Evil, what is it?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
In the wake of the mass shootings we often evoke the notion of evil.

So what is evil?

I've often wondered where the line between evil, stupidity, and insanity lie, or if there are any real lines.

For example, if the mass shooter had obtained a large amount of wealth for his carnage and gotten away, then we would not refer to him as insane, but since he turned the gun on himself we classify him as insane. If he had gotten away with his crime and was seen to benefit in some way from it, we would think of him as an evil genious.

For me, evil is the ability to harm others for personal profit. The odd part is they are surrendering a great deal more than they obtain for such petty quick gratification. They are surrendering their humanity for such pleasurable gratification.

In the end, the "evil" individual is no better off than the insane gunman who killed himself since the "evil" individual has essentially committed spiritual suicide and will never know peace.

*hearts*

Perhaps defining evil is something that can only be done by the dead.

What is one's understanding of life? Is life a fee that must be paid and a snare to the minds of men for the lies that have been told?

*dunno*

Quiet, basic, backwoods living with little to no technological means and limited luxurious accommodations may be the resting place many dwell who are sensitive and aware... who are able to spiritually discern the trespasses upon the mind that certain intrusions inflect upon our, however inevitable, lives.

I really don't like the term "evil", it is an absolute term in a world where everything to do with humans is subject to interpretation. It's not even the opposite of "good" because evil carries the sense of being a kind of perfection of badness, devoid of pity, humanity and empathy. Searching my vocabulary for a word that means perfect good and can't think of one right now. Absolute language is the tool of preachers and con men. "Evil" is an awesome term to attach to bad things and people, It has a punch that few non profane words have in our language, but as a concept it is slippery and hard to nail down for something that should be completely self evident.

Last edited:
Wayne_LaPierre_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg

I really don't like the term "evil", it is an absolute term in a world where everything to do with humans is subject to interpretation. It's not even the opposite of "good" because evil carries the sense of being a kind of perfection of badness, devoid of pity, humanity and empathy. Searching my vocabulary for a word that means perfect good and can't think of one right now. Absolute language is the tool of preachers and con men. "Evil" is an awesome term to attach to bad things and people, It has a punch that few non profane words have in our language, but as a concept it is slippery and hard to nail down for something that should be completely self evident.

You know you have a point there.

$hitler with child.jpg

LOL

Forum List

Back