Everything we think about the political correctness debate is wrong

The irony that those who stand up to intolerance are labeled intolerant has not been lost on me.

ā€œToleranceā€ is very often not the virtue that it is made out to be, and ā€œintoleranceā€ very often not the vice.

Tolerance of evil is no virtue.

Tolerance of madness is no virtue.

Tolerance of perversion and degeneration is no virtue.

And intolerance of these things is no vice; though I have little doubt that that is the intolerance of which you speak.

What is lost today is the fact that the opinion you yourself need to challenge the most - is your own.
And the ONLY way to do that objectively is to hear the opinions of others - especially those that disagree with yours.
Shutting out other opinions, refusing to listen to them is refusing the opportunity to understand the basis of those opinions you differ from. Sometimes those opinions can sway you to actually change your opinion!

How else is a person to learn the an accurate meaning of right and wrong when you only listen to one side of an issue!!
All of this is lost on the millennial mindset.

It is making the distinction between right and wrong, and insisting that this distinction matters, that now gets condemned as ā€œintoleranceā€.

Support for free speech is rising, and is higher among liberals and college graduates.

Itā€™s also interesting to note that, contrary to the vision of a generation of young authoritarians brainwashed in elite universities, there is very little age polarization on these issues ā€” 56 percent of 18- to 34-year-olds support the right of the racist to give a speech, versus 60 percent of the overall population.

Given the stark generation gaps that we see on many political issues these days, thatā€™s a remarkably small divergence. Itā€™s also quite possibly driven by compositional effects, since white people are moderately more supportive (62 percent) of letting the racist speak but whites are a smaller share of the younger cohort. African Americans have become more supportive over time of letting racists speak, with 56 percent saying it should be allowed in 2015 versus 47 percent back in 1975.

Last but by no means least, there is a strong correlation between educational attainment and support for allowing free speech ā€” though it has narrowed a little bit over time.

College graduates are most likely to want to allow both the racist and the anti-American cleric to speak.

Which I already knew, but here we are with beaucoup citations for my allegations. The whole "triggering," "melting" brouhaha is just so much sliming of young people. Further, thinking that entire segments of society should just STFU because you don't agree with them is actually un-American.

Read the article maybe?

You didn't read the article either, did you. Didn't see the graphs, didn't interpret the information.

This is just one of the many reasons the GOP has become an unthinking, unfeeling, reactionary laughing stock.

Its a hacked out article.
LOL
maybe in the UK where that data was accumulated. Not here. Thats for damn sure.

You did not possibly have time to read or digest the article. Your only intent is to dismiss it, and so I shall dismiss you.

Why do all regressive trolls cry about "reading" when they are disagreed with over their un-American opinions?

Forum List

Back