Everyone cries about the poor, what have "you" done to help?

And just to let everyone know, the houses aren't just given away. There are special mortgage circumstances in place. Many homes are built for the disabled that have special needs. In other areas they are built for those displaced by disasters or war. But by all means go ahead and just blindly judge.
Also I don't know "who" founded it. I do know its a Christian based non profit org. But the end result is all that matters.

I do know who founded habitat for humanity and you are spot on. And it wasn't Jimmy Carter. I did notice I didn't get an answer from Wonky Pundit.

I don't take the time to answer every question that may or may not be directed at me. If you have a question for which you want a personal response, please PM me. That's one of the things PMs are for.

What do I do to help the poor? I teach in some of the shittiest neighborhoods in Denver. It's my life. I give to local charity ($) and volunteer in nursing homes.

Your company donates to Habitat for Humanity? Woo-ee. What business doesn't donate to something or the other? When was the last time you got your hands dirty, and how often do you do it? Ah...tax-deductible compassionate conservatism.

oh and PS: I don't make enough money for my charitable contributions (not political or religious) - about 1k/yr - to mean anything. I'm a single mom/teacher/head of household. So, yeah, I believe that, to a degree, we're all responsible for the state of affairs.

*sigh*

Yes I personally am involved. I've been over this already but no one wants to read beyond 1 or 2 posts. Also I don't claim a deduction for it. Not only that I give away thousands of dollars in merchandise without a deduction. Having said that its no more commendable that what you offer. Giving what you can is all that matters.

Ps. I'm originally from Colorado and you do have a lot of poor in Denver as well as pueblo. I lived in woodland park. Loved it.

Do you claim the money you give as personal income? How about the merchandise you give, do you claim that as personal income?

A series of suicides among borrowers’ in India's southern state of Andhra Pradesh two years ago sparked a nationwide backlash against the microfinance industry...
:eusa_eh:
Microfinance Gives Voice to Rural Indian Women
March 12, 2013 — India has a checkered history with microfinance. In 2010, a series of suicides among borrowers’ in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh sparked a nationwide backlash against the industry. One group is reviving microfinance’s tarnished image by focusing, not on profits, but on promoting gender equality among rural women in the north.
It all started eight years ago with a $1,000 loan to buy buffaloes. Shahnaz Begum, who had never earned a penny in her life, suddenly had a source of income, a way to educate her children and a newfound voice. “I have confidence now that, being a woman, I can do something,” she said. Shahnaz’s story was unheard of in parts of Haryana state a decade ago. In India, just 26 percent of women are employed. And, in the villages of Mewat district, women rarely step out of their homes, let alone start their own business. Shyam Panchal is a mother of four who runs a dairy with the help of a microfinance loan from the non-governmental organization Deepalaya. “Before, I couldn’t even go to the bank or talk to anyone, ever since I joined Deepalaya, I can talk to anyone,” she said.

T.K. Mathew co-founded Deepalaya in 1971, originally to educate underprivileged children in New Delhi slums. He says decades of work helped him realize that the community’s economic potential is strongly tied to the empowerment of women. “We said, all right, if you empower the mother, the children will be safe. So, from that point of view, we started interacting with the mothers and we realize they are a great strength. They have faculties, but this is not being utilized,” Mathew said. Deepalaya or “House of Light” only provides loans to groups of women who must first pool their savings to contribute to the loan. Unlike other lenders more focused on profits, Mathew says Deepalaya's borrowers are charged lower interest rates and given up to 20 months to repay. He says, so far, there have been no defaults among the 900 groups operating in three states.

In a decade, 13,000 women have started 7,000 enterprises that now contribute to a $2 million revolving fund. Mobena Khan was able to provide her husband with steady employment after buying a horse cart with a microfinance loan. She now sees a difference in the way she is treated at home. “He [my husband] used to fight with me, now he respects me. Now he talks nicely to me and keeps me happy,” said Khan.

And, for those who mistreat their wives, women like Shahnaz Begum use their earnings to fight domestic violence cases. Some two-thirds of married Indian women fall victim to such abuse. “If someone tries to harm us, because people try to keep women down, we no longer put up with this injustice," said Begum. "We go wherever we have to go, raise our voices, even file court cases.” These women also say they now see a different future for their daughters - one that involves an education and employment and not necessarily an early marriage.

Source

Everyone wants to use the poor as a political football. But who among you actually help the poor beyond your rhetoric?

Personally for a few years now my company has been donating to habitat for humanity. It's not a lot but its far more productive than any govt subsidized housing program.

"Your company" doesn't count. What about your own time and resources?

How about your time and resources, or do you just try to blog them into prosperity?

My wife and I volunteer one day a week to a local charity that has a food bank and provides clothing and household goods.

Everyone wants to use the poor as a political football. But who among you actually help the poor beyond your rhetoric?

The money Uncle Sam redistributes to the poor is so pillfered and misused that it only enables them to remain poor in many cases. So do you actually walk the talk?

Personally for a few years now my company has been donating to habitat for humanity. It's not a lot but its far more productive than any govt subsidized housing program.

Edit: since some seem incapable of reading beyond 3 posts let me be clear. I DONATE MY TIME. Kinda thought that would be obvious. Lol

I spend most of my time trying to keep from becoming one of them. I do donate time, money, food, and clothing through my Church though.

There have been a few criticisms on this thread regarding spelling. In defense of all those who have misspelled (as I sometimes do), I offer the following:

Ode to Misspelling

I don't care if it's hear or here.
Or even fair or fare;
Or or, or o're, or ore or oar;
Or there or their or they're!

So let your hand write everything
Your earnest mind doth tell it,
And I will understand each word
No matter how you spell it.

Thus, if you say “they took there stuff
And their not coming back again,”
I know you mean they took their stuff
And they're gone for good, amen.

There's so much strife in this short life
Sometimes it's overwhelming.
So I don't really care about
Such trite things as misspelling.

To those who wish to criticize
I can't, I shan't eschew it.
I know you cannot help yourself
So, just do it, dew it, due it.

- The Professor

There are many misconceptions about the tax code. Some people erroneously believe that any donations to charity are deducted from the taxes that one owes. However, charitable contributions are merely used to reduce the amount of taxable income, not the tax liability (taxes owed). Therefore, the tax you save is going to depend on your current marginal tax rate. If you're currently in the 28 percent tax bracket, and your total tax- free contributions for the year total $1,000, your taxable income will be reduced by $1,000, which means your tax liability will be reduced by $280. In other words, by giving a charitable contribution you avoid paying the tax on that amount, but you are still out the amount you donated. Had you kept the $1,000 instead, you would have paid additional taxes of $280, but you would have an extra $720 in the bank.

And just to let everyone know, the houses aren't just given away. There are special mortgage circumstances in place. Many homes are built for the disabled that have special needs. In other areas they are built for those displaced by disasters or war. But by all means go ahead and just blindly judge.
Also I don't know "who" founded it. I do know its a Christian based non profit org. But the end result is all that matters.

I do know who founded habitat for humanity and you are spot on. And it wasn't Jimmy Carter. I did notice I didn't get an answer from Wonky Pundit.

I don't take the time to answer every question that may or may not be directed at me. If you have a question for which you want a personal response, please PM me. That's one of the things PMs are for.

Someone must have hacked your account on these two posts.

Post 73 Well, since you asked, I regularly volunteer at one of the area's largest homeless shelters, where I teach computer literacy. And thanks for the link; I'll allocate to it when I set my quarterly donation budgets from now on.

Post 75 If you were asking me, then no.

Someone must have hacked your account on these two posts.

Post 73 Well, since you asked, I regularly volunteer at one of the area's largest homeless shelters, where I teach computer literacy. And thanks for the link; I'll allocate to it when I set my quarterly donation budgets from now on.

Post 75 If you were asking me, then no.
Were you actually planning to make a point with those quotes, or did you just want to revive a dead thread?

New Topics

Forum List

Back