Everything we think about the political correctness debate is wrong

I don't have to read the article to know it is a pile of horse dung.
We have seen examples of liberal colleges shutting out conservative speakers nearly every week somewhere. Including 2 this past weekend.

But....but....but articles and graphs never lie

When I was growing up being politically correct was called being polite and having manners...

I'm probably older than you, and I don't remember any time when it was considered “being polite and having manners” to corrupt the language in order to suppress the expression of beliefs and opinions that certain pathetic cretins found disagreeable.

In fact, those of us familiar with the works of George Orwell would have recognized the relationship between your version of “being polite and having manners” and Orwell's concept of “Newspeak”.

Last edited:
Support for free speech is rising, and is higher among liberals and college graduates.

It’s also interesting to note that, contrary to the vision of a generation of young authoritarians brainwashed in elite universities, there is very little age polarization on these issues — 56 percent of 18- to 34-year-olds support the right of the racist to give a speech, versus 60 percent of the overall population.

Given the stark generation gaps that we see on many political issues these days, that’s a remarkably small divergence. It’s also quite possibly driven by compositional effects, since white people are moderately more supportive (62 percent) of letting the racist speak but whites are a smaller share of the younger cohort. African Americans have become more supportive over time of letting racists speak, with 56 percent saying it should be allowed in 2015 versus 47 percent back in 1975.

Last but by no means least, there is a strong correlation between educational attainment and support for allowing free speech — though it has narrowed a little bit over time.

College graduates are most likely to want to allow both the racist and the anti-American cleric to speak.

Which I already knew, but here we are with beaucoup citations for my allegations. The whole "triggering," "melting" brouhaha is just so much sliming of young people. Further, thinking that entire segments of society should just STFU because you don't agree with them is actually un-American.
The irony that those who stand up to intolerance are labeled intolerant has not been lost on me.

The problem is when those who stand up to intolerance descend into violence.

Support for free speech is rising, and is higher among liberals and college graduates.

It’s also interesting to note that, contrary to the vision of a generation of young authoritarians brainwashed in elite universities, there is very little age polarization on these issues — 56 percent of 18- to 34-year-olds support the right of the racist to give a speech, versus 60 percent of the overall population.

Given the stark generation gaps that we see on many political issues these days, that’s a remarkably small divergence. It’s also quite possibly driven by compositional effects, since white people are moderately more supportive (62 percent) of letting the racist speak but whites are a smaller share of the younger cohort. African Americans have become more supportive over time of letting racists speak, with 56 percent saying it should be allowed in 2015 versus 47 percent back in 1975.

Last but by no means least, there is a strong correlation between educational attainment and support for allowing free speech — though it has narrowed a little bit over time.

College graduates are most likely to want to allow both the racist and the anti-American cleric to speak.

Which I already knew, but here we are with beaucoup citations for my allegations. The whole "triggering," "melting" brouhaha is just so much sliming of young people. Further, thinking that entire segments of society should just STFU because you don't agree with them is actually un-American.

I did read the article before you go as far as suggesting I might not have.
The article is interesting, but not surprising.

Of course the problem with PC and authoritarian controls ... Isn't centered on who young people think should be allowed to speak.
It's centered more on the fact that if you don't say what some people find acceptable ... It can cost you your job and ruin your life.

In societal terms ... It allows for exterior motivations to influence interior objectives.
Don't get me wrong ... Politically Correct with authoritarian controls is a well played deviation from free speech.

Last edited:
What is lost today is the fact that the opinion you yourself need to challenge the most - is your own.
And the ONLY way to do that objectively is to hear the opinions of others - especially those that disagree with yours.
Shutting out other opinions, refusing to listen to them is refusing the opportunity to understand the basis of those opinions you differ from. Sometimes those opinions can sway you to actually change your opinion!
How else is a person to learn the an accurate meaning of right and wrong when you only listen to one side of an issue!!
All of this is lost on the millennial mindset.

The irony that those who stand up to intolerance are labeled intolerant has not been lost on me.

READ: Intolerance = anything I disagree with.
Did you think I didn't understand what intolerance means?

Clearly.
"standing up to intolerance" is not refusing to listen to opposing views. That itself, is intolerant.

Clearly.
"standing up to intolerance" is not refusing to listen to opposing views. That itself, is intolerant.
I suppose that the irony is lost on you.

Clearly.
I suppose that the irony is lost on you.

No less ironic than ANTIFA standing for anti facism.

Conservatives are going to continue to propagate their ridiculous fallacies and lies regardless of the facts and truth.
Derp_319c6c_2452477.jpg

‘The overall debate about “political correctness” as a phenomenon tends to suffer from an excess of vagueness and ambiguity.

On the one hand, there is a fairly narrow debate about the attempted use of heckler’s veto tactics on a handful of college campuses — often in response to speaking invitations that appear to have been constructed primarily for the purpose of attracting hecklers. On the other hand, there is a fairly broad debate about a wide array of anti-racist activity that includes everything from the #OscarSoWhite hashtag to people being mean on Twitter to Bari Weiss to efforts to push the boundaries of who can be described as a “white supremacist.”

By rhetorically lumping in instances of rare, fairly extreme behavior with much more common behaviors under the broad heading of “political correctness,” it is easy to paint an alarming picture of the hecklers as a leading edge of an increasingly authoritarian political culture.

The fact that there does not appear to be any such trend — and that public desire to stymie free expression is concentrated in the working class and targeted primarily at Muslims — ought to prompt a reevaluation of the significance of on-campus dustups and perhaps greater attention to the specific contexts in which they arise.’ ibid

Consequently, the rightwing lie that ‘liberal’ college campuses and universities are ‘intolerant’ and ‘hostile’ to free speech is just that: a lie.

Forum List

Back