the balance?

Chances are good we're on track for a natural cycle of heating and cooling.

Amazon.com: What We Leave Behind (9781583228678): Derrick Jensen, Aric McBay: Books

I support the reason and logic of evolution becuase it makes sense.

I doubt the reason and logic of Anthropogenic Global Warming because it does not make sense.

That you have hung your argument from the supposition that those who are opposed to one are also opposed to the other makes everything else you said wrong.

The global climate has risen by a total of 0.7 degrees in 2000 years. Across the first 1000 years, the rise was 0.4 degrees and across the second 1000 years, the rise was 0.3 degrees.

The second 1000 years includes the rise of industrialism and the cited cause of AGW.

In order for one to reject evolution, one needs to reject science.

In order for one to support AGW, one needs to reject science.

Here is where the similarity exists. Can YOU find it?

In a sense you are correct Frank. Natural evolution doesn't happen "on purpose".

My kingdom for a generic example.....

Imagine if Red Maple (Acer Rubrum) samaras (helicopters) fall on both the western and eastern side of a river thanks to strong winds. On the eastern side a large number of deer graze. These deer love to rub their antlers on poor maples when they're 6 to 12 feet tall with that great feeling smooth soft bark thus girdling and killing a large number of the small Red Maples. Assuming some live they're more likely to be the ones genetically predispositioned for lower branching habits that makes antler rubbing less attractive for the deer.

Next thing you know(hundreds, thousands if years?) you have a different type of Acer Rubrum and eventually a different species if cross pollination does not occur across the river.

Global Warming theories seem to take a different track. The underlying theme seems to be that after noticing that temperatures were on an up-tick, the early adopters automatically assumed that mankind was the cause. That seems to require a certain amount of....ego... about mankind's power and place on the planet that other theories seem to lack, to their benefit.
Vanity. The basis for all religions. Mankind is vain enough to believe some all-powerful deity created the entire universe 6000 years ago and cares about little old us.

This is the same vanity that allows belief that mankind is in any way significant, even just on a planetary scale. We are not.

I doubt the reason and logic of Anthropogenic Global Warming because it does not make sense.

That you have hung your argument from the supposition that those who are opposed to one are also opposed to the other makes everything else you said wrong.

The global climate has risen by a total of 0.7 degrees in 2000 years. Across the first 1000 years, the rise was 0.4 degrees and across the second 1000 years, the rise was 0.3 degrees.
A very valid view. The next question i have is about solar activity during the first 1000 years compared to now. Its an honest question.

I believe releasing greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere is bad. How bad I'm up for discussion, but if we're increasing CO2 a steady 3% a year over natural levels then that's doubling every 33 years. That's more a world wide climate experiment than I'm comfortable with.

I believe releasing greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere is bad.
Then you should be VERY upset about water vapor and NF3, which are both FAR more powerful and efficacious greenhouse gases than the one vital to all life on the planet, CO2.

But, since neither of them is a product of evil capitalistic man's evil combustion fetish, they're either not ever mentioned or they are minimized.

Every religion needs a devil, and CO2 is the AGW devil. Evil industrial capitalistic man are the demons.

You "believe" releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere is "bad" due to conditioning and mostly emotionalism.

Last edited:
The greenhouse effect is the rise in temperature that the Earth experiences because certain gases in the atmosphere (water vapor, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane, for example) trap energy from the sun. Without these gases, heat would escape back into space and Earth’s average temperature would be about 60ºF colder. Because of how they warm our world, these gases are referred to as greenhouse gases.
How much is too much? What is the cause, and what maybe the consequences?
I don't know, but neither do any of you.
Better to keep ones head in the sand, or to be like a tree (or a smart virus? Thanks CFrank, you're always good for a laugh) & hope we evolve so to survive? Or, to adapt and protect an environment we (yep, people) have polluted out of greed and convenience? Me, I support efforts to protect our environment, small and large.

I wasn't sure what the point of the thread was? Given that global warming and evolution are denied by the same people, some similarity must exist.

I accept the validity of Evolutionary theory.
Man-made global warming on the other hand still lacks a lot of making it to the theory stage, so I doubt it.
Does this make me a denier?

The greenhouse effect is the rise in temperature that the Earth experiences because certain gases in the atmosphere (water vapor, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane, for example) trap energy from the sun. Without these gases, heat would escape back into space and Earth’s average temperature would be about 60ºF colder. Because of how they warm our world, these gases are referred to as greenhouse gases.
How much is too much? What is the cause, and what maybe the consequences?
I don't know, but neither do any of you.
Better to keep ones head in the sand, or to be like a tree (or a smart virus? Thanks CFrank, you're always good for a laugh) & hope we evolve so to survive? Or, to adapt and protect an environment we (yep, people) have polluted out of greed and convenience? Me, I support efforts to protect our environment, small and large.
Pure emotionalism.

Because you don't know what effects we are or are not having, good or bad if any, and you don't know what effects good or bad if any our trifling around with the atmosphere will do. What will the earth be LIKE if we are able to reduce CO2 emissions to just under 200ppm as the stated goal says? You really want the very LIFE GIVING gas of everything on the planet reduced that much?

And you don't mind economic slavery and redistribution of wealth on a global scale in the name of "saving the planet" which hasn't been proven is in any danger from man's activities.

You also don't seem to mind science being bastardized and fraud-ridden in order to keep this AGW scaremongering going.

You're making the emotional argument that "pollution is baaaaaad! We gotta saaaave the planet" and no one's EVER argued the opposite! No one's EVER said "pollution is good."

Put your brain in the driver's seat and get your heart in the passenger seat holding the map, where it belongs and wise up to what's going on.

Pure emotionalism.

Because you don't know what effects we are or are not having, good or bad if any, and you don't know what effects good or bad if any our trifling around with the atmosphere will do. What will the earth be LIKE if we are able to reduce CO2 emissions to just under 200ppm as the stated goal says? You really want the very LIFE GIVING gas of everything on the planet reduced that much?

And you don't mind economic slavery and redistribution of wealth on a global scale in the name of "saving the planet" which hasn't been proven is in any danger from man's activities.

You also don't seem to mind science being bastardized and fraud-ridden in order to keep this AGW scaremongering going.

See: Pascal's wager.

Pure emotionalism.

See: Pascal's wager.
Corrupted reasoning! Yes!

A very valid view. The next question i have is about solar activity during the first 1000 years compared to now. Its an honest question.

I believe releasing greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere is bad. How bad I'm up for discussion, but if we're increasing CO2 a steady 3% a year over natural levels then that's doubling every 33 years. That's more a world wide climate experiment than I'm comfortable with.

While there is a constant deposit of CO2, there is also a constant divestiture. Given the adaptability of the eco-system, I have a feeling that what produced the equilibrium in the past at the approximate 250 ppm level will again assert itself and produce a new equilibrium.

As of right now, we know for certain that every time an Ice age has begun in the last million years, CO2 was at the peak of its cycle for that interglacial. Every time. No exception. No debate. No dissenting opinions on what the data says.

Every interglacial warming period started when CO2 was at its minimum for that interglacial. Same agreement on the data.

So, we know that in the real world, when CO2 is at its minimum, warming has always started and when CO2 is at its peak, cooling has always started. This a dead on, rock solid, no debate, no doubt correlation.

We also are told that CO2 is a Greenhouse Gas and will cause warming. It never has caused warming. It never has prevented cooling. If we are to believe that CO2 has any forcing capabilities, we must also believe, given the evidence, that this forcing capability is quite weak.

Re-configuring the entire world economy to reduce CO2 as a method to reduce warming is at best ill advised and is also frought with certain disasters and probable unintended consequences that will be worse than anything ever contrived from AGW.

If the reduction of pollution is your goal, attack the use of fertilizers on lawns which are almost certainly the cause of the acidification of coastal ocean waters and the practice of dumping garbage in the oceans which is, again, almost certainly the cause of large "islands" of plastic trapped by ocean currents in defined locations.

Forum List

Back