Everest from a balloon

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Wow. That's a really beautiful picture.

article-1201090-05C95EE9000005DC-234_964x359.jpg

Everest revealed from above in British balloonist's breathtaking panoramic shot of world's highest peaks | Mail Online

Ppl who have climbed Everest say by the time you get up there, you're so worn out and in such a hurry to return that you sit for a sec, take a picture, and immediately turn around and go back. Like Chevy Chase and his family in Vacation when they see the grand canyon.

nice photo...

allie...the window to climb everest is short....you have to start up at 2 am...and turn around by a certian time to live...this is not a flexiable rule...most of those who die on everest have summitted and are on their way down. you cannot spend much time in the "death zone"

or a blind person--:lol:

I met Eric Weihenmeyer in a brewpub in Leadville, Colorado. He was climbing 14'ers with his Kiwi guide/buddy who, if I remember correctly, led him up Everest. He was a nice guy. I don't know why he does it. I guess, because its there.

Here's a video of Erik Weihenmeyer, a man who lost his lower legs to frostbite, and a man who is a parapalegic (climbing accident) climbing a sandstone tower outside of Moab, UT. Talk about some bad ass, muthas! (Shitty quality video)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcqs4PijlDY]YouTube - Erik Wiehenmayer and the "Three Gimps"[/ame]

Great shot but I would have taken the cables out in Photoshop along with some dodge and burning. Pretty crazy platform, he was close to the altitude most airliners operate at.

Badass fucking pic

You can start to see the curvature in the Earth

I think that is more from the effects of a true 17mm wide angle lens looking down. If you look at some of the shots I took at 37,000 feet from a 737(in this same photography section), you will see some of that curving and I wasn't even using that wide of a lens. I believe you need to be at least twice as high as they were to start to see the curvature of the planet. The SR-71's pilots talked about the curvature from 80,000 feet. U-2 Pilots also spoke of it while they flew at 70,000 feet. The X-15 pilots made it up to 67 miles high or 354,330 ft., they definitely saw the curvature.

Badass fucking pic

You can start to see the curvature in the Earth

I think that is more from the effects of a true 17mm wide angle lens looking down. If you look at some of the shots I took at 37,000 feet from a 737(in this same photography section), you will see some of that curving and I wasn't even using that wide of a lens. I believe you need to be at least twice as high as they were to start to see the curvature of the planet. The SR-71's pilots talked about the curvature from 80,000 feet. U-2 Pilots also spoke of it while they flew at 70,000 feet. The X-15 pilots made it up to 67 miles high or 354,330 ft., they definitely saw the curvature.

Agree, though when I first saw it I thought that as well. You can still get to see curvature from a balloon, put you'd have to be significantly higher (the record is over 100,000 feet).

If you look at the picture the balloonists took of themselves the 'horizon' is flat. In the shot of the Himalayan range there is curvature, despite the pictures being taken within a couple minutes of each other and presumably at around the same altitude. It's the lens.

Forum List

Back