Everybody But Mine

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I heard Boortz talking about this the other day, and thought he made an excellent point. A major problem with the American political process is the idea that most Americans have that everybody in Congress needs to lose the election...except the three people representing them. Look at this from a Kantian perspective. If everybody does this, then all incumbants get elected and nobody loses the election. No, the message needs to be sent to Congress that we're sick of their bullcrap and we're sick of their "We know best" attitude towards the voters, and that message needs to start with YOUR congressman.

Hobbit said:
I heard Boortz talking about this the other day, and thought he made an excellent point. A major problem with the American political process is the idea that most Americans have that everybody in Congress needs to lose the election...except the three people representing them. Look at this from a Kantian perspective. If everybody does this, then all incumbants get elected and nobody loses the election. No, the message needs to be sent to Congress that we're sick of their bullcrap and we're sick of their "We know best" attitude towards the voters, and that message needs to start with YOUR congressman.

Excellent idea. But it will go against human nature, and the pols from both parties know it. Remember, no federally elected official works for the people. Rather than a grassroots effort to "kick out the bums", I'd suggest a grassroots effort to create term limits for any federally elected official. JMOOC.

Hobbit said:
Well here in Illinois, us GOP voters are lucky in that there is no doubt we try to vote out the Senators. ;) Unfortunatly the party did that to Fitzgerald, who happened to be ummm, Republican. :shocked:

His crime, trying to get some investigation by independents into state corruption, such as George Ryan-it worked, but Fitzgerald chose not to run again.

Being from Illinois means rarely voting for an incumbent. I had Henry Hyde as a rep since I started voting, that seat may well go to Duckworth, female Iraq vet who lost both legs, a democrat.

jillian said:
My Congressman is fine. I think it should start with yours. :laugh:

"All politics is local"...Tip O'Neill

Both my senators voted against this sham of an immigration bill. If they hadn't, I'd be voting them out. If I was voting in Arkansas this year instead of Georgia, I'd be voting against whatever senator was up for re-election.

Hobbit said:
Both my senators voted against this sham of an immigration bill. If they hadn't, I'd be voting them out. If I was voting in Arkansas this year instead of Georgia, I'd be voting against whatever senator was up for re-election.

Fair enough if that's the issue that matters to you. I can see where there are other issues that would have the same effect on me.

Forum List

Back