Ever battled the utility company over your trees?

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
Just wondering if others here have ever had issues with the electric company tree trimmers? I don't have a branch or tree within 20 feet of the damned lines in ANY direction and nothing that will impact the lines for at least 6 years and they still want to destroy my trees. :evil:

sue them, get the aclu involved etc... cause enough chaos and they will leave

Sorry to hear this, Vel. My dispute was the opposite; I wanted some branches trimmed and they would not do it.

It seems they get to decide when your property is yours.

What is the ROW of the power company?

It depends. They seem to have several different policies. If they classify your property as residential, then they trim to 15 feet of the lines. If they classify your property as a rural right of way, they claim the right to clear cut a 40 foot path. For 15 years, they've treated my property differently every time they show up. I'll upload a pic if I can remember how.

It depends on the type of lines as well. Are these the lines to your house, or are they transmission lines? Most higher voltage lines are just conductors, not wires, and if they sag and hit a tree they will short.

It depends on the type of lines as well. Are these the lines to your house, or are they transmission lines? Most higher voltage lines are just conductors, not wires, and if they sag and hit a tree they will short.

The lines run up my driveway and then over to my neighbor's house. The irony is that MY lines are underground.

As you can see, there is nothing anywhere close to a line and the big trees are outside their ROW.

OK.. You CAN'T see, because despite multiple attempts to teach me by others on USMB, I'm incapable of learning to post a damned photo.

th_8312010004.jpg

By the looks of that picture, it looks like you need some tree trimming around the entrance of your driveway.

I'd suggest that you get someone to do it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
  • Thanks
As you can see, there is nothing anywhere close to a line and the big trees are outside their ROW.

OK.. You CAN'T see, because despite multiple attempts to teach me by others on USMB, I'm incapable of learning to post a damned photo.

th_8312010004.jpg

By the looks of that picture, it looks like you need some tree trimming around the entrance of your driveway.

That's not the entrance to my driveway. That's the center of my driveway. The picture is a bit deceptive. It's wide enough to drive a big Dodge dually through without touching anything on either side. Most of what you can see there is just privet hedge.

th_8312010004.jpg

That's not the entrance to my driveway. That's the center of my driveway. The picture is a bit deceptive. It's wide enough to drive a big Dodge dually through without touching anything on either side. Most of what you can see there is just privet hedge.

But, you could probably have that all cut down and then put up a nice stone wall with lights and a perennial garden. I bet you could make it look nice if they insist on hacking it all down.

But, you could probably have that all cut down and then put up a nice stone wall with lights and a perennial garden. I bet you could make it look nice if they insist on hacking it all down.

Probably, but my biggest concern is the loss of privacy. I've never had to put curtains or blinds on anything but the bedroom windows. Even though I live in a subdivision ( acreage tracts ), once you cross through that driveway, it's always been completely private.

I worked for Asplundh 12 years ago.

That single phase line only requires 10 ft of clearance, at line level and above, on each side.

The reason they want to trim them back is because they only clear the line once every 5 to 7 years, so they want to cut back to laterals against future growth.

Even though they have an easement, they only have a right to trim trees that pose a potential threat to the line.

They won't want to relent.

You'll need to take pictures, talk to the general foreman of the trimming crew, put up sign that say "NO TRIMMING" and take pictures of that, talk to the electric co-op's line clearance manager and tell him your trees are not a threat and you do not give permission for trimming.

Put it in writing and have the general foreman of the trimming company and the electric co-op line manager sign it.

If they refuse, notate that they refused and have it notarized.

Send a copy of the notarized statement along with copies of the pictures of the "no trimming signs" to the Co-op Manager.

Once they know you are serious and have evidence for a lawsuit, they will back off.

You can sue and win if they trim your trees without your permission.

Last edited:
i fight with them all the time...word of advice..dont deal with the linemen...call the electric company and deal with the supervisor...be nice....we battle but i do it nicely...they come out and fuss with me...your problem is the same as mine....not the electric to your house but it goes to the neigbhors....so they have to cut it...but you can normally get them to compromise on it....

about 8 years ago they came out and trimmed two large maples under the line....it was a fight...i was hitting with with a rolled up paper to make him stop cutting...i also referred to them...as a bunch of men with a hard on for chain saws...the maples grew like there was no tomorrow...so my hubby called them and told them they could take the trees down....they were here within 2 days...it broke my heart but the men all agreed it was the best solution....ooooooo suddenly they are hubbys best buddies...he called and they have come out and taken down two trees for him that died...

but with anything....its best to be nice...they will normally response to that...

• Thanks

Forum List

Back