Everyone Pays Taxes, Including the Poor

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
In the United States, the very rich earn a large share of the income, and are taxed at slightly higher rates than the general population. Here's the picture of shares of income and shares of the total tax burden:

total-tax-burden-bar-chart-shows-mild-progressivity.jpg

On the 47% of those who don't pay income taxes

The 47 percent number is not wrong. The stimulus programs of the last two years — the first one signed by President George W. Bush, the second and larger one by President Obama — have increased the number of households that receive enough of a tax credit to wipe out their federal income tax liability.

But the modifiers here — federal and income — are important. Income taxes aren’t the only kind of federal taxes that people pay. There are also payroll taxes and investment taxes, among others. And, of course, people pay state and local taxes, too.

Even if the discussion is restricted to federal taxes (for which the statistics are better), a vast majority of households end up paying federal taxes. Congressional Budget Office data suggests that, at most, about 10 percent of all households pay no net federal taxes. The number 10 is obviously a lot smaller than 47.

The reason is that poor families generally pay more in payroll taxes than they receive through benefits like the Earned Income Tax Credit. It’s not just poor families for whom the payroll tax is a big deal, either. About three-quarters of all American households pay more in payroll taxes, which go toward Medicare and Social Security, than in income taxes.​

Here's another way to put it. Americans pay different kinds of taxes to different entities. State and local taxes tend to be regressive. Payroll taxes, which fund Social Security and Medicare, are also regressive. To balance this out, we have a pretty progressive income tax. If you focus only on the income tax, it makes it look like the rich are getting screwed. But of course the income tax is just one element.

No, Half Of All Workers Aren't Freeloaders | The New Republic

Ummmm, too much info, I'm just gonna stick here to the a priori assumption that the rich are always paying too many taxes and the poor not paying enough and if it only was the other way around then there'd be more jobs, because I heard some guy on TV from my political party say so, and well, I guess that's what I'm supposed to think. X_X

I guess there is a point to this thread.:eusa_whistle:

The point is that the next time someone writes "half the people in America don't pay taxes," you can direct them to this thread and correct them, saying that they are talking only about income taxes, that there are many other taxes, and that the share of taxes paid by each socioeconomic group isn't too far off from each group's share of income.

Taes includes ALL taxes that US citizens pay to keep ALL our governments going.

The bottom 80% pays a LOT more than the top 20% when you include all taxes in the formula.

The point is that the next time someone writes "half the people in America don't pay taxes," you can direct them to this thread and correct them, saying that they are talking only about income taxes, that there are many other taxes, and that the share of taxes paid by each socioeconomic group isn't too far off from each group's share of income.

hummm

In the United States, the very rich earn a large share of the income, and are taxed at slightly higher rates than the general population. Here's the picture of shares of income and shares of the total tax burden:

The 47 percent number is not wrong. The stimulus programs of the last two years — the first one signed by President George W. Bush, the second and larger one by President Obama — have increased the number of households that receive enough of a tax credit to wipe out their federal income tax liability.

But the modifiers here — federal and income — are important. Income taxes aren’t the only kind of federal taxes that people pay. There are also payroll taxes and investment taxes, among others. And, of course, people pay state and local taxes, too.

Even if the discussion is restricted to federal taxes (for which the statistics are better), a vast majority of households end up paying federal taxes. Congressional Budget Office data suggests that, at most, about 10 percent of all households pay no net federal taxes. The number 10 is obviously a lot smaller than 47.

The reason is that poor families generally pay more in payroll taxes than they receive through benefits like the Earned Income Tax Credit. It’s not just poor families for whom the payroll tax is a big deal, either. About three-quarters of all American households pay more in payroll taxes, which go toward Medicare and Social Security, than in income taxes.​
Here's another way to put it. Americans pay different kinds of taxes to different entities. State and local taxes tend to be regressive. Payroll taxes, which fund Social Security and Medicare, are also regressive. To balance this out, we have a pretty progressive income tax. If you focus only on the income tax, it makes it look like the rich are getting screwed. But of course the income tax is just one element.

So is your point because poor people pay a few dollars of tax for their cell phones and cable tv, rich people should pay for their healthcare?

Whenever I read something like the following:

Conservatives in turn cite this fact to justify lower taxes on the rich.

It's pure propaganda, and what it lacks in quality it makes up in quantity. The right seems to have an unlimited number of talking heads, columnists, and pseudo-economists willing to peddle this nonsense.

I know it's a biased article.

Here's the rub:

Of course the discussion has always been about federal taxes. What's interesting here is that the article just says, "CBO data suggests..." and then doesn't back it up with actual data from the CBO.

What I need to see is real data and not a bunch of numbers and a chart from a clearly biased article.

Conservatives in turn cite this fact to justify lower taxes on the rich.

It's pure propaganda, and what it lacks in quality it makes up in quantity. The right seems to have an unlimited number of talking heads, columnists, and pseudo-economists willing to peddle this nonsense.

Here's the rub:

Of course the discussion has always been about federal taxes. What's interesting here is that the article just says, "CBO data suggests..." and then doesn't back it up with actual data from the CBO.

What I need to see is real data and not a bunch of numbers and a chart from a clearly biased article.

Great. So the next time someone posts that 47% of Americans pay no taxes, you will correct them and say that 47% pay no federal income taxes, but most Americans pay taxes, right? Because that's the point of the OP, and I see people make that mistake a fair amount.

Here's the rub:

Great. So the next time someone posts that 47% of Americans pay no taxes, you will correct them and say that 47% pay no federal income taxes, but most Americans pay taxes, right? Because that's the point of the OP, and I see people make that mistake a fair amount.

good grief, so THIS is what got your panties in a bunch?
Most people with a brain understood what WAS MEANT when they said, don't pay taxes, meaning FEDERAL TAXES. SHEESH

I thought Medicare and SocSecurity were government Insurance programs so the payments were more like paying insurance premiums than taxes anyway.

This new learning amazes me, Brother Maynard!

Last edited:

Here's the rub:

good grief, so THIS is what got your panties in a bunch?
Most people with a brain understood what WAS MEANT when they said, don't pay taxes, meaning FEDERAL TAXES. SHEESH

Actually, why would anyone make that assumption? I certainly wouldn't assume that you would make that distinction, though I'm happy you are able to. One would have assumed that most reasonable people would have dismissed this birfer nonsense out of hand, for example. But given that half of Republicans have doubts, why would one make any assumptions about any subject?

i'm not sure it matters. it's pretty clear that at some point they went from being uninformed, to being misinformed, to simply lying.

Taes includes ALL taxes that US citizens pay to keep ALL our governments going.

The bottom 80% pays a LOT more than the top 20% when you include all taxes in the formula.

That's untrue.

The poor pay a greater percentage of their income on ALL taxes. The poor do not pay income tax, that's true. But the sales taxes, the taxes on utilities, the property taxes on owned or portion of rent for that, gasoline taxes, etc. hit the poor much harder.

Here's the rub:

If you buy just about anything in America, you pay taxes. That's a given. If somebody says 47% of Americans pay no taxes, I will correct them because it should read xx% pay no federal income taxes. What that percentage is I do not yet know, but I'd bet money that it is between 10% and 47%.

But saying that almost half of the people pay no federal income taxes is 100% true.

But saying that almost half of the people pay no federal income taxes is 100% true.

Absolutely.

Forum List

Back