Even Huffpo thinks Romney was the clear winner in tonights debate!

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
William Galston: The First Debate
First, Romney presented himself as a reasonable man -- neither an extremist nor an ideologue. He calmly rebutted familiar attacks on his proposals. He was clear and forceful, tough but respectful. He sounded knowledgeable. He conveyed an impression of competence and experience as a potential manager of the economy. He praised some aspects of the Obama administration's program, such as its Race to the Top education reform program. And when he insisted on the importance of working together across party lines, it sounded as though he meant it.

Second, Romney wove a number of anecdotes -- peoples' stories from the campaign trail -- into his policy discussions. This had the effect of softening his image as a soulless manager focused solely on the bottom line. So did his assertion that the country has a responsibility to care for those who cannot care for themselves.

Third, Romney provided a number of policy specifics, and his virtual PowerPoint style -- a series of bullets laid out clearly -- underscored the impression of specificity. My guess is that viewers will come away with the sense that they know considerably more than they did before

Fourth, Romney found an organizing theme for his proposals -- job creation. He defended his views on marginal tax rates as conducive to the formation and growth of small business, a major source of employment gains. By repeatedly returning to the subject of job creation, he linked his managerial skills to the well-being of real human beings.

Did Romney commit an egregious gaffe that will be replayed repeatedly in the coming days? If he did, I missed it.

The bottom line: I think Romney did himself considerable good during the first debate. I would not be surprised to learn that a majority of the American people think he won it outright. At the very least, he vastly exceeded expectations. I suspect that over the next week, the public opinion surveys will show a significantly narrowing of the gap between President Obama and his re-energized challenger.

The first debate usually sets the tone for the rest of the campaign.

Romney just undid nearly 6 months of Obama campaign ads against him trying to depict him as someone who is a wall street tycoon who doesn't care about the nation.

Obama should be scared tonight because his propaganda isnt going to work.

If you're going to present yourself as even remotely credible, you have to acknowledge that Romney rolled Obama tonight. I suspect that any lefty that writes anything about it though would caveat the hell out of it, noting inconsistencies, nit picking little things here and there, etc. Like trying to pick the corn from the shit and say the corn is still good.

But, it's a small victory. Hooray for Romney and the conservatives. Now, let's see how he can follow it up, especially in the next debate where expectations will be much higher now.

Yep the media knows if they tried to cover Maobama after that display they would lose what little credibility that have left.

The international media called it a 'decent win' (BBC), and Romney was '... the clear winner' (Sky News).

Good enough for me since neither organization has a dog in the hunt... and the BBC is left leaning.

Romney won but he moved back to where he belongs. A liberal Republican who basically stated he wanted the samethings as obama, just slightly different.

Im not going to read to much into Obama not wanting to be there since it was his anniversary. I will blame him for looking weak though.

Forum List

Back