Ever spend Christmas alone before?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Technically, this will be my first Christmas alone. I say technically because it's not like I haven't seen anyone or will in the days prior or after. My son also spent the night here but will be going home when he wakes up to be with his Mom and the in-laws.

Usually every Christmas was divided between going to my family in NJ on Christmas Day and celebrating with her family on Christmas Eve. I did go to my old house last night so that we could all give our gifts to Jordan (my son). There was only 5 of us so it was a little less festive than years past. I was there for about 3 hours and my son and I came back to my apartment because I got him and X-box game for Christmas and he was desperate to play. I let him stay up a little later than normal and then he asked if he could sleep in my room with myself, the doggy and kitty. Waking up with my son next to me was the best gift I could receive. He doesn't fully understand Christmas or seperations, so he is quite happy, and he'll get additional gifts from his cousins and Grandma in NJ later in the week.

But I'll be back here by 9am after that today and the rest of the day I will be alone. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I got to see my wife and son, and I'll see family next week. I did have an opportunity to see my Dad last week but it didn't work out. So I did, or will, sort of see everyone, but it still feels weird knowing I'll be home alone today.

But Santa did leave some treats and a few toys for Jerome and Mischa though! So there will at least be a little gift opening here!

Christmas alone sucks.

Perhaps you can go out and do something during Christmas day.

I'm glad you were able to spend some time with people you love and care about though, which is always good.

jimnyc said:
Technically, this will be my first Christmas alone. I say technically because it's not like I haven't seen anyone or will in the days prior or after. My son also spent the night here but will be going home when he wakes up to be with his Mom and the in-laws.

Usually every Christmas was divided between going to my family in NJ on Christmas Day and celebrating with her family on Christmas Eve. I did go to my old house last night so that we could all give our gifts to Jordan (my son). There was only 5 of us so it was a little less festive than years past. I was there for about 3 hours and my son and I came back to my apartment because I got him and X-box game for Christmas and he was desperate to play. I let him stay up a little later than normal and then he asked if he could sleep in my room with myself, the doggy and kitty. Waking up with my son next to me was the best gift I could receive. He doesn't fully understand Christmas or seperations, so he is quite happy, and he'll get additional gifts from his cousins and Grandma in NJ later in the week.

But I'll be back here by 9am after that today and the rest of the day I will be alone. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I got to see my wife and son, and I'll see family next week. I did have an opportunity to see my Dad last week but it didn't work out. So I did, or will, sort of see everyone, but it still feels weird knowing I'll be home alone today.

But Santa did leave some treats and a few toys for Jerome and Mischa though! So there will at least be a little gift opening here!

I'm not a huge fan of Christmas. I'd rather not visit in-laws, although my family is pretty cool - steady flow of food and wine, family and other guests are key. The in-laws appraise the cash value of their gifts or tell you they suck, not caring one bit how much though went into the gifts. My stomach has been in a giant knot for the last two days just thinking about it. Real downer. I'd rather be alone.

What XBox games did you get for Jordan?

And, Merry Christmas! I've been alone on Thanksgiving and Easter, but not on Christmas. Sorry to hear you are.

My mom is having trouble with this this year. My dad passed away in '03, but my sister was living at home after her divorce that year. (Her scumbag ex refused to pay his income taxes for the ONE year she filed jointly with him. With penalties and interest, she ended up paying over $25K.) Last year, we had that horrific ice storm. power was out over much of southern Ohio. Dec. 23, with the temp in our house down to 49, we packed up the kids, and went to Mom's bc she still had power. Two of my sisters and their families stayed, too. Actually, that was one of the best Christmases I have ever had. All the cousins played in the snow together.

But Mom is alone this year. We were set to go to the in-laws' party yesterday, and I invited Mom to come with. But my oldest came down with the stomach flu, so I stayed home with her, and Daddy took the other three to the party (Santa made an appearance). Mom came here, and we played Scrabble and drank egg nog.

She is alone all day today, though. We aren't doing my side of the family until Monday. She said last night, she realized she was free to do whatever she wanted, and it scared her. She said, "what is life all about if you don't have anyone to take care of?" I hope she can learn to enjoy her freedom. She isn't much into pets, but I have thought of getting her a lap dog or a kitten. Poor Mom.

jimnyc said:

Merry Christmas Jim. I'm glad you got to have that special time with your adorable son. Let's pray we all have a blessed new year.

jimnyc said:

Been deployed three times over Christmas not to mention the times I've had duty Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Years, and New Years Eve. I just found something to do to keep my mind on something else.

GunnyL said:
Been deployed three times over Christmas not to mention the times I've had duty Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Years, and New Years Eve. I just found something to do to keep my mind on something else.

anyone who has been in the military has been away from home on the holidays and I for one would rather share a foxhole and be shooting at the enemy with my buds than sitting home alone staring at the walls and scratching the cats back...I can really feel Jims pain...hope his New Year finds him with someone to love and be loved!

archangel said:
anyone who has been in the military has been away from home on the holidays and I for one would rather share a foxhole and be shooting at the enemy with my buds than sitting home alone staring at the walls and scratching the cats back...I can really feel Jims pain...hope his New Year finds him with someone to love and be loved!

In the context of his question, I assume by "alone" he meant without family, not in the company of other humans.

I surely did not imply that I was the only person in the military who ever was deployed or stood duty. I answered the question factually ....I was not with my family on those occasions.

GunnyL said:
In the context of his question, I assume by "alone" he meant without family, not in the company of other humans.

I surely did not imply that I was the only person in the military who ever was deployed or stood duty. I answered the question factually ....I was not with my family on those occasions.

than you also have been alone in the sense of without family..I understood Jim meant "alone" meaning alone without human contact! I just wished him well on the tail of your thread! ;)

jimnyc said:

Spent Christmas alone yesterday. I have no problem with that though. I sat around, snacked, watched a movie, then watched TV, napped, drank a few beers, cooked a nice Christmas dinner, AND NOBODY NAGGED ME... :D

I've spent a few Christmas's alone though. Probably four or five when I was in the military. I'm used to being alone. Actually, I like it. It would harder for me at this point to LIVE with someone, than it would be to just stay single.

Pale Rider said:
Spent Christmas alone yesterday. I have no problem with that though. I sat around, snacked, watched a movie, then watched TV, napped, drank a few beers, cooked a nice Christmas dinner, AND NOBODY NAGGED ME... :D

I've spent a few Christmas's alone though. Probably four or five when I was in the military. I'm used to being alone. Actually, I like it. It would harder for me at this point to LIVE with someone, than it would be to just stay single.

Damn .... I'm envious.

Pale Rider said:

Aww, Pale, you could have a nice day with any one of the women on this board. Well, except the banned ones. And I mean that in a non-suggestive way, of course.

Happy New Year!

GunnyL said:
Now I'm REALLY envious.

No need to be. Same goes for you, Gunny!
250.gif

Second Christmas in a row for me. No physical human contact whatsoever, though I spoke with my mom, my dad, and two of my brothers on the phone. And frankly I prefer it. Christmas day has been mostly a hassle for the past....decade or so. It's nice to be able to just relax and have a beer.

I do sort of miss Christmas eve dinner over at grandma's and the party afterwards at my brother's wifes family's house, but it sounds like that didn't even happen this year anyway. So didn't miss anything there.

But my absence is voluntary; I guess I might feel differently about it were it not.

I did notice for the first time that they actually have football games on Christmas, I can't believe that. That's awful that they make those guys play on Christmas. And I thought Thanksgiving was bad...

Zhukov said:

I did notice for the first time that they actually have football games on Christmas, I can't believe that. That's awful that they make those guys play on Christmas. And I thought Thanksgiving was bad...
Worse than that, they make us watch it..All I could find all day long was sports, sports and more sports! Who wants to watch sports on Christmas day?

Then again, who wants to watch TV on Christmas day, unless it's a Christmas show of course. :)

Pale Rider said:

Christmas eve the kids came over and we opened some presents...they went home...Christmas day the grandkids came over for dinner...then went home...do not go to my daughters house cause me and the (yuk) Son in Law(Used loosely) don't get along...Having been married twice...I must agree with being alone and not being nagged is okay with me too! :funnyface

I "did" an alone marriage before I was married. I found it to be quite spiritual to be alone with my thoughts that day. It was quite preferrable to the conversations I had with some relatives this Christmas.

Forum List

Back