Everyone Needs to Calm the Hell Down

Perhaps today. But in the 60's, when the civil rights movement took place, the South was in fact the largest center of racism in the country.

And of course, that's when the racists moved over to the Republican party.

Today, it is true that many areas in the midwest are in fact centers of klan activity. This is probably due to resentment over manufacturing job losses, which historically has led to increased racism.

No arguments - I'm not blind to the big problems we have had in the south - nor to the problems we still have. But I just think a lot of "holier-than-y'all" types like to feel superior by blaming it all on southerners.

Actually, most of my family has moved to the south, and I find modern southerners to be quite enlightened and easy to get along with. Most of the people I've met were nearby cities of course, I don't know too many rural southerners.

Leave Democrat Robert Byrd out of this...

byrd-kkk.jpg

And, of course, there was Senator Earl Mayfield of Texas in the 1920s, who was openly a Klan member. Guess which party HE was elected from? Woodrow Wilson was quoted as admiring both the Klan and The Birth of a Nation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he a Democrat? Justice Hugo Black was a member in his youth. Do you even have to ask?

Well you do more about the Klan than I do.

Why do you know so much about the Klan?

From KKK to Senator!! Only in America!!!

Today, it is true that many areas in the midwest are in fact centers of klan activity. This is probably due to resentment over manufacturing job losses, which historically has led to increased racism.

Really? I did not know that.

I meant Republican voters of course. The Democratic policians who represented them just lost their jobs.

like robert byrd.
oops.

Perhaps today. But in the 60's, when the civil rights movement took place, the South was in fact the largest center of racism in the country.

No arguments - I'm not blind to the big problems we have had in the south - nor to the problems we still have. But I just think a lot of "holier-than-y'all" types like to feel superior by blaming it all on southerners.

Actually, most of my family has moved to the south, and I find modern southerners to be quite enlightened and easy to get along with. Most of the people I've met were nearby cities of course, I don't know too many rural southerners.

In the 1960s racism in the south was overt, in your face. Racism in the north was just as prevalent only it was covert, behind the back with a snee (metaphorically speaking).
This leaves one with the impression racism only existed in the south, if your sources are non-black, educated northerners.

2 things, First the Klan was an entirely a Democratic Party Organization in the 1920's. History is your friend learn some.

That was a Southern thing, not a party thing.

But of course you know that.

THIS southern man would like to point out that Penn. (right now) has the highest Klan/White supremist penetration of any state but Florida and Oregon are close by. (This according to the Southern Poverty Law Center). And some of the worst anti-school desegregation rioting was in Boston.

Yes, the south has had a lot of problems - but those same problems exist all over. You can't write it off as a "southern thing" imho.

"And I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow."

Well, I'm not really trying to disparage the South when I say that. I'm mainly trying to say why the Dems-are-racist-because-of-how-they-were-over-60-years-ago talking point is - and always has been - a total pile of shit.

Leave Democrat Robert Byrd out of this...

Oh yeah, and constanly bringing up Sen. Byrd when he long ago publicly disavowed his KKK membership is pretty stupid, too.

But keep it up if it makes ya happy, I guess...

Why not? We have to keep hearing about the dark, dead pasts of everyone in the Republican Party. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Trent Lott drummed out of office because of Strom Thurmond's past, just for saying something nice about the old fart at his birthday party? Didn't we hear until our ears bled about Bush's National Guard service? Laura Bush's car accident? David Duke's Klan membership, which by the way took place while HE was a Democrat?

Forum List

Back