Even a free market, anti-statists such as myself, I see the value in Social Security.

Valox

Dec 1, 2011
I think Social Security needs reform and needs to be pushed upon to the states. It is not the matter of the federal government. However, I can see the tremendous impact it has had. It has significantly reduced poverty rates among the elderly and has helped smooth out the business cycle.

As a free market, limited government type of person, social security is one of the last policies I would attack.

Why would I gamble with people's livelihoods over a belief system? I think people need to retire older and get less payout, but I believe in a safety for old people, even if I don't believe that is the federal government's jobs. I believe that elderly should have a decent life.

In fact, this is why Social Security was enacted, too many old people were falling through the cracks. I don't see anything wrong with this principle, despite my skeptical feeling of the federal government.

Id much rather see people taking on their personal responsibility to take care of their own rather than outsource their responsibilities to the government.

Id much rather see people taking on their personal responsibility to take care of their own rather than outsource their responsibilities to the government.

I would too, but that was not my contention. Plus, most of SS is paid for by people taking care of themselves.

In fact, I do believe I support Ron Paul who believes young people should be able to opt out of this system while you support candidates like Romney and Santorum who want to make choices for you. So your empty remark about choice are duly noticed.

Last edited:
Social Security ended poverty for seniors.

If you get rid of it, old people will die in the streets.

America will become a 3rd world nation with pockets of incredible wealth surrounded by total misery.

Welcome to the Reagan model. The rich get richer and the middle class dies.

Suckers.

I think Social Security needs reform and needs to be pushed upon to the states. It is not the matter of the federal government. However, I can see the tremendous impact it has had. It has significantly reduced poverty rates among the elderly and has helped smooth out the business cycle.

As a free market, limited government type of person, social security is one of the last policies I would attack.

Why would I gamble with people's livelihoods over a belief system? I think people need to retire older and get less payout, but I believe in a safety for old people, even if I don't believe that is the federal government's jobs. I believe that elderly should have a decent life.

In fact, this is why Social Security was enacted, too many old people were falling through the cracks. I don't see anything wrong with this principle, despite my skeptical feeling of the federal government.
Problem with that whole line of thinking is that politicians can't just leave a big pile of money laying around when there are votes to be bought.

Problem with that whole line of thinking is that politicians can't just leave a big pile of money laying around when there are votes to be bought.

I am not a fan of the federal government, since you rightfully pointed out that they can be bought out for. However, what does that have to do with my argument?

But I reconsider. SS might have been good for my grandmother's generation, but any person nowadays who is not considering their retirement is foolish. I still think it is a decent policy and one of the last one's I would attack.

Forum List

Back