Ever use the phrase "long time no see" ? PC'ers say stop it !

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
So my question is, how high a tree would you want to hang these fuckers from ?

Leibee: CSU has gone too far with inclusive language

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board.

If you’re a freshman this year amidst the hustle and bustle of starting college, moving in and figuring out your new routine and lifestyle, orientation leaders at Colorado State University introduced you to an important aspect of CSU’s culture: inclusive language.

Inclusive language includes every identity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, etc. During orientation, we were introduced to gender pronouns such as “they/them/theirs.” This is something to be excited about, and most of us actively respect people’s gender pronouns, but as the semester continues, it has become obvious that inclusive language extends way beyond gender pronouns.

It is great for students to try to use inclusive language, but it has become an expectation of students. This expectation might not be entirely fair. We have been asked to get rid of the language we have been using for as long as we have known the English language.

We were told that the popular term “you guys” was not inclusive of all genders, and we should instead replace it with “y’all.” We were told to use the term “first-year” instead of “freshman,” because “freshman” is not inclusive of all genders.

After getting involved in residential leadership, I was told not to use the word “dorms,” and replace it with “residence halls.” Apparently, dorm refers to only a place where one sleeps, and residence hall refers to a place where we sleep, eat, study and participate in social activities.

A countless amount of words and phrases have been marked with a big, red X and defined as non-inclusive. It has gotten to the point where students should carry around a dictionary of words they cannot say.

In a meeting with Zahra Al-Saloom, the director of Diversity and Inclusion at Associated Students of Colorado State University, she showed me an entire packet of words and phrases that were deemed non-inclusive. One of these phrases was “long time, no see,” which is viewed as derogatory towards those of Asian descent.

Al-Saloom believes inclusive language is important at CSU.

Leibee: CSU has gone too far with inclusive language - The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board.

If you’re a freshman this year amidst the hustle and bustle of starting college, moving in and figuring out your new routine and lifestyle, orientation leaders at Colorado State University introduced you to an important aspect of CSU’s culture: inclusive language.

Inclusive language includes every identity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, etc. During orientation, we were introduced to gender pronouns such as “they/them/theirs.” This is something to be excited about, and most of us actively respect people’s gender pronouns, but as the semester continues, it has become obvious that inclusive language extends way beyond gender pronouns.

It is great for students to try to use inclusive language, but it has become an expectation of students. This expectation might not be entirely fair. We have been asked to get rid of the language we have been using for as long as we have known the English language.

We were told that the popular term “you guys” was not inclusive of all genders, and we should instead replace it with “y’all.” We were told to use the term “first-year” instead of “freshman,” because “freshman” is not inclusive of all genders.

After getting involved in residential leadership, I was told not to use the word “dorms,” and replace it with “residence halls.” Apparently, dorm refers to only a place where one sleeps, and residence hall refers to a place where we sleep, eat, study and participate in social activities.

A countless amount of words and phrases have been marked with a big, red X and defined as non-inclusive. It has gotten to the point where students should carry around a dictionary of words they cannot say.

In a meeting with Zahra Al-Saloom, the director of Diversity and Inclusion at Associated Students of Colorado State University, she showed me an entire packet of words and phrases that were deemed non-inclusive. One of these phrases was “long time, no see,” which is viewed as derogatory towards those of Asian descent.

Leibee: CSU has gone too far with inclusive language - The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Why is "long time no see" derogatory towards Asians when it was meant to be derogatory toward NA's?

Thank for the article. You learn something new everyday. As Ms. Leibee writes it is great that students use inclusive language, but some of the suggestions are ludicrous.

^ another wild conservative exaggeration

How the fuck do they get "Asian" out of that, and even if they did what the fuck would language have to do with ethnicity anyway?

Perhaps these klowns never heard the baseball expression "good field, no hit". Hint: it wasn't coined by an "Asian".

You're offending me. If you do not cease, it will then be harrassment, anything further I will deem it a hate crime.

You're offending me. If you do not cease, it will then be harrassment, anything further I will deem it a hate crime.

Now you're playing the "I'm offended" card. That's bigotry against the offensively-minded. :nono:

Sticks and stones can break your bones, but words can only hurt spoiled uneducated cry baby liberals caught out of their safe zones.....

How the fuck do they get "Asian" out of that, and even if they did what the fuck would language have to do with ethnicity anyway?

Perhaps these klowns never heard the baseball expression "good field, no hit". Hint: it wasn't coined by an "Asian".

Go ask them. Keep in mind however, if you challenge them, they may possibly be offended that you simply do not take their word for it.

Forum List

Back