Everything Obama does is political, Why release Oil reserves now?

JRK

Feb 27, 2011
Can any of you liberals explain to me why release oil now? what is that going to do to create jobs?
it is a band aid at best.
Gas has went down every week now for many weeks

Its like blaming the 14 trillion dollar deficit on Afghanistan, when we know the failed stimulus and his 1/2 of tarp cost more than both wars
To start with we did not start either of those wars

Its the price of being free Obama

Republicans didn't want to do anything about speculators..and they were complaining about rising gas prices.

This is a big fuck you..to that.

Bully!

It dumped world oil prices, so that was a great big "Fuck You" to the commodities market speculators.

Of course, it won't do shit for gasoline prices, but it did knock hell out of the speculators.

Oil prices will recover and go even higher in a couple of months, if it takes that long.

It dumped world oil prices, so that was a great big "Fuck You" to the commodities market speculators.

Of course, it won't do shit for gasoline prices, but it did knock hell out of the speculators.

Oil prices will recover and go even higher in a couple of months, if it takes that long.

I sorta don't think so for a couple of reasons.

The supply/demand paradigm doesn't justify it.

And now that there is an oil "glut", if speculation still drives up oil prices this will be more fuel for regulators.

Sallow, that oil glut ain't all it's cracked up to be.
There are serious games being played on all sides right now.

What you are actually seeing is governments taking on the markets in an effort to keep themselves
afloat during these days when they are all almost insolvent.

Problem is, at current consumption levels, the oil shoved onto the markets won't last all that long
and OPEC is going to be there jacking up the prices to make up for the money they lost.

Refineries are putting out as much gasoline as is needed, so dropping oil prices won't do jack shit
for the gasoline & diesel prices.

Remember, when there's government involved, there's real corruption at the heart of anything
that is done. I remember when liberals distrusted the government. I miss those days.

I no more trust any government than I do the devil himself, not that there's a difference.

Your so right.

Gas prices were on the way down so why release the reserve oil now??

You can bet any bang from that release won't last long. What happens then??

Ol'BO's policies haven't done jack for the economy and he knows it. IMHO its all just politics.

Your so right.

Gas prices were on the way down so why release the reserve oil now??

You can bet any bang from that release won't last long. What happens then??

Ol'BO's policies haven't done jack for the economy and he knows it. IMHO its all just politics.

Well, it did do one thing.
It reduced the supply available in America's emergency oil reserves.
At a time when doing so didn't really generate any real revenue and there was no shortage
of oil on the world market. So what happens when the Arabs turn off the spigots ?
We have less on hand and it's going to hurt our economy even more just that much faster.

jmho

Republicans didn't want to do anything about speculators..and they were complaining about rising gas prices.

Bully!

SO the entire policy is childish "payback" to a group of people who will go on and prosper from this? Because remember with every commodities trade there is a winner on one end and a loser on the other.

You might actually be right. Such a reason is so stupid and short-sighted it might just be the answer.

Personally I think it reflects Obama's continuous mishandling of policy and general ability to screw up a one-car procession. He is the most incompetent president ever.

Bully!

SO the entire policy is childish "payback" to a group of people who will go on and prosper from this? Because remember with every commodities trade there is a winner on one end and a loser on the other.

You might actually be right. Such a reason is so stupid and short-sighted it might just be the answer.

Personally I think it reflects Obama's continuous mishandling of policy and general ability to screw up a one-car procession. He is the most incompetent president ever.

This isn't the first time..or first president to do this..and it won't be the last. Commodities aren't static..they are fluid. And if you have a component of that industry dedicated solely to profit..and profit without ethics..that has to be addressed.

Sallow, I have no love of nor use for commodities speculators.
That being said, I honestly don't see where this did all that much in the big picture.
It didn't really help, and in the long run it very well could hurt.

This is one where we'll have to wait and see how it all shakes out.
Unintended Consequences always jump up and bite us.

What you are actually seeing is governments taking on the markets in an effort to keep themselves

Problem is, at current consumption levels, the oil shoved onto the markets won't last all that long
and OPEC is going to be there jacking up the prices to make up for the money they lost.

Refineries are putting out as much gasoline as is needed, so dropping oil prices won't do jack shit

Remember, when there's government involved, there's real corruption at the heart of anything
that is done. I remember when liberals distrusted the government. I miss those days.

I no more trust any government than I do the devil himself, not that there's a difference.

That's fine..and to be expected.

But when you have one side that is complaining about an issue (Gas prices) and then blocking any means to address that..how exactly would you suggest this be dealt with?

Forget the "government has nothing to do with private industry" crapola..because it does. We are constantly going to wars to protect "our interests" in the middle east (Which are always oil) and cutting the energy industry lots of slack in the form of grants, tax cuts and contracts. That seems to be a one sided love affair.

Bully!

This isn't the first time..or first president to do this..and it won't be the last. Commodities aren't static..they are fluid. And if you have a component of that industry dedicated solely to profit..and profit without ethics..that has to be addressed.

What industry is dedicated solely to profit without ethics? Why is releasing oil from a strategic reserve the answer to this problem, rather than regulation?

But when you have one side that is complaining about an issue (Gas prices) and then blocking any means to address that..how exactly would you suggest this be dealt with?

Forget the "government has nothing to do with private industry" crapola..because it does. We are constantly going to wars to protect "our interests" in the middle east (Which are always oil) and cutting the energy industry lots of slack in the form of grants, tax cuts and contracts. That seems to be a one sided love affair.

What has the GOP done to "block any means" to address high gas prices?

That being said, I honestly don't see where this did all that much in the big picture.

It's a game of chicken at this point.

Let's see who blinks.

It's a game of chicken at this point.

Let's see who blinks.

Who is playing chicken? What are they playing over?

Um..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXJR7eZ_jQ]YouTube - ‪Cantor Promises Oil Speculators That GOP Will Block Financial Regulations‬‏[/ame]

Sallow, I'm in the business and the whole story of subsidies isn't "exactly" like the media makes it out
to be. What are being called subsidies are the exact same tax laws that apply to any other industry.

But, I'm always happy to see speculators take a hit.
Maybe it'll give them a shot of humility.

I do have some concerns over unexpected consequences to depleting our national reserves.
But, what's done is done. Like I said, whether this was good, bad, or simply indifferent in the long
run is one of those things we've just got to wait and see about.

Sallow, I'm in the business and the whole story of subsidies isn't "exactly" like the media makes it out
to be. What are being called subsidies are the exact same tax laws that apply to any other industry.

But, I'm always happy to see speculators take a hit.
Maybe it'll give them a shot of humility.

I do have some concerns over unexpected consequences to depleting our national reserves.
But, what's done is done. Like I said, whether this was good, bad, or simply indifferent in the long
run is one of those things we've just got to wait and see about.

Well on this side..I've been working in IT for financial firms for 15 years. Not quite the 30 years you put in..but I think it gives me a little credibility in this regard.

And like I pointed out..it's a fluid situation. But you're not off base with this post. Lots of things can happen.

Um..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcXJR7eZ_jQ]YouTube - ‪Cantor Promises Oil Speculators That GOP Will Block Financial Regulations‬‏[/ame]
That's it? Cantor is not the POTUS. (Yet). A statement from one junior GOP congressman is the basis for your statement?
That's weak. Even for you.

Forum List

Back