Evil

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
As far as evil goes, my view is that evil is the "opposite" or antagonist of good. ("Evil is "Live" spelled backwards, which is an interesting coincidence).

Or possibly the "absence of good", much as dark is the absence of light.

What are other theological opinions on the subject?

Who defines good or evil? The only possibility is God. A "good" person strives to live in harmony with his/her understanding of God

Clowns and mimes are evil.

Except for Bozo, he was funny.

I don't believe evil can be conceived by dogs, cats, atheists, or other creatures who do not have judeo Christian values.

• Banned
Regarding atheists, I'm curious by what faith-based axiom you believe that certain things are evil to begin with, or that evil even exists to begin with?

Even our contemporary legal system, such as the Common Law itself, developed from older systems, including religious ones, such as that of Rome and Exodus, being based on religious axioms such as the Golden Rule, respect for families, individuals, property, other people at large, and what not.

I don't believe evil can be conceived by dogs, cats, atheists, or other creatures who do not have judeo Christian values.
So atheists can't be evil then?

You might wanna tell the god-botherer types that.

As far as evil goes, my view is that evil is the "opposite" or antagonist of good. ("Evil is "Live" spelled backwards, which is an interesting coincidence).

("Evil is "Live" spelled backwards, which is an interesting coincidence).

only in English

Clowns and mimes are evil.

Except for Bozo, he was funny.
Detroit had Milky the Clown when I was growing up.

I never thought about it, but he was white, so even he must have been evil

Milky? My God, he is white. :laughing0301:

148015139_1435107559.jpg

Regarding atheists, I'm curious by what faith-based axiom you believe that certain things are evil to begin with, or that evil even exists to begin with?

Even our contemporary legal system, such as the Common Law itself, developed from older systems, including religious ones, such as that of Rome and Exodus, being based on religious axioms such as the Golden Rule, respect for families, individuals, property, other people at large, and what not.
I would think that those who understand and appreciate these axioms would be better equipped to conceive evil, and those who simply comply with common law are limited to conceiving legal vs illegal.

Their concept of good and evil comes as a remnant of our Christian culture.Their values would be entirely different if they grew up in a primitive culture where cannibalism was practiced.

only in English
Does any other language really matter?

Their concept of good and evil comes as a remnant of our Christian culture.

Christianity is a realm of consciousness that they cannot conceive, kinda like men can't conceive what it is like to be a woman, or how lefties cannot conceive what it is like to be a righty. If you like to anthropomorphize, it is fun to imagine that atheists have some kind of moral compass that is based on the judeo Christian values of the society they live in, but the truth is that they only understand legal vs illegal. Even that is pretty shaky. Lefties have learned to navigate society in a way where they avoid punishment. Without that fear of punishment, they would steal, rape, and murder.

only in English
So?

Most people who talk about English don't even know what "English" is, and seem to be under the presumption it is solely homogenous, or distinct from the myriad of languages and dialects which formed over time, often organically to include and become what we say or think of as "English" to begin with.

Much as what is called "Old English", or Anglo Saxon, is virtually a foreign language by the standards of today's language.

Language is quite fluid, not static as many idiots presume, with complete disregard for the way in which changes or innovations to the language become established by modern dictionaries to begin with, or even what specific dialect, or which of the many different contemporary style guides of English they're actually speaking or using to begin with.

Their concept of good and evil comes as a remnant of our Christian culture.Their values would be entirely different if they grew up in a primitive culture where cannibalism was practiced.
That, of course is silly and nonsensical. A concept of Good and Evil having existed across cultures, "Christian" or otherwise, such as Zoroaster's religion, and of course not being the result of merely "what is" practiced, but on the basis of intellectual reasoning, deducing or attempting to establish what should or should not be practiced to begin with, regardless of whether it is currently practed or not.

Much as the more enlightened men and women of history, such as Socrates, rightfully objected to the inferior and heathenistic ways of the rabble of their day and age, as did the superior men and women who helped to found civilizations and veer away from the inferior ways of said lesser cultures altogether, even prior to such superior cultures having been created and manifested as a reality to begin with.

Or as another simple example, how women and men fit in mind and body, tend to eat and live healthier on their own accord than the lesser masses who gorge themselves on the nastiest processed foods readily available, no more morally or intellectually capable, or devoid of self-service and gratification than to mindlessly do whatever seems to be readily available, or maintain whatever nasty and defective habits they sadly learned from their parents, as opposed to superior maturation away from such inferior things, as mature men and women often thankfully do in adolescence and beyond.

Forum List

Back