Even Republicans Are Sick of Tea Party Nonsense

Twalbert

Jul 19, 2011
I get the feeling that, if he were still alive, Ronald Reagan would like to choke the hell out of someone in the Tea Party movement.
Before you write that off as too outlandish, consider this: The Tea Party of 2010 America would consider Ronald Reagan to be insufficiently conservative to earn their support. Let's face it. Whatever your political orientation, if Ronald Reagan isn't conservative enough for you, you are an extremist. It's like saying that Franklin Roosevelt fella just wasn't left-wing enough.

(Then again, Ronald Reagan raised taxes, ran a huge deficit, granted amnesty to illegal immigrants, pulled troops out of the Middle East, and was, at one point, the president of a union.)

Of course, Reagan isn't the only Republican icon who'd have problems with the Tea Party. Barry Goldwater, father of the modern conservative movement, was socially liberal and actually read the Constitution a few times. He'd get booed off of Sean Hannity's Fox News set before he could even get a word out.

And while they were happy to ride the Tea Party Angry Moron Express Bus to victory in 2010, the Republican establishment is finding out the hard way that these ideologues are not easy to negotiate with.

For example, the country is quickly running up against the debt ceiling limit. The roughly eight hundred billion times this has happened before, Congress raised the limit via legislation (which was signed by the president, of course). This happened under Republican Congresses and under Democratic Congresses. This happened under Republican Presidents and Democratic Presidents. It's a formality; a quick accounting boost to allow the Secretary of the Treasury to issue more securities so he can raise the cash to pay our bills. It's nothing, in the grand scheme of things.

Until, of course, it is made into an issue by Tea Party folks.

Again, as the issue began months ago, the Republican leadership was more than happy to play along with their anger, hoping to spin some political pressure into concessions on spending from the White House. The idea was to get a deal done that benefited Republicans and cut spending — whatever the deal may be — and then pass the debt ceiling increase.

But something happened along the way to that bill. Namely, the GOP-controlled House, much more conservative than its Senate counterpart, decided it didn't want to play ball.

Some Representatives insisted that the debt ceiling limit — a non-partisan accounting maneuver — was now fair game for a high-stakes political game of chicken. The new GOP logic became a coin flip: Heads the GOP wins, Tails we all lose (and blame Obama).

So now, the GOP leadership finds itself in a bind. It is, by all accounts (other than

Representative Eric Cantor, who needs conservative support to get the Vice Presidential nod) ready to make a deal. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell proposed a solution to take the matter out of Congress entirely. The "Gang of Six" has met and put together its own bipartisan solution. There are a handful of competing plans that are, to varying degrees, acceptable to both parties.

Yet a deal cannot be reached because the Tea Party wants all or nothing...and they are willing to push the entire country into default in order to get it.

Is that only my sentiment? Nope. Try Judd Gregg, former Republican senator from New Hampshire and a future Presidential candidate/Supreme Court nominee.

"My gut tells me that we'll need a weekend of drama — maybe a weekend of the government not paying its bills — politicians need drama to make something happen. As soon as social security checks don't go out, the politics will change. I suspect it'll take artificial drama to get closure past the House."

Yep. You read that right. A Republican who knows his stuff predicted it would take a fake crisis, along with grandparents not receiving their monthly Social Security living stipend (you know, the check they use to buy food and medicine) to get the Tea Party to pass a bill they're going to pass anyway. Maybe my colleague was right; politics *IS* theater for ugly people...on the inside and out.

As none other than neocon columnist David Brooks pointed out, this is "The Mother of All No-Brainers."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/opinion/05brooks.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

If the debt ceiling talks fail, independent voters will see that Democrats were willing to compromise but Republicans were not. If responsible Republicans don’t take control, independents will conclude that Republican fanaticism caused this default. They will conclude that Republicans are not fit to govern.

And they will be right.

If you want to see more on why Brooks has been labeled a neocon, click here.

Of course Republicans don't like the Tea Party. The Tea Partiers at least pay LIP SERVICE to a number of actually CONSERVATIVE ideals. The Republican Party can't even claim to do that. They're essentially the centrist arm of the Democratic Party and have been for at least the last century. As I've said before, the last Conservative in Washington, DC was President Andrew Jackson.

As for compromise.... Anyone willing to compromise their position didn't have one to begin with.

It's the tail wagging the dog

Republicans don't know what to do about it

Wellllll .... I know, I know; this is coming out of left field. But MAYBE they could represent their constituents?

Or better yet they could put RIGHT and WRONG ahead of everything else and actually start getting this country back on the right track.

Wellllll .... I know, I know; this is coming out of left field. But MAYBE they could represent their constituents?

Hope I didn't rock any boats. :eusa_hand:

They don't give a shit about their constituents. They are too afraid of the 25% voting block of the radical right wing

Hope I didn't rock any boats. :eusa_hand:

They don't give a shit about their constituents. They are too afraid of the 25% voting block of the radical right wing

I'm tellin ya!

I just hope America is as good at bearing a grudge as I am. Because come next election cycle, I'm going to be reminding everyone everywhere all the time of how the R's were more than willing to risk default in the summer of 2011.

Being held hostage by madmen is not how I pictured my summer vacation.

/sulk

The National Debt has to be taken care of, but not in a dogmatic way. What we have here is a minority party with a minority representation within the House dictating the agenda by using threats within their own party. They don't care if they lose their next election and they don't care how many ordinary citizens they take down in the process. It's like a murder/suicide scenario with these fanatics.

Reagan raised taxes as part of a debt reduction deal, a deal the democrats renigged on.... The tea party wants lower taxes, smaller government, and more accountable representatives.

Why would something like this be so offensive to some?

Of course Republicans don't like the Tea Party. The Tea Partiers at least pay LIP SERVICE to a number of actually CONSERVATIVE ideals. The Republican Party can't even claim to do that. They're essentially the centrist arm of the Democratic Party and have been for at least the last century. As I've said before, the last Conservative in Washington, DC was President Andrew Jackson.

As for compromise.... Anyone willing to compromise their position didn't have one to begin with.

The founders compromised quite a bit in creating our Constitution; without compromise we might still be floundering under the Articles of Confederation - assuming the United States continued to exist without creating a more perfect union.

Radicals want it their way and refuse to consider alternatives. Sane and sensible leaders know this, they strive to achieve aggreement on important matters and will compromise when necessary. Compromise is not capitulation.

The Tea Party is a radical movement driven by demagoguery, emotion gets a mob only so far - eventually the adults take control and establish order fairly and within the rules of law. When the inmates take over the asylum anarchy is the result and no one benefits.

Reagan raised taxes as part of a debt reduction deal, a deal the democrats renigged on.... The tea party wants lower taxes, smaller government, and more accountable representatives.

Why would something like this be so offensive to some?

"Reneged", retard.

Or better yet they could put RIGHT and WRONG ahead of everything else and actually start getting this country back on the right track.

The RIGHT track, you mean another recession? Like the country and working Americans could handle THAT?

Top economist: Raise the debt ceiling or blow the recovery 'out of the water'

"If we get to August 2 and there is no debt ceiling limit, and there has to be significant spending cuts – even if Congress and the administration reverse themselves days later, I think the damage will have been serious, and we probably would be thrown into a recession,” Zandi said.'
Top economist: Raise the debt ceiling or blow the recovery 'out of the water' - CSMonitor.com

The country hasn't made much progress recovering from the last recession and we could very well have ANOTHER recession. How is that good?

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm, I missed that... anyway, do you have anything to say regarding the content of my post other than correcting my spelling?

thanks.

Forum List

Back