Everyone cries about the poor, what have "you" done to help?

Everyone cries about the poor?

Clearly you're not reading the threads on this board where the poor are villified as parasites.

Isn't taking a tax deduction for donating to charity a redistribution of wealth?

I have to laugh at people that claim government helping the poor just makes them dependent and yet private groups helping the poor doesn't.

Isn't taking a tax deduction for donating to charity a redistribution of wealth?

I have to laugh at people that claim government helping the poor just makes them dependent and yet private groups helping the poor doesn't.

If one is financially eligible to use donations as tax deductions, then by all means they should take a deduction. It is, after all, legal, correct?

The difference between 'government helping the poor just makes them dependent' and 'private groups helping the poor doesn't' is the Govt FORCES money from us and we have no control over where it goes, where donating privately, people DO have a choice to choose their preferred charity and money/time is not FORCED by the private groups.

Last edited:
Everyone wants to use the poor as a political football. But who among you actually help the poor beyond your rhetoric?

The money Uncle Sam redistributes to the poor is so pillfered and misused that it only enables them to remain poor in many cases. So do you actually walk the talk?

Personally for a few years now my company has been donating to habitat for humanity. It's not a lot but its far more productive than any govt subsidized housing program.

Why is your company giving handouts to the Poor? According to the Right, that simply discourages them from getting off their lazy asses and pulling themselves up on their own.

Yes it is. Not to mention tax exemptions for churches, most of which do quite a bit of providing handouts to the lazy.

Somebody else has to pay those taxes that the 'charitable' don't, so effectively, tax deductions for charity are a government poverty program, which,

if you believe the Right, is like all the government poverty programs,

doing more harm than good.

Everyone cries about the poor, what have "you" done to help?

I am helping poor spellers on message boards. They tend to resist alot.

LOL, did I goof again? In my defense I'm on my EVO and it spells what it thinks I want and I often don't even notice. Plus each key is like a 1/4 inch wide.

use Firefox. It has a built-in spell checker.

Does it have a how-to-use-capital-letters checker?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

On a related topic, are you at all bothered that Habitat for Humanity was founded by a "Liberal Democrat?"

yes, I oppose the organization. Why should poor people get a free house when many in the middle class can't even qualify for a mortgage? Teach the poor how to earn a living. them let them buy their own house.

The consensus on the Right, at least around here, is that we need to raise taxes on the Poor.

So the Right wants to give with one hand, and take away with the other.

brilliant

On a related topic, are you at all bothered that Habitat for Humanity was founded by a "Liberal Democrat?"

yes, I oppose the organization. Why should poor people get a free house when many in the middle class can't even qualify for a mortgage? Teach the poor how to earn a living. them let them buy their own house.

I find it ironic that everyone I know who has volunteered for habitat for humanity do not own their own homes.

What has the poor done to help themselves? have they taken advantage of the opportunities afforded them and gone to school to get a job? For those that are able, are they trying to work? Or are they passing by janoitorial or laborious jobs?

"Your company" doesn't count. What about your own time and resources?

I am a small business. Myself and my lead man donate everything ourselves. Trying to get my kids involved. Would like to be more involved but finding the time that works for them can be tricky.

What is the name of the "liberal Democrat" that founded Habitat for Humanity?

It seems to me that the only real way to help the poor is to boost economic growth and drive up prosperity generally. Jobs come from small businesses and corporations, and so the number one thing we might do to help the poor is to ensure that these organizations succeed and grow.

Unfortunately, we have a political party in the US that wants to do everything they can to attack corporations by raising taxes, fees and regulations - and perversely, they claim to be "for the little guy". To me, this is quite astonishing, since their policies guarantee that the poor stay poor.

Thus, I personally do all I can to preach the merits of liberty, capitalism and free markets such that the poor see exactly how they are being used as pawns by the current system.

I find it ironic that everyone I know who has volunteered for habitat for humanity do not own their own homes.

Everyone that I know who has volunteered for habitat for humanity does own their own home. How ironic is that?

Everyone that I know who has volunteered for habitat for humanity does own their own home. How ironic is that?

and even more Ironic is, i know a bunch of people who Volunteered who own and some who rent..........top that....:eusa_angel:.......

Forum List

Back