Everything is taxed

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
I challenge anybody/everybody on this message board to name just one thing that is not taxed either directly or indirectly in some manner.
For the purpose of this challenge, I will use some liberty in my proof that everything is taxed.
For example, you may say that air is not taxed, and I will point out that gas stations now have machines that you put a quarter into and then use that air to fill your tires, thus, air is taxed.

Find something that is not taxed, I dare you.

State income taxes are on top of the federal income tax, which currently tops out at 35%, as well as payroll taxes (contributions to Social Security and Medicare). Therefore, the maximum total rate is 35% of income in the states of Florida, Texas, and Washington, but 44.5% of income in Vermont and 45.3% in California[2], in addition to payroll taxes. However, these figures do not reflect the fact that some state and local taxes (including state income taxes) are deductible for federal tax purposes. Due to Alternative Minimum Tax, or AMT, itemization may not yield much, if any, tax savings on the federal return. For those not affected by AMT, the federal government effectively subsidizes a portion of an individual's state income tax, but only for individuals whose total deductions are greater than the standard deduction, which means the subsidy falls almost entirely to middle class payers.

State income tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so ya see? it depends on where ya are and where ya live as to how rich you are.

State income taxes are on top of the federal income tax, which currently tops out at 35%, as well as payroll taxes (contributions to Social Security and Medicare). Therefore, the maximum total rate is 35% of income in the states of Florida, Texas, and Washington, but 44.5% of income in Vermont and 45.3% in California[2], in addition to payroll taxes. However, these figures do not reflect the fact that some state and local taxes (including state income taxes) are deductible for federal tax purposes. Due to Alternative Minimum Tax, or AMT, itemization may not yield much, if any, tax savings on the federal return. For those not affected by AMT, the federal government effectively subsidizes a portion of an individual's state income tax, but only for individuals whose total deductions are greater than the standard deduction, which means the subsidy falls almost entirely to middle class payers.

State income tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so ya see? it depends on where ya are and where ya live as to how rich you are.

Indeed. The state tax in IL is a killer. I am getting a Fed return of nearly $3k, but still owe taxes in IL. About $200.

I challenge anybody/everybody on this message board to name just one thing that is not taxed either directly or indirectly in some manner.
For the purpose of this challenge, I will use some liberty in my proof that everything is taxed.
For example, you may say that air is not taxed, and I will point out that gas stations now have machines that you put a quarter into and then use that air to fill your tires, thus, air is taxed.

Find something that is not taxed, I dare you.

Yes, anything you buy has taxes included in it. Taxes are embedded in as a cost of doing business. So, even if a State doesn't lay a sales tax on an item, there are still taxes included in the price you pay.

I don't think food is taxed is it?

It is in IL. Didn't used to be, nor were magazines, newspapers, books, they all are now.

Food is not taxed in Florida, nor do we have a state tax. Does Illinois have a state tax?

Washington state has no food tax, nor are our farmers taxed for it's sales. We do have a state tax though.

Also, not all that is called a tax is really a tax. Much of the tobacco "tax" isn't actually a tax but part of a settlement with the tobacco companies.

Forum List

Back