Everyone Should Work Retail Once

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Then, maybe I'd be spared a lot of headaches, as nobody seems to notice a few basic things they do that REALLY annoy every employee they cross. In case you are one of these clueless people, I've compiled a list of the few more memorable ones.

- Don't send your kids in to pay. They don't know what they're doing. They'll screw it up. It's not cute. It's just annoying. I saw a mom once send her kid in to pay when we had a counter twice as tall as the kid. After almost half an hour, she came in to see what was taking so long and stormed out in a huff because her pizza was cold and it was ALL OUR FAULT BECAUSE WE SUCKED! Don't be this woman.

- If you want it done right, watch it being done. If you leave while something is being done for you, I will assume that you want it done exactly as everyone else has it done. If you give me a long list of instructions and don't stick around to make sure I remember it, I'll probably get it wrong. I don't have a photographic memory. Retail workers don't get one implanted. Learn to see things through.

- If you're not a very young and attractive person of the opposite sex than the person who's serving you, making 'cute' remarks will only get them annoyed. Friendly is one thing, but we've heard it all. You don't get it for free if it doesn't scan. I know what the weather is like outside. Friendly is one thing. Annoying is another.

- There's one person in every workplace that doesn't care. This is not indicative of the entire staff, just this one person. Don't take it out on me. If you ask, I'll be happy to take it out on them. I hate them, too.

- We run out of things. We don't have a matter replicator in the back. If it's anyone's fault, it's my boss's, as he does the ordering. Go yell at him or get over it.

- Our primary purpose is not to make you happy. Our primary purpose is to make money. If these two goals become mutually exclusive, we'll take the money every time. Get over yourself.

- If you really want us to change something that bad, talk to somebody who actually matters. I don't carry any weight, and if I did what you wanted, I'd probably be fired. We can't change to conform to your desires at the drop of a hat.

- We are not crooks by nature. In fact, you're more likely to be a crook than me. If you come up with a discrepancy, check again. It's more likely your fault than ours.

- Don't make a mess just because somebody gets paid to clean it up. I am that person, and I get paid to do other things, which only include cleanup when some jackass makes a mess.

- *Does not apply anyplace food is cooked to order (rare, medium, etc.)* Your food is not over/undercooked. Every piece of [insert food] we cooked today was cooked in the same oven/fryer/grill for the same amount of time at the same temperature. We know the machine works, since you're the only person who has complained. This means that either you just wanted it cooked differently, meaning you shouldn't have gone for fast food, or you're just being snippy to try to get something for nothing. Either way, get over yourself.

This is all I can think of. Feel free to add. Note: I'm not really very grumpy right now. I just thought this would be a bit amusing, and on some days, I actually am grumpy at some of these things.

Word of advice: Get OUT of retail as fast as you can. You're not cut out for it. :)

Shattered said:
Word of advice: Get OUT of retail as fast as you can. You're not cut out for it. :)

Oh, I can deal. I just think everyone should work at least a month in retail just to figure out how annoying they really are. I did many of the things above until I started working retail. I can put up with it just fine, but it did make me realize just how annoying many things I used to do were, so I stopped doing them.

Hobbit said:
Oh, I can deal. I just think everyone should work at least a month in retail just to figure out how annoying they really are. I did many of the things above until I started working retail. I can put up with it just fine, but it did make me realize just how annoying many things I used to do were, so I stopped doing them.

Are you STILL bitching about your job? Is this like your first one or something? :poke:

I knew a guy who had to go around picking up road kill all summer. Consider yourself lucky. :laugh:

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
-Look around and read signs, they will often answer your questions for you instead of interrupting a conversation with another customer so that I can point out the four foot high "Restroom" sign that was directly in front of you.

Said1 said:
Are you STILL bitching about your job? Is this like your first one or something? :poke:

I knew a guy who had to go around picking up road kill all summer. Consider yourself lucky. :laugh:

Nah, this is just an idea I had last night. It's cumulative annoyances from about 5 years working part time in retail until I finish college. This wasn't intended to be a gripe. I even say so in the post. However, I knew a bunch of people would jump on me and say how I don't have it that bad. I know I don't have it that bad. In fact, I really like my job. The pay's good. The hours aren't bad, and I like most of the people I work with. I just had a really bad day Monday (ya gotta vent every once in a while, and I actually find some of the stuff amusing after the fact) and compiled a list of annoying things people do because they don't know it's annoying today. I'm not griping. I'm not complaining. I'm just commenting.

Hobbit said:
Nah, this is just an idea I had last night. It's cumulative annoyances from about 5 years working part time in retail until I finish college. This wasn't intended to be a gripe. I even say so in the post. However, I knew a bunch of people would jump on me and say how I don't have it that bad. I know I don't have it that bad. In fact, I really like my job. The pay's good. The hours aren't bad, and I like most of the people I work with. I just had a really bad day Monday (ya gotta vent every once in a while, and I actually find some of the stuff amusing after the fact) and compiled a list of annoying things people do because they don't know it's annoying today. I'm not griping. I'm not complaining. I'm just commenting.

I know, I'm just razzin ya!

Speaking of working with the public, Ii used to work in a bingo hall. One time, this lady calls me over to complain about cigarette smoke burning her eyes. After she askes for the fans to be turned up, she reached for her cigarette took a puff and continued playing bingo. What a drip.

ok .... i will let you in on a secrete....everyone has worked retail.....it is kinda like a fraternity / sorority thing.....you are being hazed...it will be over soon :cof:

manu1959 said:
ok .... i will let you in on a secrete....everyone has worked retail.....it is kinda like a fraternity / sorority thing.....you are being hazed...it will be over soon :cof:

Manu, you just broke the cardinal Guild rule: never tell them there is a Guild.

You know your punishment- 6 months working in retail again... :whip:

Run! Manu, run!

I did four years at an amusement park. It is like retail on steroids. I would swear people actually check-in their brains at the entrance only to pick them up after they have harrassed and endangered others all day.

no1tovote4 said:
Run! Manu, run!

I did four years at an amusement park. It is like retail on steroids. I would swear people actually check-in their brains at the entrance only to pick them up after they have harrassed and endangered others all day.

Ouch. Only thing I can think of worse than an amusement park is teaching middle school.

Hobbit said:
Ouch. Only thing I can think of worse than an amusement park is teaching middle school.
Ok, I've done middle school, not as bad as retail! I do have some power-if only in red ink! :death:

Forum List

Back