Even all powerful cannot fix the economy

Nor does it matter which party WAS in the White House?

Looks to me like the Senate is going to be evenly divided, no matter who is president it will be tough to get major legislation passed. I think the sluggish economy will continue with the eventual recession occurring; my guess it happens during the next 4 years no matter who wins in november.

It appears that it does matter because it sure as hell wasn't Clinton who was throwing away 750 THOUSAND jobs every month and it wasn't while Clinton was in office that we lost 40 THOUSAND factories. And, it hasn't been the R who have added jobs every single month for more than two years.

=============

Be that as it may, I don't believe that is or should be the point of the thread.

Stop looking to blame for just a little while. Watch and listen to the link.

What I suspect is that we will or already have, come to a point where we simply cannot add enough jobs to employ everyone who is currently unemployed and/or getting out of high school, college, trade school, etc.

This experiment tends to bear that out.

If this is true, and even if it is not, we really MUST not allow Kochs and others to sell us out to foreign interests. We really MUST not allow our country to become one giant WalMart.

If we don't act against the current trend, we will become nothing more than a bedroom community for China. THAT is what the likes of Adelman and Murdoch have been working for.

Where does the radical left stand on the economy? For the last two years we have been hearing that corporations and banks are evil capitalist institutions and then all of a sudden when the election is drawing close it seems that corporations aren't so bad. It is it all smoke and mirrors to the left? Where do they stand? If we took away the party designation, which man would you seriously support...the former community activist with the mysterious past and association with a domestic terrorist who never had a real job that wasn't financed by an endowment fund or taxpayers....or a successful businessman who met payrolls and was responsible for a budget and knows how to deal with the economy?

It's hard to fix ANYTHING if you don't correctly assess WHY it's broken.. And the MAJORITY of politicians and journalists are wrong about the cause. Including this cute but simplistic NPR piece in the OP.

The economy has had a massive STRUCTURAL shift from the production of goods to a service economy. You do not STIMULATE a service based economy by handing out money and tax breaks. All this does is increase the wealth gap as Chinese factories hire the workers and large US multi-nationals pocket the profits. You also don't buck up a shrinking middle class with MORE regulation that favors the huge corporations and punishes new innovative ventures and product invention.

It's gonna take NEW economics to realize that world is Global and that the honor of HAVING a middle class is based not on CONSUMPTION of existing products -- but on constant innovation and creation of NEW ones. And I fear that our most influential leaders are still relying on textbooks from the FDR era and we are wasting valuable time arguing over stuff that largely doesn't matter any more..

This all reminds me of the Jimmy Carter era when we were promised the American Age was over.
It was nonsense then, it's nonsense now.
The issue is a strangling regulatory and tax culture, along with a predatory legal system, that discourages innovation and success and rewards inefficiency. While some past administrations have pursued policies that led to that to one degree or another, none of them match the present administration for sheer volume and one sidedness.
Get rid of that crap and the economy will expand. It doesnt need government management, it needs less gov't micro management.

Where does the radical left stand on the economy? For the last two years we have been hearing that corporations and banks are evil capitalist institutions and then all of a sudden when the election is drawing close it seems that corporations aren't so bad. It is it all smoke and mirrors to the left? Where do they stand? If we took away the party designation, which man would you seriously support...the former community activist with the mysterious past and association with a domestic terrorist who never had a real job that wasn't financed by an endowment fund or taxpayers....or a successful businessman who met payrolls and was responsible for a budget and knows how to deal with the economy?

Actually I still think corporations and banks are greedy bastards ;)

But I like another post on here that talks about how we need to stop arguing over the dumb stuff so we can actually accomplish something!

But I like another post on here that talks about how we need to stop arguing over the dumb stuff so we can actually accomplish something!

Do you know a business whose managers are not greedy bastards?

It appears that it does matter because it sure as hell wasn't Clinton who was throwing away 750 THOUSAND jobs every month and it wasn't while Clinton was in office that we lost 40 THOUSAND factories. And, it hasn't been the R who have added jobs every single month for more than two years.

=============

Be that as it may, I don't believe that is or should be the point of the thread.

Stop looking to blame for just a little while. Watch and listen to the link.

What I suspect is that we will or already have, come to a point where we simply cannot add enough jobs to employ everyone who is currently unemployed and/or getting out of high school, college, trade school, etc.

This experiment tends to bear that out.

If this is true, and even if it is not, we really MUST not allow Kochs and others to sell us out to foreign interests. We really MUST not allow our country to become one giant WalMart.

If we don't act against the current trend, we will become nothing more than a bedroom community for China. THAT is what the likes of Adelman and Murdoch have been working for.
So, it does not matter who is in the Whitehouse but it DOES matter who was in the Whitehouse. Is this because who was had an R next to his name and who is has a D next to his?

You can’t have it both ways.

As far as the rest of your post goes, it is true but, again, biased. You point out that the favorite scapegoat to blame everything on the right that the left uses (Koch brothers) yet fail to mention that the left is in the same boat. Continue to argue about tax structure like the left and right have been doing all election and you are going to end up in the exact same place. It is not the things that divide the left and right driving out economy into the ground, it is the things they AGREE ON.

Last edited by a moderator:
What will do more than anything else to fix the economy is to leave it alone. Stop the aggressive taxation, stop the over regulation and leave business alone.

Actually --- I'm in 10 or 12 diff companies (of all sizes) a year in High Tech and I RARELY see any fixation on merely making MONEY.. It's ASSUMED that if you succeed with your product development YOU WILL MAKE some cash.. So no one fixates on the profit. Efficiency? Yes. Reasonable spending? Yes --- but greedy - ............. haven't seen it....

A big part of the problem is that there aren't enough jobs for the unskilled or semi-skilled in this country unless they're willing to work for wages equivalent to their Chinese counterparts.

A big part of the problem is that there aren't enough jobs for the unskilled or semi-skilled in this country unless they're willing to work for wages equivalent to their Chinese counterparts.

That part of life is not gonna get better.. It's NOT just pressure from China, it's automation and efficiency as well. Probably the LATTER is the bigger threat to the unskilled worker -- EVEN IN China..

A 21st Century factory has jobs at ALL LEVELS.. Just not as many in total and more slanted to the semi-skilled or flexible. We have to tackle this reality head on..

Look at the sophistication of today's farmers. It's a fairly complex biz.. NOT the same as it was even 60 years ago... FLEXIBILITY and ADAPTABILITY is more important than specific skills. Which is why UNIONS also need to read the tea leaves and ADAPT or become increasingly irrelevent for attempting to limit the definition of "a job"...

The answer then is to become skilled or even semi skilled. There is a shortage of plumbers, electricians, and in all the skilled trades. This is a world wide shortage. The shortage is fueled by those who do not believe the should be required to work and by those who think that with a college degree in pre-columbian transgenderism shouldn't have to do that kind of work.

Yes sir, I know quite a few.

I read a good book by Mr. Dylan Ratigan ironically titled, Greedy Bastards.

I highly recommend it.

He explains how a lot of the large corporations, banks, colleges, and health care institutions are greedy in the "short term."

He also explains how in order to fix our problems with society they, and everyone, needs to be greedy in the long term. Hard to explain. I recommend it though!

So yeah, I didn't explain it well, but there are ways corps/businesses can be successful without being greedy!

The economy is easy to fix. Get government out of the way and keep the commandments of God.

Forum List

Back