Even as American Families Struggle, Oil Companies Triumph at the Pump and in Congress

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
Frances Beinecke: Even as American Families Struggle, Oil Companies Triumph at the Pump and in Congress

The oil industry got 48 Senators, including three Democrats, to continue handing over wasteful federal subsidies for oil drilling. That means a bill to end giveaways to the five largest oil companies failed to get the 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. There were some hopeful signs, though. A majority of the Senate did vote to end the federal largesse, including two Republicans, Maine Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins.

Still, the failure of the Senate to take this simple, common-sense step is staggering. Many Americans are paying more than $4 a gallon for gas. Our economy is still reeling from the worst recession in decades. And the federal budget is experiencing a deficit crisis of historic proportions.

Yet many lawmakers want to hand over our money to an industry in which the top five companies made $35 billion in the first quarter of this year alone. This same industry received $51 billion in federal subsidies and favorable tax treatment between 2002 and 2008, and yet still they ask for the subsidies to keep flowing.

Who really gives a shit about us commoners except if we're filthy rich? Moneys talks, real political issues and the will of the majority walks, bunch of bought son's of bitches.

Woe are the pitiful famiwies. Woe is them.

Woe is me who pays $3.00/gallon of milk. and $2 bread. Woe with the flow.

Yknow what I did the other day? I bought 4 (count 'em four) $25 gas gift cards and gave them to the dumb bastards that deliver meals on wheels in my town. They donate their time and money and gas to take food to old people. What have you done for your fellow man lately?

Stop your worthless lamenting.

Woe are the pitiful famiwies. Woe is them.

Woe is me who pays $3.00/gallon of milk. and $2 bread. Woe with the flow.

Yknow what I did the other day? I bought 4 (count 'em four) $25 gas gift cards and gave them to the dumb bastards that deliver meals on wheels in my town. They donate their time and money and gas to take food to old people. What have you done for your fellow man lately?

Stop your worthless lamenting.

He's complained about evil Republicans.

It's ok to complain. I got plenty to complain about but money ain't one of them. Not my money not anyone else's money. It never bought me the shit that matters in life because I've been so down and out that neither love nor money could buy what I needed. I found it in myself. I was like woe is me. So I pull myself up- not uncle sammy. Then I get to the place where I can give something. Not to the woeful famiwies that pay 1/4 for gasowine that Europeans pay. No- I give to people that give. That way nobody knows and that's how I like it.

"I feel awful for you, I can only imagine your hardship.
If only I could walk a mile in your shoes...please...I have no shoes.
Here, please accept a few Rupees, I only wish I could spare more."

Attachments

• $indian beggar.jpg
    $indian beggar.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 63
Stunning spikes in energy prices have an immediate effect on folks whose finances were on the edge to begin with.

And when that happens the economy fibrilates

EVen if you happen to be in that financial state where such spikes are insignificant to you, you are still a creature of this economy.

It's ok to complain. I got plenty to complain about but money ain't one of them. Not my money not anyone else's money. It never bought me the shit that matters in life because I've been so down and out that neither love nor money could buy what I needed. I found it in myself. I was like woe is me. So I pull myself up- not uncle sammy. Then I get to the place where I can give something. Not to the woeful famiwies that pay 1/4 for gasowine that Europeans pay. No- I give to people that give. That way nobody knows and that's how I like it.

everybody should learn this tune>

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cah4f8OKmDY&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - ‪"Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" - Derek and the Dominos‬‏[/ame]

Frances Beinecke: Even as American Families Struggle, Oil Companies Triumph at the Pump and in Congress

The oil industry got 48 Senators, including three Democrats, to continue handing over wasteful federal subsidies for oil drilling. That means a bill to end giveaways to the five largest oil companies failed to get the 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. There were some hopeful signs, though. A majority of the Senate did vote to end the federal largesse, including two Republicans, Maine Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins.

Still, the failure of the Senate to take this simple, common-sense step is staggering. Many Americans are paying more than $4 a gallon for gas. Our economy is still reeling from the worst recession in decades. And the federal budget is experiencing a deficit crisis of historic proportions.

Yet many lawmakers want to hand over our money to an industry in which the top five companies made $35 billion in the first quarter of this year alone. This same industry received $51 billion in federal subsidies and favorable tax treatment between 2002 and 2008, and yet still they ask for the subsidies to keep flowing.

Who really gives a shit about us commoners except if we're filthy rich? Moneys talks, real political issues and the will of the majority walks, bunch of bought son's of bitches.

So, let's be shocked that the Republicans have, once again, shown us that they are the party of big business and corporate interest. Anyone shocked?

So, let's be shocked that the Republicans have, once again, shown us that they are the party of big business and corporate interest. Anyone shocked?

sure honey,, bitch about corporations and big business. get rid of em,,, we need about 6 million more unemployed,, that's the ticket.. you demonRats are the party of foodstamps.

Pretty damn funny watching the twits on the left trying to avoid talking about how much the Fed state and local get per gallon. Its the evil producer who take the risks and spend the money to make the product are the ones they whine about.

Why is it you failures can't talk about those profits hmmm?

Kinda makes one wonder why the continued subsidies when oil companies are perfetly capable of paying their own way?? Our glorious elected officials don't seem to care how many of our tax dollars they spend.

Campaign contributions perhaps??

We all know how the Reps and Dems love the dollars.

sure honey,, bitch about corporations and big business. get rid of em,,, we need about 6 million more unemployed,, that's the ticket.. you demonRats are the party of foodstamps.

Nobody said a thing about getting "rid" of big business, but how about we get rid of the subsidies we pay them? Seriously, how can ANYONE defend giving subsidies to a corporation that made billions in profits in the last quarter?

What's the difference between welfare and corporate welfare except that ACTUAL welfare helps more people?

Why did the dems target only oil companies? Why not go after all big corporations with huge profits, like say, GE?
This was a pure political move to try and get brownie points for themselves.
The oil companies said they will give up these tax breaks, similar to breaks every company can use, if they are allowed to drill on land they have leases on but not permits.

New Topics

Forum List

Back