Every New Scientific Theory Must Survive Three Phases

Fleischmann and Pons’s Cold Fusion

While the conditions required to create nuclear energy usually require extreme temperatures—think of the processes that power the sun—the theory of cold fusion states that such a reaction is possible at room temperature. It’s a deceivingly simple concept, but the implications are spectacular: if a nuclear reaction could occur at room temperature, then an abundance of energy could be created without the dangerous waste that results from nuclear power plants. This groundbreaking theory briefly seemed to have become a reality in 1989, when the electro-chemists Martin Fleischmann and Stanley Pons published experimental results suggesting that they had achieved cold fusion—and the precious “excess energy” it was hoped to produce—in an experiment where an electric current was run through seawater and a metal called Palladium. The response to Pons and Fleischmann’s claims by the media and the scientific community was overwhelming. The experiments were hailed as a turning point in science, and it was briefly believed that with cold fusion energy would be cheap, clean, and abundant.

How it was Proven Wrong:

The fervor over cold fusion died down as soon as other scientists tried to replicate the experiment. Most failed to get any kind of similar results, and after their paper was closely studied, Fleischmann and Pons were accused not only of sloppy, unethical science, but were even said to have stretched the truth of their results. For years after, the idea of cold fusion became synonymous with fringe science. Still, despite the stigma attached to it, many have argued that there was never anything necessarily wrong about cold fusion as a theory. In recent years, scientists have once again started to experiment with new ways of achieving a so-called “tabletop nuclear reaction,” with some even claiming to have achieved surprising success.

Read more: Top 10 Most Famous Scientific Theories (That Turned out to be Wrong) | Top 10 Lists | TopTenz.net

I also immediately recognized the logical flaw in cammmmmmmmpbell's Title/OP wording. But I figured I'd let it slide since the intended, underlying point is still valid.

Good for you that you found something so meaningless to sink your claws into. :thup:

You might consider paying closer attention to the company you keep. :eusa_whistle:
The company I keep has never had any impact on how I think - case in point, for example.

A more naive sentiment has never been proffered.
Yup, the Republicans really, really tell me how I think. That's why I am campaigning for ID to be taught in science. All over the board, that's what I say....all the time. Yup, and that's exactly why I am Pro-life, cuz the GOP is. And, that's the exact reason why I am anti-gay marriage - you can find tons of posts from me about that, I am sure.

Only, I am pro-choice, anti-ID, and for gay marriage, for example.

Go on, though.

The company I keep has never had any impact on how I think - case in point, for example.

Yup, the Republicans really, really tell me how I think. That's why I am campaigning for ID to be taught in science. All over the board, that's what I say....all the time. Yup, and that's exactly why I am Pro-life, cuz the GOP is. And, that's the exact reason why I am anti-gay marriage - you can find tons of posts from me about that, I am sure.

Go on, though.

See how much you had to infer to come up with your strawman reply? Are you channeling Ravi now or something?

You said:

'The company I keep has never had any impact on how I think'

And that statement, in and of itself, is one of the most naive statements I've ever heard or read.

bwgd? :dunno:

Go on, though.

See how much you had to infer to come up with your strawman reply? Are you channeling Ravi now or something?

You said:

'The company I keep has never had any impact on how I think'

And that statement, in and of itself, is one of the most naive statements I've ever heard or read.

bwgd? :dunno:
What is so naive about it, especially considering the fact that the Republicans obviously haven't influenced the way I think.

Scientists have, but that is more a result of training.

I'm trying to understand here.

No, global warming is a fact. It's the human influenced part that is theory....now reduced to conjecture, and within a year or to completely dismissed as a failed hypothesis.

LOL!

We are pumping the fossil fuels out of the ground by the million barrels, burning it in all manner of concentrations, realeasing 90% of the exhaust chemicals into the atmosphere...which was a fragile thing to begin with, levels of carbons and other gasses have increased there by measurable amounts in the last 100 years and you think global warming is "just a normal thing"

Just curious....the ice age occurred because the ice collections at the north pole became so heavy that they slid to the south. Now some areas of the north pole which had always been covered by a hundred feet of ice are now visible rock and soil. How does that phenomemon make any sense. The planet started out a chunck of molten lava....and the sun's effect is a constant at this point.....in time it will cool.

Welcome to the real world.

Wow! that is astonishingly lacking in any understanding of the climate.

The cycle of Ice Ages and Interglacials did not start until Continental Drift closed the Isthmus of Panama.

The Sun's effect is not a constant. It varies due to its own cycles and the radiation received at the surface of Earth varies due to cloud cover, the distance from the Sun, the Tilt of the Earth and the Shape of the Orbit among other things.

Of the 100% of the atmosphere around the Earth, about 5% is comprised of Green House Gases. Of the 100% of that 5%, about 3% is CO2.

Stated another way, that's about 380 parts per million.

Of that 380 ppm, 97% comes from natural sources and 3% comes from Anthropogenic sources. Some think it's more like 4%, so let's use that. That's .0000152 ppm of CO2 that we are "Pumping into the atmosphere".

Arguing abut how we can control the climate is pretty much like two fleas on a dog's butt wondering which way they should steer the dog.

The climate's been cooling for ten years despite our best efforts to warm it.

Explain.

You're full of shit... REALLY full of shit. Methinks you watch the "NON-SCIENTIFIC" pricks who need no facts to make a claim...you know, like FAUX NEWS. Man Made Global Warming Is So Obvious That 90% Of All The Scientists In The World Are Adamant About It!!!!

The three trials of a new science:

1: Total Doubt And Denial
2: Get Past Religious Beliefs
3: 50% of Scientists Doubting

Then....Everybody Knows It's The Truth.
How does that fit your ASSERTIONS

Last edited:

You overlook that the point of science IS doubt. You threw the religious thing in there just to bitch about something to make it an issue (which you will ultimately try to steer into a right vs. left thing), but doubt is a critical part of science. Scientists are supposed to doubt. When a scientist publishes a paper the scientific community is expected to hold it up to scrutiny, look for problems, mistakes, confounding variables, try to prove it wrong, etc. People should doubt more often than they do as well.

When scientists are discouraged from testing another scientist's findings, pressured to accept it without question, etc it is no longer "science". It becomes politics at best and religion at worst.

Last edited:
LOL!

We are pumping the fossil fuels out of the ground by the million barrels, burning it in all manner of concentrations, realeasing 90% of the exhaust chemicals into the atmosphere...which was a fragile thing to begin with, levels of carbons and other gasses have increased there by measurable amounts in the last 100 years and you think global warming is "just a normal thing"

Just curious....the ice age occurred because the ice collections at the north pole became so heavy that they slid to the south. Now some areas of the north pole which had always been covered by a hundred feet of ice are now visible rock and soil. How does that phenomemon make any sense. The planet started out a chunck of molten lava....and the sun's effect is a constant at this point.....in time it will cool.

Welcome to the real world.

The cycle of Ice Ages and Interglacials did not start until Continental Drift closed the Isthmus of Panama.

The Sun's effect is not a constant. It varies due to its own cycles and the radiation received at the surface of Earth varies due to cloud cover, the distance from the Sun, the Tilt of the Earth and the Shape of the Orbit among other things.

Of the 100% of the atmosphere around the Earth, about 5% is comprised of Green House Gases. Of the 100% of that 5%, about 3% is CO2.

Of that 380 ppm, 97% comes from natural sources and 3% comes from Anthropogenic sources. Some think it's more like 4%, so let's use that. That's .0000152 ppm of CO2 that we are "Pumping into the atmosphere".

Arguing abut how we can control the climate is pretty much like two fleas on a dog's butt wondering which way they should steer the dog.

Explain.

You're full of shit... REALLY full of shit. Methinks you watch the "NON-SCIENTIFIC" pricks who need no facts to make a claim...you know, like FAUX NEWS. Man Made Global Warming Is So Obvious That 90% Of All The Scientists In The World Are Adamant About It!!!!

If AGW is so easy to prove, then present the proof. As with everyone else on your side of this issue, you have a great talent for name calling and apparently a retarded ability to do research and present proof.

If you have proof and care to present it, everyone in the world would be interested in seeing it. To date, that proof has not been presented in any forum by any person at any time.

You are free to proceed. Before that, though, read my sig line.

Last edited:

Explain.

If AGW is so easy to prove, then present the proof. As with everyone else on your side of this issue, you have a great talent for name calling and apparently a retarded ability to do research and present proof.

If you have proof and care to present it, everyone in the world would be interested in seeing it. To date, that proof has not been presented in any forum by any person at any time.

The proof is that after decades of study the most educated people in the scientific world have come to an agreement about the present state of global warming and it ain't nature doing it. I't's just another example of human greed. You know.....like the games Wall St. was playing with ordinary American's mortgages. The house of cards.....

The proof is that after decades of study the most educated people in the scientific world have come to an agreement about the present state of global warming and it ain't nature doing it. I't's just another example of human greed. You know.....like the games Wall St. was playing with ordinary American's mortgages. The house of cards.....
And, the consensus was that the world was flat, too.

:thup:

Moron. Science isn't done by consensus.

Stick to the bitter-about-religion zone. You are out of your element elsewhere.

Yeah....the people who wrote the bible thought the world was flat. They also thought mankind would have chance to come back from the dead and be either punished for his evil or rewarded for his good. How's that bullshit working for you

Denial by nearly everyone on the planet

Biblical nonsense

Half of the scientists who do not believe it

Then.....everyone knows it's the truth

This is what makes it so hard to say which of you Libs is consistently the biggest fucking moron posting here.

Biblical nonsense

This is what makes it so hard to say which of you Libs is consistently the biggest fucking moron posting here.

Let me clue you in. Pick the intelligent, practical, logical, thorough, up-to-date facts and quit watching FAUX News. That'll help you with your not very complicated problem.

Oh, were you talking about organized religion? I thought you were referring to the theory of "man-made global warming".

Screw religion.....all religion. It's the biggest scam in the history of mankind. People began to make up fairy tales about an afterlife because they didn't have balls enough to accept their mortality.

Yeah....the people who wrote the bible thought the world was flat. They also thought mankind would have chance to come back from the dead and be either punished for his evil or rewarded for his good. How's that bullshit working for you
As, the bible means little to nothing to me, I wonder what other sort of idiotic assumptions you make.

Irrespective of that, science is not done by consensus, moron.

Biblical nonsense

Let me clue you in. Pick the intelligent, practical, logical, thorough, up-to-date facts and quit watching FAUX News. That'll help you with your not very complicated problem.

Most of the time I think its TruthMatters, but then Deany posts so they were neck and neck for a while. You're a whole new fucking moron so it's a photo finish

Most of the time I think its TruthMatters, but then Deany posts so they were neck and neck for a while. You're a whole new fucking moron so it's a photo finish

I know I've done good as soon as some right wing "Absurdist" calls me a name.

Every scientific theory must survive rigorous testing of its theorems and conclusions, the math must be checked and double checked.

A great book on how scientific discovery actually works is [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Microbe-Hunters-Paul-Kruif/dp/0156002620"]called Microbe Hunters by Paul De Kruif.[/ame] He goes over all the tests that Koch, Pastuer and Walter Reed did to prove their theories. The true mark of the scientists is he will go over every objection and make sure the objection has no place to stand before he tells the world his theory.

And even after it is proven correct, it is still tested tested tested. And errors are found and corrected. Newton turned physics on its head, but he had the numbers and facts to support him. Until Faraday came along and raised some new and interesting questions that no one had thought of before.

Forum List

Back