“everybody in that huddle knew what was the right thing to do”

Ragnar

<--- Pic is not me
Jan 23, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Superior football team?s selfless act earns accolades | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

With about a minute remaining in last Friday&#8217;s game, and the outcome no longer in doubt, Menomonie coach Joe LaBuda called a timeout.

LaBuda approached the referees, and then the Superior sideline, with a special request. He asked if it would be OK if one of his players could catch a pass, and if Superior&#8217;s players would take it easy on him when they were tackling him.

The person to catch the ball was senior Sam Kolden, a special-needs player with autism who has been a member of the Menomonie football team for a number of years.

Superior coach Bob DeMeyer heard LaBuda&#8217;s request, and did one better. He said letting Kolden get a catch was no problem &#8212; &#8220;but why we don&#8217;t just let him score?&#8221;

LaBuda said that wasn&#8217;t necessary, but &#8220;everybody in that huddle knew what was the right thing to do,&#8221; DeMeyer said later. &#8220;That&#8217;s the kind of kids we have.&#8221;

The Spartans allowed Kolden to catch a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage from quarterback James Nelson and run 66 yards for a touchdown, all while Superior players gave chase, diving at his feet while pretending to tackle him.

The Menomonie sidelines went wild.

No I didn't cry. I really did have something in my eye. (see: how fucking manly I am)

Wow, that's a lot of class from all involved. Then again, on the flip side and in that ubiquitous other hand... if I were that special needs kid, I might be thinking "damn, I'm awesome" and "dude, I should have been given way more playing time" and suchlike. :lol:

On edit:

It's worth checking out the whole article and it's not long.

Last edited:
Superior football team?s selfless act earns accolades | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota

With about a minute remaining in last Friday’s game, and the outcome no longer in doubt, Menomonie coach Joe LaBuda called a timeout.

LaBuda approached the referees, and then the Superior sideline, with a special request. He asked if it would be OK if one of his players could catch a pass, and if Superior’s players would take it easy on him when they were tackling him.

The person to catch the ball was senior Sam Kolden, a special-needs player with autism who has been a member of the Menomonie football team for a number of years.

Superior coach Bob DeMeyer heard LaBuda’s request, and did one better. He said letting Kolden get a catch was no problem — “but why we don’t just let him score?”

LaBuda said that wasn’t necessary, but “everybody in that huddle knew what was the right thing to do,” DeMeyer said later. “That’s the kind of kids we have.”

The Spartans allowed Kolden to catch a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage from quarterback James Nelson and run 66 yards for a touchdown, all while Superior players gave chase, diving at his feet while pretending to tackle him.

No I didn't cry. I really did have something in my eye. (see: how fucking manly I am)

Wow, that's a lot of class from all involved. Then again, on the flip side and in that ubiquitous other hand... if I were that special needs kid, I might be thinking "damn, I'm awesome" and "dude, I should have been given way more playing time" and suchlike. :lol:

On edit:

My favorite of these was the one (can't remember where) where a kid with Downs caught a ball, and the defense allowed him to go about 50 yards for the score. After his players had mugged him in the end zone, congratulating and thanking him, the defense circled around him, did the same thing, and then the DEFENSE carried him off the field back to his own sideline.

Football, when it is played by amateurs under the right coaches, can be a lot more than just a game.

I had to start and stop it a couple of times to get it to run.

I got it to work on another site.

It's a really weird coincidence...just like Ragnar, I got something in my eye that caused it to tear while I was watching the replay.

With about a minute remaining in last Friday’s game, and the outcome no longer in doubt, Menomonie coach Joe LaBuda called a timeout.

LaBuda approached the referees, and then the Superior sideline, with a special request. He asked if it would be OK if one of his players could catch a pass, and if Superior’s players would take it easy on him when they were tackling him.

Superior coach Bob DeMeyer heard LaBuda’s request, and did one better. He said letting Kolden get a catch was no problem — “but why we don’t just let him score?”

LaBuda said that wasn’t necessary, but “everybody in that huddle knew what was the right thing to do,” DeMeyer said later. “That’s the kind of kids we have.”

On edit:

Didn't this happen some time ago?... This sounds familiar to me, but from like 2 or 3 years ago...

:)

peace...

On edit:

Didn't this happen some time ago?... This sounds familiar to me, but from like 2 or 3 years ago...

:)

peace...

Possible. This story was published yesterday but it's the kind of thing that does happen from time to time in sportsland.

Way better than the all to common stories of some mad parent smacking around an umpire or coach or God forbid some kid.

Great to see some real sportsmanship...

Reminds me of that kid with Autism who they put in the Basketball game and hit 6 three point shots. Bush flew out to congratulate him

Forum List

Back