even whites are sufferring

don't think it matters what color Moonglow is...I've known people on welfare all my life and most of them were white.

Yeah, a disproportionate amount of blacks are on welfare but the majority of people on welfare are still white, although, I'm not sure that would hold if you took the Russian out of the mix. When my brother in law came here from Canada, my parents had to sponsor him and promise my sister and he wouldn't go on welfare for "x" number of years (I can't remember the exact number) yet now we have immigrants coming into our country and going on welfare the next day, I don't get it.

There is something wrong with our immigration policy. Americans have reduced their birthrate to less than replacement value, if our government hadn't increased the number of immigrants in this country, by the law of supply and demand the lowest paid workers in this country would be making a lot more money by now as there would be fewer people available to do those low skilled jobs.
-----------------------------
Sheila, you've got it going on, Gerl!

Didn't know that about the Russians; but, my point is, most of the Caucasians I know who are on "food stamps" or Medicaid are working poor, and trying very hard to survive, while maintaining their dignity. They, statistically, are on the public dole for much shorter periods of time than Negroes. Negroes seem to see it not just as a way of life, but as an ENTITLEMENT!

Some states have a credit card sort of deal instead of the old food stamps with which they can buy soda, cigarettes, alcohol, potato chips, and even get a little cash. An outrage to a person who believes in teaching a person to fish rather than giving him a credit card, but the well is running dry so that won't be happening much longer.

I don't think you know many blacks...or whites on welfare. The one's I've known, some of them, of both colors are chronic welfare abusers.

Yeah, a disproportionate amount of blacks are on welfare but the majority of people on welfare are still white,

Unless you're counting hispanics as white, the majority of people on welfare are not white. Hispanics aren't white. And, even if whites are on welfare, there less to blame than minorities on welfare. Lower-class whites suffer the most from anti-white racism. They're the one who get rejected from college in favor of less qualified Afros. They're the ones who lose out to minority-only funds, programs, and jobs. They're the ones most culturally pulled down by Afros because of their close proximity to Afros.

There is something wrong with our immigration policy. Americans have reduced their birthrate to less than replacement value, if our government hadn't increased the number of immigrants in this country, by the law of supply and demand the lowest paid workers in this country would be making a lot more money by now as there would be fewer people available to do those low skilled jobs.

Lowering the cost of workers is why the rich elite love and promote immigration.

Somehow, I don't believe your tale of woe....Maybe it's because if you really had spent your childhood going to bed hungry, you'd be short and in bad health.

I have a short temper and bad attitude. Does that count? :D

No, but at least you have your sense of humor. :D

I grew up poor. The first time I had a dress that belonged to me before it belonged to anyone else was when I was in 4th grade. My mother got 3 dresses on sale at Sears for $5. One of them was really ugly, but I wore it anyway. I remember my mom yelling at me one day because "Sheila, you wear out clothes faster than any kid I know". I looked down at the hole in my pants that had belonged to my two older sisters before me and had been handed down to me just that day.

We NEVER went hungry. There was always food in our house. My mom knew how to stretch a dollar and we learned from her. Every Friday night we got into the old station wagon and drove to Dairy Queen for our treat of a "milkshake" for each of us kids.

I remember my parents being invited to a formal event at the officer's club. My mom had just bought two bridesmaid dresses at the goodwill for my sisters who had joined Job's daughters. Instead of giving them to the girls she got out her sewing machine and made up a dress for herself, the first time she'd done such a thing in a long time, mom hardly ever bought clothes for herself. She told me later that she overheard the commander's wife saying "That woman spends every dime that captain makes on clothes". Mom was thrilled her sewing skills measured up.

One year, when my sister started school, they didn't have enough money to buy her new shoes. Mom sewed felt flowers over the wholes in my sister's tennis shoes and sent her off to the first day of school. She should have patented the idea because by the end of the school year they were selling flowered tennis shoes.

Christmas one year, my dad got some wood from someone at work that was getting rid of it. I got a homemade toy box. My sister Susan got a little curio cabinet for her tea set that my parents had brought home from Japan, before she was even born. My other sister got a record cabinet with a portable record player built in that a relative had given us and several records that came with it. We each got a button box. It was a great Christmas.

Being poor is not a bad thing. Not be able to feed your kids or put a roof over their heads is a terrible thing and that's what's happening today.

Of course, today we have people on welfare who have a bedroom for each of their kids while working people are having 3 kids or more share a room. I truly think there is a difference between being poor and being on welfare. That's why I'm all for a living wage at the bottom of the scale, so those on welfare have no excuse and we can cut back on those programs. As far as I'm concerned, there should be disability and unemployment but no one should ever be paid for having kids or get another bedroom because they had another get. ( and yes a pregnant woman on welfare told me that was her reason for getting pregnant, so she could get another bedroom)

Unfortunately, people don't realize that when you don't pay a living wage at the bottom of the scale, it makes it much easier for people to decide to go the welfare route. And when people who are working are getting subsidized by the taxpayer, that amounts to us subsidizing their employers.

If you can't afford to pay your employees a living wage, maybe you shouldn't be in business. I think our economy was just fine with a lot fewer fast food restaurants and a lot more mom and pop restaurants, and mw paid more than 1/3 more than it does today.

Golly gee that's a sad story. How unfair that you weren't able to march into your more prosperous neighbors house and take their food and clothing.

I have a short temper and bad attitude. Does that count? :D

No, but at least you have your sense of humor. :D

I grew up poor. The first time I had a dress that belonged to me before it belonged to anyone else was when I was in 4th grade. My mother got 3 dresses on sale at Sears for $5. One of them was really ugly, but I wore it anyway. I remember my mom yelling at me one day because "Sheila, you wear out clothes faster than any kid I know". I looked down at the hole in my pants that had belonged to my two older sisters before me and had been handed down to me just that day.

We NEVER went hungry. There was always food in our house. My mom knew how to stretch a dollar and we learned from her. Every Friday night we got into the old station wagon and drove to Dairy Queen for our treat of a "milkshake" for each of us kids.

I remember my parents being invited to a formal event at the officer's club. My mom had just bought two bridesmaid dresses at the goodwill for my sisters who had joined Job's daughters. Instead of giving them to the girls she got out her sewing machine and made up a dress for herself, the first time she'd done such a thing in a long time, mom hardly ever bought clothes for herself. She told me later that she overheard the commander's wife saying "That woman spends every dime that captain makes on clothes". Mom was thrilled her sewing skills measured up.

One year, when my sister started school, they didn't have enough money to buy her new shoes. Mom sewed felt flowers over the wholes in my sister's tennis shoes and sent her off to the first day of school. She should have patented the idea because by the end of the school year they were selling flowered tennis shoes.

Christmas one year, my dad got some wood from someone at work that was getting rid of it. I got a homemade toy box. My sister Susan got a little curio cabinet for her tea set that my parents had brought home from Japan, before she was even born. My other sister got a record cabinet with a portable record player built in that a relative had given us and several records that came with it. We each got a button box. It was a great Christmas.

Being poor is not a bad thing. Not be able to feed your kids or put a roof over their heads is a terrible thing and that's what's happening today.

Of course, today we have people on welfare who have a bedroom for each of their kids while working people are having 3 kids or more share a room. I truly think there is a difference between being poor and being on welfare. That's why I'm all for a living wage at the bottom of the scale, so those on welfare have no excuse and we can cut back on those programs. As far as I'm concerned, there should be disability and unemployment but no one should ever be paid for having kids or get another bedroom because they had another get. ( and yes a pregnant woman on welfare told me that was her reason for getting pregnant, so she could get another bedroom)

Unfortunately, people don't realize that when you don't pay a living wage at the bottom of the scale, it makes it much easier for people to decide to go the welfare route. And when people who are working are getting subsidized by the taxpayer, that amounts to us subsidizing their employers.

If you can't afford to pay your employees a living wage, maybe you shouldn't be in business. I think our economy was just fine with a lot fewer fast food restaurants and a lot more mom and pop restaurants, and mw paid more than 1/3 more than it does today.

Golly gee that's a sad story. How unfair that you weren't able to march into your more prosperous neighbors house and take their food and clothing.

Yeah, right, that's happening today isn't it?

Forum List

Back