Even Its Creators Want To Shut Down The Government’s Asset-forfeiture Racket

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Sheesh

SNIP:
Daniel J. Mitchell | Sep 20, 2014

1613c45a-d652-4ce2-ae02-3e87c195a3c2.jpg

If you ask me about the most wasteful department in the federal government, I’ll state that there are lots of good choices, but if forced to identify the best candidate for elimination, I’ll go with the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
If you ask me about the entitlement program most in need of reform, I’m tempted to say
all of them, but ultimately I’ll argue that we should first fix Medicaid by devolving it to the states, accompanied by block grants as a transitional funding mechanism.
But if you ask me to identify the most evil and despicable thing that government does, I have no hesitation in picking asset forfeiture, which is
the horrifying practice of bureaucrats stealing private property simply because they think the owners may have some connection with criminal activity.
*Such as when the government wanted to
steal someone’s truck because a different person was arrested for drunk driving.
*Such as when the government tried to steal the bond money a family has collected to bail out a relative.
*Such as when the government
seized nearly $400,000 of a business owner’s money because it was in the possession of an armored car company suspected of wrongdoing.

ALL of it here:
Even its Creators Want to Shut Down the Government s Asset-Forfeiture Racket - Daniel J. Mitchell - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary - Page 1

Forum List

Back