Everyone cries about the poor, what have "you" done to help?

You must understand the liberals approach to helping the poor. First, it involves increasing the number of poor, then beating YOU over the head, grabbing YOUR wallet and taking 90% for administrative fees and giving the poor the remaining 10%.

Can we stay on topic guys. Race, bigotry and political philosophy don't need to be in this thread. In fact this thread could be helpful to those who have thought about charity work but don't know where to start.

I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity(pounding nails, sawing boards), and I also volunteer with our local chapter of the Red Cross(helping organize material donations like clothes, toys, etc...and am also a CPR instructor)...finally, our church sponsors two children. One in Honduras, one in Louisiana with financial help.

my occupation itself is working with people that cannot help themselves. I work with the Profoundly Developmentally Disabled. I know, that's my job that I get paid for... but I think it still counts somewhat.

Yea, I remember talking to you about my step daughter who has CP. Tough job indeed.

Can we stay on topic guys. Race, bigotry and political philosophy don't need to be in this thread. In fact this thread could be helpful to those who have thought about charity work but don't know where to start.

We do, we do it at the community level... always the best place to start. We make a pot of gumbo, smoke a few chickens, volunteer to teach 50 yo adults to read, deliver meals to shutins....

Everyone wants to use the poor as a political football. But who among you actually help the poor beyond your rhetoric?

The money Uncle Sam redistributes to the poor is so pillfered and misused that it only enables them to remain poor in many cases. So do you actually walk the talk?

Personally for a few years now my company has been donating to habitat for humanity. It's not a lot but its far more productive than any govt subsidized housing program.

Gee, how kind of you that your company donates to a charity, and takes a write off.

You'd rather they didn't? Gates takes the writeoffs, it allows them to give more. WTF is your problem?

CaféAuLait;3933806 said:
On a related topic, are you at all bothered that Habitat for Humanity was founded by a "Liberal Democrat?"

Who cares? The KKK was founded by democrats too, what the hell?

Idiot remark.
January 1, 1866
The Ku Klux Klan is established.

"The name Ku Klux Klan refers to two racist terrorist organizations in the U.S. The first was organized by veterans of the Confederate army, first as a social club and then as a secret means of resisting Reconstruction and restoring white domination over newly enfranchised blacks. Dressed in white robes and sheets, Klansmen whipped and killed freedmen and their white supporters in nighttime raids. It had largely accomplished its goals by the 1870s before gradually fading away. The second KKK arose in 1915, partly out of nostalgia for the Old South and partly out of fear of the rise of communism in Russia and the changing ethnic character of U.S. society. It counted Catholics, Jews, foreigners, and labor unions among its enemies. Its membership peaked in the 1920s at more than four million, but during the Great Depression the organization gradually declined. It became active again during the civil rights movement of the 1960s, attacking blacks and white civil rights workers with bombings, whippings, and shootings. By the end of the 20th century, growing racial tolerance had reduced its numbers to a few thousand."

History WORKS

LINK: History WORKS Timeline -- The Ku Klux Klan is established.

The KKK is not part of the Democratic Party nor the Repubican Party, it is the KKK. If you need a label, label it Reactionary, i.e. Uber-Conservative.

Name one Republican who was a member of the KKK...

For many years the KKK was the "terrorist arm" of the Democrat Party....unofficially of course...

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;3933806 said:
On a related topic, are you at all bothered that Habitat for Humanity was founded by a "Liberal Democrat?"

Who cares? The KKK was founded by democrats too, what the hell?

Idiot remark.
January 1, 1866
The Ku Klux Klan is established.

"The name Ku Klux Klan refers to two racist terrorist organizations in the U.S. The first was organized by veterans of the Confederate army, first as a social club and then as a secret means of resisting Reconstruction and restoring white domination over newly enfranchised blacks. Dressed in white robes and sheets, Klansmen whipped and killed freedmen and their white supporters in nighttime raids. It had largely accomplished its goals by the 1870s before gradually fading away. The second KKK arose in 1915, partly out of nostalgia for the Old South and partly out of fear of the rise of communism in Russia and the changing ethnic character of U.S. society. It counted Catholics, Jews, foreigners, and labor unions among its enemies. Its membership peaked in the 1920s at more than four million, but during the Great Depression the organization gradually declined. It became active again during the civil rights movement of the 1960s, attacking blacks and white civil rights workers with bombings, whippings, and shootings. By the end of the 20th century, growing racial tolerance had reduced its numbers to a few thousand."

History WORKS

LINK: History WORKS Timeline -- The Ku Klux Klan is established.

The KKK is not part of the Democratic Party nor the Repubican Party, it is the KKK. If you need a label, label it Reactionary, i.e. Uber-Conservative.

The KKK was Democrat Party bought and owned!

CaféAuLait;3933806 said:
I am a small business. Myself and my lead man donate everything ourselves. Trying to get my kids involved. Would like to be more involved but finding the time that works for them can be tricky.

Who cares? The KKK was founded by democrats too, what the hell?[/QUOTE]

Oh dayyyyunnn,, snort.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Something else every home owner can do. Habitat has a partner group called restore, they take old household things and resale them for cash for habitat.

Everything in good shape of course.

Toilets
Carpet (very clean only)
Sinks
Countertops
Appliances
Just about anything remodeling related.

They get a lot from us on our remodels. And I think they offer reciepts for taxes if requested.

Everyone wants to use the poor as a political football. But who among you actually help the poor beyond your rhetoric?

The money Uncle Sam redistributes to the poor is so pillfered and misused that it only enables them to remain poor in many cases. So do you actually walk the talk?

Personally for a few years now my company has been donating to habitat for humanity. It's not a lot but its far more productive than any govt subsidized housing program.
Before bad health forced my early retirement, my business produced squad car quilts to help cops treat victims of shock on the job; hospice quilts for those dying of cancer; quilts for children to use in a day care center for handicapped children so their one parent could work; quilts for people in a homeless shelter; quilts for severely wounded soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan; quilts for victims of house fires; hugs quilts for a shelter of abused family members. Some years I made 50 - 70 quilts for charities, but after my illness started, the number dropped to one every other year. After retirement, I have almost no stress and can make and donate quilt tops to a charity quilting group locally. Someone else quilts them. I try to make quilts that would be good enough to give to my own children. I taught senior citizens how to make quilts for their families, and the business furnished materials for all the soldier and handicapped children projects. I had early factory seamstress training in one of the all-time best swimsuit manufacturers, and can turn out in 24 hours (over 3 days) a complex queen-sized quilt that takes others several weeks. I owe my skill to the business community that was intolerant of piddling around and wasting company time. I now use that skill to make as many quilts for the poor as possible.

Businesses are not ogres, and I love the one I founded 24 years ago, dedicated all I earned for the good of others, thanks to my supportive husband who did the bookkeeping so I could design, teach, and produce quilts anonymously. In fact, I was chewed out by an IRS agent who criticized me for not making much money over my business career and also saw to it I would be penalized for being unable to work by withholding medicare until I turn 65 or whenever the age is when I get there. I turned over my business to Christian helpers who took my advice about using the business to help the community and whoever in the world needed the compassion a quilt can bring someone who lost everything. They made a dozen quilts and sent them to Japan's earthquake/tsunami districts through their church outreach(es). I'm so proud of them. We lost money in the business (nothing new), but we made friends for our nation with 12 families over there who lost everything.

Gee, how kind of you that your company donates to a charity, and takes a write off.

You'd rather they didn't? Gates takes the writeoffs, it allows them to give more. WTF is your problem?

im sure Wry would do the same thing......even though i suspect he will say he would not......being the good San Francisco Latte Drinker he is....

I have belonged to a grassroots organization that promoted locally produced goods and services while setting the groundwork for community level microfinancing. Another grassroots organization that I belonged to implemented more sustainable transportation policies that ultimately saved the city money, therefore decreasing the need of tax revenues.

I also teach at my local community college and have denoted my time to help people learn math in order to pass their GEDs.

im sure Wry would do the same thing......even though i suspect he will say he would not......being the good San Francisco Latte Drinker he is....

He just ridicules my effort because I have an R in front. Very shallow character in my opinion.

I noticed our good friend Wonky Pundit came in the thread only to critique. So pathetically sad. Regardless is someone took a write off or not it all benefits the poor he claims to champion. Disgusting partisanship.

I'll stay on topic!

I volunteer my time fund raising for local schools, libraries, and the 'soup' kitchen.
I volunteer my funds for local schools, libraries and the soup kitchen.
I donate items to DAV, Goodwill, and a Cerebral Palsy group.

Does buying Girl Scout cookies count?

I volunteer my time with my city's recreation department, helping young girls from poor families enjoy the benefit of exercise (in the guise of soccer, softball, gymnastics, etc)
I also write grants for local libraries, schools, and the rec department.
I coordinate volunteers with those that need some extra assistance, mainly for the elderly population that need someone to mow the lawn, wash the windows, take them grocery shopping or to medical appointments.

Oh and I work 50-60 hours a week.

Can I please get a volunteer to help my family deal with an absent parent? :lol: At least a secretary or an assistant??

Last edited:

"Your company" doesn't count. What about your own time and resources?

I am a small business. Myself and my lead man donate everything ourselves. Trying to get my kids involved. Would like to be more involved but finding the time that works for them can be tricky.

Donate? You mean like "charity"? I hate charity.

I worked at the Jane Addams center here in Chicago every third Sunday from 10 until 5.

Either at the food bank, which was charity, which I hate. Doesn't mean it isn't needed, but I prefer to teach people so they can learn something and get their own food.

Or in the ceramics workshop. It was a very large workshop and we had a number of people who spent their nights and weekends making sets of dishes or art they actually sold and helped supplement their income. They were required the fund the workshop, but the people who taught were all volunteers.

The building was large. It had a gym for neighborhood kids to play basketball and volley ball. They were supervised and it helped get them off the streets and provide a safe place.

They also had a small organization for gay teens to meet. Some were thrown out of their house and lived on the street and they could come to the center and wash, get some clothes and eat something.

We have a very vocal Republican who hated the center. He felt the land could be used for some business and hated the fact that it supported gay teens. He was elected alderman and closed down the center. It was a very sad day. He was booted during the next election but the damage was done and the center was gone. Now it's a "Gold's Gym" for yuppies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonight I donated all that was in my wallet to my local pub. Many brewery jobs were saved by my chatity.

I forgot, that is one of my other beloved charities... especially our world class Brew pup here in our little neck of the woods. (was ranked in the top 10 in some beer connoisseur magazine). Sometimes, our trio plays there.... don't get paid much, but Free Beer!

What do I do to help the poor? I teach in some of the shittiest neighborhoods in Denver. It's my life. I give to local charity ($) and volunteer in nursing homes.

Your company donates to Habitat for Humanity? Woo-ee. What business doesn't donate to something or the other? When was the last time you got your hands dirty, and how often do you do it? Ah...tax-deductible compassionate conservatism.

oh and PS: I don't make enough money for my charitable contributions (not political or religious) - about 1k/yr - to mean anything. I'm a single mom/teacher/head of household. So, yeah, I believe that, to a degree, we're all responsible for the state of affairs.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back