Evolution and Extinction

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
How is it that a creature supposedly "Extinct" for 80MM years is still swimming around -- completely unevolved. Triceratops were walking the Earth with this thing

1110fish.jpg

A dinosaur-era shark with insane teeth was found swimming off the coast of Portugal

Cool article. Interesting and bizarre creature.

Here -- Oldest animal species still living on earth today (12 Photos) -- one will find images of other species that are ancient. One of them you'll probably find (not alive) at your local Home Depot and the eggs of another at the grocery store (well, maybe not grocery stores in the "middle of nowhere"). Yet another is fairly commonly encountered and is generally something of a nifty thing to see. Another, on the other hand, while also common, nobody really wants to encounter them. Lastly, one of them by some are called the ugliest fish in the sea and pretty much everything about it seems to range from gruesome to gross. LOL

How is it that a creature supposedly "Extinct" for 80MM years is still swimming around

WTH? Who since the 1800s has thought the thing has been extinct -- literally or figuratively -- for 80 million years? Oh, I know who:
  • People who've never heard of a frilled shark -- even though they are found around the word, it no surprise that folks haven't heard of the species...after all, they aren't likely to show up at a local PetSmart LOL
  • People who lived in and before the late 1800s and who were aware of frilled shark fossils.
  • People who didn't read the article cited in the OP. From the article:
    This deep sea dweller is usually found between 390 and 4,200 feet below the surface, which is why it’s rarely seen and wasn’t even discovered before the 19th century (despite being around long before humans).
Other info on them:

How is it that a creature supposedly "Extinct" for 80MM years is still swimming around -- completely unevolved. Triceratops were walking the Earth with this thing

1110fish.jpg

A dinosaur-era shark with insane teeth was found swimming off the coast of Portugal

While that is a cool looking animal, I have to burst this bubble. The media outlets have seized upon a few catch phrases, namely, "living fossil". In fact, the article you linked is horrible, and it is full of falsehoods.

For one, the shark has not remained unchanged "inside and out" for 80 million+ years. In fact, the frilled shark's earliest fossils only date back to just over 2 million years ago.

Scientists aren't like right wingnut religious zealots.
Scientists are still learning because they don't claim to know everything.

Another creationist demonstrating the willful ignorance that is their stock in trade.

You'd think after 80MM years of "Evolution" it would have grown thumbs and make lasers

It lives in the ocean and eats squid. Why would it need thumbs, or lasers?

We lived in trees and ate fruit...why did we need to evolve?

"We lived in trees and ate fruit."

And we still have the thumbs we evolved to help climb trees, and we still have the teeth we evolved to chew fruit. Frankie my man, you're not thinking any of this out before you spout off.

Another creationist demonstrating the willful ignorance that is their stock in trade.

You'd think after 80MM years of "Evolution" it would have grown thumbs and make lasers

And we still have the thumbs we evolved to help climb trees, and we still have the teeth we evolved to chew fruit. Frankie my man, you're not thinking any of this out before you spout off.

Where was the pressure to "evolve" bigger brains?

The pressure to communicate via language, as living in groups helped humans thrived.

You know, you are asking childish questions about evolution that you could go look up yourself

The pressure to communicate via language, as living in groups helped humans thrived.

You know, you are asking childish questions about evolution that you could go look up yourself

No, not at all. I'm asking why this mysterious force of "Evolution" is so selective

No, not at all. I'm asking why this mysterious force of "Evolution" is so selective

It's not. In one species, smaller size may be favored. In another, larger size.

Forum List

Back