Every Day Should Be Buy American

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Re: 'Shop Small' November 26Th - a good idea but why not extend it a bit. https://www.facebook.com/SmallBusinessSaturday?extlink=ps-gabmd-2011SBS and Shop Small

I've always felt Americans could solve the jobs problem if they had the will and realized you sometimes need to pay more for a product made by someone who has a decent life. Most people would like a decent life. Instead, you hear whining about taxes and regulation and both have been higher and more stringent in the past. So why do we not ask ourselves why?

So what have you done for America? Lots of whining but do you buy made in the USA? Do you drive a made in the America automobile? Do you support small and large businesses who build here? Do you support a fair wage? Scapegoating is heard too often, it is their fault: government, unions, immigrants, take your pick, history is full of examples, but what do you do for America? Do you support legislation that supports the America worker? The only thing I have seen worked since the 2008 election is talk, running your mouth is easy. Talk is cheap, but what do you do for America and its people? Ideas have power, but ideas should be about people. Time to put up or shut-up, Taxes have been reduced since John F. Kennedy and the economy has oddly performed the miracle many preach. Now is the time to fulfill your pledge given to the America people and to do something meaningful and stop pointing fingers. What have you done for America?

Every day of the year buy American. Google 'made in America.'

A few links:

MadeInUSA - Home- Recycling American Dollars Through Patriotic Spending
How Americans Can Buy American
American Made Products Directory - Made in USA, United States Manufacturers
THE AMERICAN LIST | A Continuous Lean.
Shirts Made in USA : All American Clothing
American and Unionmade Clothing by All USA Clothing

Buy American = "Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? Buying a Honda supports more than 2 times more jobs." The Level Field Institute

Bumper stickers I'd like to see.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.

Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.

Quality! our Buick is number one.

Buy American and Thumbs up! http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/128477-did-obama-save-gm-3.html#post2607852

How the hell you get an internet connection to back there in the 1980s?

Greetings from the future!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw1XJbV2HK0]Welcome to the World of Tomorrow! - YouTube[/ame]

Great idea but its no longer really possible to buy most of the stuff we need that is made in America.

...Every day of the year buy American...
Great. No more chocolate. No more coffee. Forget bananas. Ditch any programming from the BBC, and no whistling any Beatles or Stones tunes.

Hey, the Bible was written by foreigners, burn them all!!!!

Great idea but its no longer really possible to buy most of the stuff we need that is made in America.

If i come to a roadblock, do I give up and go home? Americans today are tied to myths long propagated by economists who proved how much they know in 2008, not to mention a thousand times before that unknown strange event. ;) Listen I love my German and Japanese cameras but I like Kodak too, and the idea is, we buy here and support here when we can and we grow our businesses here when we can. Throwing up our hands is for quitters and Americans ain't quitters. Well maybe they are????

See my links, our last four cars were all American and all made here, as are my bikes with Shimano parts. Now an American company is making bike parts, but darn they ain't made here. Consider for instance Verizon, which is making record profits and firing Americans while outsourcing to India. Imagine if enough people spoke up. Or we can all whine. As for us we are good and our kids too. But.....

I keep an incredibly long list of web sites worth a look or covering specific topics, of course, few are worth much time given we seem to have so little time. RustBelt Philosophy is one I read frequently. We need to return to the kind of argument Popper talks about and RBP does that. Check it out. I like the fact the recent piece took on Dennis Prager a wingnut of little real thought, who actually gets paid to do a useless job. ;) And since these pieces covered jobs corporations and government enjoy or not.

Snippets below - you'll need to read if you want more.

Rust Belt Philosophy: No, really: paging Dennis Prager...

"It's perfectly possible, for instance, for a tiny niche company to survive and even thrive on the contributions of a small but devoted group of consumers, but when considered relative to the whole economy it would be ridiculous to say that "consumers" (sans qualification) value that company. This is not just a passing concern for Richman, either, because I'm fairly certain that we can find a decent-sized group of taxpayers who really do value things like infrastructure. While this group may not be large enough to suit Richman's tastes, he needs to make that explicit in his argument so that it can be evaluated fairly instead of leaving it vague and suggestive." Rust Belt Philosophy: More Sheldon Richman

"I will conclude, therefore, by reminding you all that I shouldn't even have to have pointed any of this out to begin with. When people talk about using government infrastructure projects to create jobs, it doesn't fucking matter whether they're "real" jobs or not. Even if these mystery consumers of Richman's would rather have something else besides bridges, the fact remains that government workers are not unemployed. Even if they aren't working "real" jobs, they are earning real money. They are, therefore, really off the unemployment rolls, really spending money again, and so on. Within the current economic context, then, Richman's little hissy fit about terminology misses the point entirely: we can even go so far as to concede that government jobs aren't real jobs but still argue that we need them anyway because of the truly stupid way in which Richman has laid out his criteria. It remains true that Richman's argument is full of holes, mind you, but they are holes that we shouldn't even have to point out to him. If he can't bring himself to master the basics of rational discourse - and as of now he's 0 for 2 on that one - we have no obligation to treat him like anything other than the dimwit he is."

The contempt some people have for their own customers is the reason a good portion of the US manufacturing sector (especially autos) has been struggling in the first place. If the big 3 made quality cars that were in demand, sold them at a reasonable price, and continued to innovate instead of relying on an outdated business model none of this would be an issue.

And when one says "Buy American" but then opposes the creation of jobs in South Carolina the slogan rings hollow.

I get really upset about the perceptions a lot of Americans have about American products. They just don't understand that we're only hurting ourselves.

I get really upset about the perceptions a lot of Americans have about American products...
Me too, but getting upset isn't healthy. Let's remember the old proverb--
“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”
Horace Walpole quotes (English writer, connoisseur, and collector, 1717-1797)
It's the fact that there're really not that many people griping about American products, we're just hearing from a few noisy whiners. US output is twice what it was three decades ago and our exports are at an all time high growing twice as fast as production. The reason we don't hear about it so much is because people that do things aren't nearly as noisey as those that complain about things.

I get really upset about the perceptions a lot of Americans have about American products...
Me too, but getting upset isn't healthy. Let's remember the old proverb--
“The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”
Horace Walpole quotes (English writer, connoisseur, and collector, 1717-1797)
It's the fact that there're really not that many people griping about American products, we're just hearing from a few noisy whiners. US output is twice what it was three decades ago and our exports are at an all time high growing twice as fast as production. The reason we don't hear about it so much is because people that do things aren't nearly as noisey as those that complain about things.

That is true, and I agree that our workers and products are the best in the world. Unfortunately our imports have increased much faster over the past several years. It's like one step forward and two steps back.

What gets me are the people I see driving down the street with an American flag sticker on the back of their Rav4's. Right next to the Obama sticker of course.

Midcan5, we, the people of the United States may be a U.S. enterprises’ executive or owner or employee.
Additionally we may be among or the primary determiners of our families’ financial policies or at very least our spending may reduce the finances available to the remainders of our families.

We of course have responsibilities to our nation but we also have other responsibilities to our families and employers or enterprises or stockholders.

Some believe it is noble to behave altruistically by purchasing higher priced USA produced products that are not superior to available imports. Most of us must function within financial limitations and when we wander beyond that, we are failing our responsibilities to others.

Preaching that we should all purchase domestic products is not a viable solution.

USA’s trade policy should by design establish an economic environment which directly or indirectly is more rewarding to producers and/or exporters of U.S. goods and gives purchasers good reasons to choose U.S. products.

Refer to the topic “Warren Buffett's concept to significantly reduce USA's trade deficit”,
first posted @ 8:10 PM, August 30, 2009 and last posted @ 1:28 PM, June 15, 2011

and to World Wide Web site “USA-Trade-Deficit,Blogspot.Com “.

Respectfully, Supposn

Yea that's possible with all these idiots buying Wal-Mart then turning around and saying BUY AMERICAN and VOTE NEWT GINGRICH/RICK PERRY/MITT ROMNEY.

Fuck.

...reduce USA's trade deficit...
Why does anyone want to reduce the 'trade deficit'?

ExPat¬_Panama, because a trade deficit is ALWAYS detrimental to the GDP; the GDP bolsters the median wage; the median wage is indicative of the nations’ quality of life.

The topic “Trade deficits are ALWAYS detrimental to their nations’ GDPs” provides further explanation. It has just been posted.

Respectfully, Supposn

...reduce USA's trade deficit...
Why does anyone want to reduce the 'trade deficit'?

ExPat¬_Panama, because a trade deficit is ALWAYS detrimental to the GDP; the GDP bolsters the median wage; the median wage is indicative of the nations’ quality of life.

The topic “Trade deficits are ALWAYS detrimental to their nations’ GDPs” provides further explanation. It has just been posted.

Respectfully, Supposn

No it's not. A trade deficit can often be a sign of strength, and a trade surplus can be a sign of weakness.

If two countries trade with one another, and one is growing faster than the other, the faster growing economy can run a trade deficit with the slower economy because it's demand for imports is relatively higher.

No it's not. A trade deficit can often be a sign of strength, and a trade surplus can be a sign of weakness.

If two countries trade with one another, and one is growing faster than the other, the faster growing economy can run a trade deficit with the slower economy because it's demand for imports is relatively higher.

Toro, I’ve posted an answer to this message #18 within the discussion topic “Trade deficits are ALWAYS detrimental to their nations’ GDPs”.

Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back