Every state's pension crisis, ranked.

Government Unions have overpromised pensions and benefits, now they are going broke.

• The states should raise more taxes, and make sure their citizens go to lower taxed states.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The states should go bankrupt, reorganize and stop making promises that they cant keep.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I just dont know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mikeoxenormous

Diamond Member
May 6, 2015
Floor E Da
Every state's pension crisis, ranked
Every state has an underfunded pension
As members of the baby boom generation age into retirement -- approximately 10,000 Americans turn 65 every day -- more and more are relying on pension benefits as their main source of income.

Public pension plans typically require employees to contribute a share of their salaries to a pool of funds that is invested on the employee’s behalf to be paid out to them in retirement. Teachers, firefighters, sanitation workers, and other public sector employees count on the various employment benefits of public sector work, including receiving in retirement a steady pension payout.
I have been telling my friends that if you dont put money aside and only rely on the government to pay your retirements you will end up with nothing, because like Illinois and Californication, eventually they will run out of other peoples money and go broke. Now with Obama , he would bail out those Union promises, but with President Trump, I dont think any bailouts will head to these liberal morons who overpromised for shitty work. You deserve what you vote for, you wanted liberals to promise you the moon, and as typical, liberals dont give a shit about you, while they, the union bosses, have made their millions.

hqdefault.jpg

Surprised at the position of New York and Texas respectively. Although I would assume the NY number is State employees, not including NYC.

New Jersey is in serious trouble.

What happens when the State Government has to cut services to pay into the pension shortfall?

Surprised at the position of New York and Texas respectively. Although I would assume the NY number is State employees, not including NYC.

What happens when the State Government has to cut services to pay into the pension shortfall?
roads and bridges start to fail.
getty_brooklynbridge.jpg

Public sector unions should NEVER have been legalized. They bargain against the public WHO PAYS THEM with tax dollars. The unions solely support Democrats who get into office then give them sweetheart contracts, way above market that the private sector would pay when you factor in salary, BENEFITS, leave, and PENSIONS. Rinse and repeat.

Public Sector Unions are a huge CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

Watch, the states that have mismanaged all this will look for a Federal bailout which means YOU, and I PAY, not the people responsible!

Last edited:
As members of the baby boom generation age into retirement -- approximately 10,000 Americans turn 65 every day -- more and more are relying on pension benefits as their main source of income.

Public pension plans typically require employees to contribute a share of their salaries to a pool of funds that is invested on the employee’s behalf to be paid out to them in retirement. Teachers, firefighters, sanitation workers, and other public sector employees count on the various employment benefits of public sector work, including receiving in retirement a steady pension payout.
I have been telling my friends that if you dont put money aside and only rely on the government to pay your retirements you will end up with nothing, because like Illinois and Californication, eventually they will run out of other peoples money and go broke. Now with Obama , he would bail out those Union promises, but with President Trump, I dont think any bailouts will head to these liberal morons who overpromised for shitty work. You deserve what you vote for, you wanted liberals to promise you the moon, and as typical, liberals dont give a shit about you, while they, the union bosses, have made their millions.

hqdefault.jpg
The government has an obligation to pay benefits that were earned

Pension is part of compensation. The state should set aside pension money as employes work

Public sector unions should NEVER have been legalized. They bargain against the public WHO PAYS THEM with tax dollars. The unions solely support Democrats who get into office then give them sweetheart contracts, way above market that the private sector would pay when you factor in salary, BENEFITS, leave, and PENSIONS. Rinse and repeat.

Watch, the states that have mismanaged all this will look for a Federal bailout which means YOU, and I PAY, not the people responsible!
Unions ensure that employees are treated fairly.
Why should an employee have to take on the entire government by himself?

hqdefault.jpg
The government has an obligation to pay benefits that were earned

Pension is part of compensation. The state should set aside pension money as employes work

Considering that hasn't happened at the rate needed, time to invent this

Flux_Capacitor_Time_Machine.jpg

Why should someone have civil service protections AND union protections?

We have created a new class, similar to the Russian Nobles under the Czar who fulfilled the role of the Bureaucracy.

We have created a new class, similar to the Russian Nobles under the Czar who fulfilled the role of the Bureaucracy.
Because they have no advocate otherwise

Why does someone who works for the government need an advocate if there are civil service protections built into their positions?

The problem with civil service unions is the people negotiating against them have no reason to be hard asses because it's "not their money" and unlike a real business they can either raise their income or punt the costs down the road for decades.

Why does someone who works for the government need an advocate if there are civil service protections built into their positions?

The problem with civil service unions is the people negotiating against them have no reason to be hard asses because it's "not their money" and unlike a real business they can either raise their income or punt the costs down the road for decades.
Same reason any worker needs an advocate to take on those in power

Is this partly to do with the ginormous drop in the stock market? That happened at the end of the 80's, I remember. Connecticut lost its entire retirement system.

Sorry, but the normal balance between worker and employer simply doesn't exist within government employment.

Government workers form a block of voters with undue influence in elections.

If you want to work for the government, no union for you.

Is this partly to do with the ginormous drop in the stock market? That happened at the end of the 80's, I remember. Connecticut lost its entire retirement system.

It has to do with decades of the pension system assuming say a 10% rate of return, and funding the system via taxes based on that. then when they only got a 5% rate of return they didn't increase the tax contribution from the general fund.

Because when the unions and the government bargain over salaries and pensions, neither side is stuck with the bill. They're both bargaining over how much of a third party's resources to spend, a third party that has no leverage or voice in the negotiations.

Sorry, but the normal balance between worker and employer simply doesn't exist within government employment.

Nobody has more power than the government

Because when the unions and the government bargain over salaries and pensions, neither side is stuck with the bill. They're both bargaining over how much of a third party's resources to spend, a third party that has no leverage or voice in the negotiations.
They have a voice to negotiate all right, then voice themselves right out of the state into a lower taxed state. Money talks, people walk, states go bankrupt.

Nobody has more power than the government

If people think the workers are being treated unfairly, then they can vote other people in.

You dance around the simple fact that the usual worker-employer relationship is not found in government employment. Politicians can be swayed by the votes of their own workers, the people they are supposed to be negotiating with in good faith for the benefit of the taxpayer.

The only fair way to do it would be to deny the vote to government workers and their families.

i worked in the PO...civil service protections?.....what a joke.....

the normal balance between worker and employer simply doesn't exist within government employment.
you got that right,the govt treats their workers like shit,even with unions...

Forum List

Back