Evil Walmart Loses Again

Considering how many of our jobs are going overseas, and the number of foreigners being brought in to do the jobs that remain here, exactly where are we suppose to find jobs that pay breadwinner salaries?

that is the crux of global capitalism. If there is a beggar in india willing to do your job on the cheap then you, american, are just shit out of luck.

You probably won't find the breadwinner of the family working at Walmart. You are not going to get paid top-notch dollars for a cashier or stock job.

These jobs are usually for low-skilled people.

As far as providing healthcare, corporations should not be obligated to provide such for their employees. If people need this, they need to find a corporation that provides it. Probably, the people who work at Walmart couldn't find a better deal elsewhere.
Tell that to people who have been laid off from their good job with health care that they were very skilled at and not having the money to move somewhere else for a better job have to work at Walmart because that is the only job they can get.
Have you not seen news lately that we are in a recession and there is no jobs or the fact that millions of people don't have health care. I guess you like the fact you have to pay a higher price for you insurance to cover the medical costs of the uninsured.

Considering how many of our jobs are going overseas, and the number of foreigners being brought in to do the jobs that remain here, exactly where are we suppose to find jobs that pay breadwinner salaries?
Exactly! My friend's dad just lost his job where he worked for twenty five years because they moved the plant to Mexico and with a shortage of jobs in my city I wonder where he might find a job.
My friend has a bachelor's degree and manager experience and she just had to take a job working the front desk at a hotel because there is nothing available and if there is many people are applying.
Human Capital Theory really comes into play with all this!

I don't shop at Kmart or Sears though I seriously doubt they can be worse than Walmart.
Actually having worked for Sears Holdings/Kmart they are not the best but are not as bad as Walmart. I worked for Kmart for four years when I was younger and they never once told me to work off the clock and I actually em working there again during the Christmas season to save money up while I go to school. While they will work 40 hrs for five weeks then cut your hours below 32 so they don't have to provide you with health care and full time benefits thy do have a somewhat health plan you can pay for as a part time worker. It isn't any place I want to stay to work and I am glad it is only for three months this time around, you are treated much better then you are at Walmart. One of my managers used to work at Walmart and just say lower managers are probably the worst off at Walmart.

Tell that to people who have been laid off from their good job with health care that they were very skilled at and not having the money to move somewhere else for a better job have to work at Walmart because that is the only job they can get.
Have you not seen news lately that we are in a recession and there is no jobs or the fact that millions of people don't have health care. I guess you like the fact you have to pay a higher price for you insurance to cover the medical costs of the uninsured.

I feel for those people that lost jobs. But we don't live in a welfare state. Your comment that I like the fact that I "have to pay a higher price for insurance" is ludicrous. No one wants to pay more than they have to.

As to the people that are that hard up. They can go on welfare if they need to. Once you are on welfare, medicaid will take care of your health care. Fortunately, I have never been in that kind of situation. A lot of the jobs that people lost were thought to be life-long jobs. We can't blame Walmart for the problems that America has created.

One of the things that I would love to see is accounting and personal finance being taught in high schools. We can't always live for today and that is how American society has been brought up to do. Teach the stories like the Grasshopper and the Ant to your kidlets. No one could have foreseen this recession coming, but the people who were raised in a generation that had seen the hard times is probably better to handle this economic crisis than anyone else.

Exactly! My friend's dad just lost his job where he worked for twenty five years because they moved the plant to Mexico and with a shortage of jobs in my city I wonder where he might find a job.
My friend has a bachelor's degree and manager experience and she just had to take a job working the front desk at a hotel because there is nothing available and if there is many people are applying.
Human Capital Theory really comes into play with all this!

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but the days of resting on the laurels of a bachelor's degree is over. You need a graduate degree. Better yet, get a degree in the sciences. I don't know how many students graduate with a degree in history, art history, English lit, sociology, psychology, generic business ... thinking that they will get a "good job." Those degrees are a dime a dozen. Even before this year happen, this was the case.

Instead of griping about what we are entitled to, people need to make changes in their thinking and their lifestyles.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but the days of resting on the laurels of a bachelor's degree is over. You need a graduate degree. Better yet, get a degree in the sciences. I don't know how many students graduate with a degree in history, art history, English lit, sociology, psychology, generic business ... thinking that they will get a "good job." Those degrees are a dime a dozen. Even before this year happen, this was the case.

Instead of griping about what we are entitled to, people need to make changes in their thinking and their lifestyles.
The point I was making is there is no jobs for most anyone right now. And what about my friend's dad who is fifty and ten or so years away from retiring? I guess it is okay is job was moved to Mexico because he can just go get another making the same money or he can go get a job at Walmart and it is his own fault why he won't have health care.

I feel for those people that lost jobs. But we don't live in a welfare state. Your comment that I like the fact that I "have to pay a higher price for insurance" is ludicrous. No one wants to pay more than they have to.
Think of it this way, people do not pay their medical bill which is how the doctor and the hospital get paid to make up for that cost they charge insurance companies more money so therefore your insurance costs go up. I mean who do really think is paying for the uninsured!

The point I was making is there is no jobs for most anyone right now. And what about my friend's dad who is fifty and ten or so years away from retiring? I guess it is okay is job was moved to Mexico because he can just go get another making the same money or he can go get a job at Walmart and it is his own fault why he won't have health care.

The friend's dad situation is entirely different. That is really unfortunate. Those are the people who I really feel for because it's not like they can start over. No it isn't ok and that wasn't his fault.

The friend's dad situation is entirely different. That is really unfortunate. Those are the people who I really feel for because it's not like they can start over. No it isn't ok and that wasn't his fault.
and as for my friend she got a degree in a field that was booming at the time and still is but in areas she does not have the money to move to right now. I think my point is we need jobs that pay more and have room for growth.
I do feel some people are unskilled and have no choice to take certain jobs but some of these people grew up in a different era and now are screwed. My last job which involved heavy lifting we had this lady who was probably 65 who should have lived where I worked instead of working there but she needed a job and health care pays more then say Walmart. She ended up injuring herself twice which then the company had to pay LNI benefits which doesn't cover all of what she would have been making.
She is a prime example why I decided to go back to school which I am glad I am doing because I don't have to find a real job right now, so hoepfully in the next few years things turn around.

Watching people like Chris and sealy try to demonize Walmart cracks me up.

Walmart is probably one of the most socially responsible corporations in the world, and considering their size, that's saying a lot. They do more for charities and the environment that you could ever dream of doing. They also invest a LOT of money into every community they operate in. They promote locate businesses, provide jobs, give to local charities, and do countless other things that most corporations don't bother doing.

If it weren't for places like Walmart, most families wouldn't be able to afford to eat. You think it's evil because they want to provide their goods at the lowest possible cost? You're fucking stupid. It's not their fault no one else has been able to mimick their business strategies.

I'm not saying Walmart doesn't have its flaws. They've been tangled up in plenty of lawsuits. And guess what, they've paid for every one of them. And when they come under public scrutiny for an unethical business practice, what's the first thing they do? They change to satisfy the public. They care more about their public image than politicians do. If you knew how much money they waste just to keep up their public image, you'd be amazed.

and as for my friend she got a degree in a field that was booming at the time and still is but in areas she does not have the money to move to right now. I think my point is we need jobs that pay more and have room for growth.
I do feel some people are unskilled and have no choice to take certain jobs but some of these people grew up in a different era and now are screwed. My last job which involved heavy lifting we had this lady who was probably 65 who should have lived where I worked instead of working there but she needed a job and health care pays more then say Walmart. She ended up injuring herself twice which then the company had to pay LNI benefits which doesn't cover all of what she would have been making.
She is a prime example why I decided to go back to school which I am glad I am doing because I don't have to find a real job right now, so hoepfully in the next few years things turn around.

I have to agree with PoliticalChick on this. Look I went to college after 5 years in the Army, then got a Juris Doctor degree. I decided I hated practicing law and moved to tech. During that move, I self-studied took 7 tests qualifying me to be a Certified Network Engineer. Subsequent to that I've upgraded that certification with another test. I've self-studied to get a Cisco Certified Network Associate certification, Certified Information Systems Security Professional certification and a Certified Information Systems Auditor certification. Both of the last two have continuing education requirements to the tune of 40 hours per year. If I can't rest on my laurels with a Juris Doctor degree, why should anyone expect to be able to do that?

The days of graduating high school and getting hired at the local factory to turn the same bolt on an assembly line 7 hours a day are over. The work force needs to be educated for its own self-preservation. It also needs to be mobile. If there are no jobs in your area....move. If you used to work in the GM plant that closed, re-educate yourself and get a new job in a new field.

For christ's sake, these auto workers that had the "job bank" benefit got paid 95% for not working. I don't know how many were banked, but if they didn't use that time and money to get a new skill then I have 0 sympathy for them. They all could have come out of that situation making more than they ever made as an auto worker.

Walmart is probably one of the most socially responsible corporations in the world, and considering their size, that's saying a lot. They do more for charities and the environment that you could ever dream of doing. They also invest a LOT of money into every community they operate in. They promote locate businesses, provide jobs, give to local charities, and do countless other things that most corporations don't bother doing.

If it weren't for places like Walmart, most families wouldn't be able to afford to eat. You think it's evil because they want to provide their goods at the lowest possible cost? You're fucking stupid. It's not their fault no one else has been able to mimick their business strategies.

I'm not saying Walmart doesn't have its flaws. They've been tangled up in plenty of lawsuits. And guess what, they've paid for every one of them. And when they come under public scrutiny for an unethical business practice, what's the first thing they do? They change to satisfy the public. They care more about their public image than politicians do. If you knew how much money they waste just to keep up their public image, you'd be amazed.
Watch Higher Cost of Lower Prices you might think differently and how they treat their employees here and in China along with how they treat their communities especially in refernce to pollution.

I have to agree with PoliticalChick on this. Look I went to college after 5 years in the Army, then got a Juris Doctor degree. I decided I hated practicing law and moved to tech. During that move, I self-studied took 7 tests qualifying me to be a Certified Network Engineer. Subsequent to that I've upgraded that certification with another test. I've self-studied to get a Cisco Certified Network Associate certification, Certified Information Systems Security Professional certification and a Certified Information Systems Auditor certification. Both of the last two have continuing education requirements to the tune of 40 hours per year. If I can't rest on my laurels with a Juris Doctor degree, why should anyone expect to be able to do that?

The days of graduating high school and getting hired at the local factory to turn the same bolt on an assembly line 7 hours a day are over. The work force needs to be educated for its own self-preservation. It also needs to be mobile. If there are no jobs in your area....move. If you used to work in the GM plant that closed, re-educate yourself and get a new job in a new field.

For christ's sake, these auto workers that had the "job bank" benefit got paid 95% for not working. I don't know how many were banked, but if they didn't use that time and money to get a new skill then I have 0 sympathy for them. They all could have come out of that situation making more than they ever made as an auto worker.
because it is sure easy to be fifty with three children, one handicapped in reference to my friends dad to raise just to say hey I am going to go back to college, screw the mortgage!

Watch Higher Cost of Lower Prices you might think differently and how they treat their employees here and in China along with how they treat their communities especially in refernce to pollution.

I don't have to watch some documentary made by people that are out to demonize Walmart to know what they do (which I've actually seen, for the record). I go to the Sam M. Walton College of Business (you figure out who that is), and I spend around 8 hours a day talking about Walmart. My area of study is accounting research, so I've spent hours pouring over Walmart's financial statements and annual reports. The company I work for does research for Walmart and their vendors. I know what they spend. I know what they do. I know their business practices.

As for pollution, Walmart is one of the innovators in energy conservation. Many of their newest stores utilize cutting edge technology to reduce energy consumption and pollution. For instance, the new Sam's Club near me recycles rain water collected on the roof of the building to water the plants in their gardening section. They also use hydro power from a local creek to power the lights in the parking lot (it doesn't generate enough to power the building itself, unfortunately).

They are also working on researching ways to measure carbon footprints for every item they sell so that you know exactly how much energy was consumed to create that product, and their goal is to be able to print this information on every label of every product in every store. Like I said, they are one of the most socially responsible corporations in the world. And if they can put forth this much effort, everyone else will follow suit.

Instead of trusting one documentary, why don't you research the facts for yourself?

Last edited:
because it is sure easy to be fifty with three children, one handicapped in reference to my friends dad to raise just to say hey I am going to go back to college, screw the mortgage!

I understand this man. He counted on the steady job to pay for his mortgage and the kids' college education and now he's got to figure how to do this. People are busting their butts working 2 - 3 jobs now. I know that's not how he wanted to work in his final years before retirement. He probably will not be able to retire on the schedule he was thinking too. This might be a good lesson for his kids. Perhaps they can chip in too. I worked and went to school at night. It's not as easy, but it is doable.

I thought this was fairly clear from my post, but I'll state it more succinctly, it isn't easy. If it ever was easy, it isn't now. If he got used to it being easy, he was lucky for 30 years. I hope he enjoyed it while he had it so good.

By the way, he doesn't need to go back to college to retrain. There are plenty of good certification programs he can take in his "spare" time. They will require a much smaller investment in time and money than college.

I meant that they are getting a beating publicity wise with the trampling death and now the court going against them...

You are right that they are recession-proof.

There are good reasons that they are taking a beating publicity-wise. It's illegal to force non-salaried employees to work hours they aren't paid for. That's why Walmart settled in court. If they'd lost, and it looked like they would, they risked paying BILLIONS to people who ostensibly worked for free.

I'm all for lower prices. But, Walmart used to be a company that took pride in selling American-made products. Not anymore. Walmart used to have reputable business practices. Not anymore.

HOwever, the people who work for Walmart are often desperate enough for the money not to take them to court over these kinds of unethical, yet widespread practices. I hope that Walmart takes it up the ass financially in court for what they've done to American workers. And, for what they've done to American factories.

Want to know why most bikes aren't made in the U.S. anymore? Look no further than Walmart.

They're lowering wages.

Oh, and bravo for paying up when you are found guilty. What humanitarians.

PS. When JP Morgan, Rockafellor & Carnege started the Federal Reserves, they showed what humanitarians they were by giving away half their fortunes. Now what is the national debt up to? How many trillions? Now that was a good PR move and investment. GET IT?

America doesn't need companies like walmart. Meijers will do just fine.

Conservatives true agenda is to return to the world of Scrooge & Marley, Inc. They're working to bring about a return to Robber Baron feudalism, with a stable, rich, and powerful ruling class, and an impoverished, frightened, and politically impotent working class.

Forum List

Back