Evangelist Rick Perry

You know, I get tired of this slander of Rev. Hagee, who has been praised by Jewish groups and is a supporter of the state of Israel.

* Full disclosure, I don't support Israel, I think it's a really terrible idea and it's going to end horribly for all involved. But American politics, both Democrats and Republicans turn a blind eye to what Israel does, we are her ultimate enabler. I am also an agnostic, who sees the bible as a lot of ugly fairy tales. *

Now that said, let's look at his actual quote, not the way people like Sallow and SeaWytch have paraphrased it.

"Then god sent a hunter. A hunter is someone with a gun and he forces you. Hitler was a hunter. And the Bible says -- Jeremiah writing -- 'They shall hunt them from every mountain and from every hill and from the holes of the rocks,' meaning there's no place to hide. And that might be offensive to some people but don't let your heart be offended. I didn't write it, Jeremiah wrote it. It was the truth and it is the truth. How did it happen? Because God allowed it to happen. Why did it happen? Because God said my top priority for the Jewish people is to get them to come back to the land of Israel."

Now, I'm sorry, this is actually pretty consistant with the Bible. The people sinned, God sent hunters to punish them. Heck, the whole book of Judges is God sending other tribes to punish Israel for their disobedience. (It also contains some of the most horrific stories of the bible.)

Without condemning or condoning Hagee, he does represent a certain strain of Christian thought, and he has a pretty good relationship with the Zionist community.

Of course, part of this is a problem with Zionism itself, which has changed it's marketing campaign. It has changed from "Support Israel so the Jews can have a nice place to live" aimed at Jews to "Support Israel so Jesus can come back" to fundementalist Christians.

I'm sorry, but are you actually saying that Reverend Wright is worse than the guy who said Hitler was sent by god? Wow...:lol:

Go back and read what I actually said. Then get someone to help you with the big words.

Lucky for me...since I'm so stupid, you didn't use any big words when you said (and I quote):

"Wright is far worse"

See, even a simpleton like me can read that.

I'm sorry, but are you actually saying that Reverend Wright is worse than the guy who said Hitler was sent by god? Wow...:lol:

Go back and read what I actually said. Then get someone to help you with the big words.

Lucky for me...since I'm so stupid, you didn't use any big words when you said (and I quote):

"Wright is far worse"

And yet you seem unable to understand the difference between a theological argument that Hagee was making and Racist hate that Wright was spewing.

So maybe you are simpleton.

I find Hagee's argument silly, but not offensive. If you believe there's a God who is up there and he's such a micromanager that he cares what kind of sex you are having or whether you are eating meat on Fridays during Lent, then really, Hitler couldn't have happened unless he green-lighted it. Hitler and every other evil thing in history is part of God's "Plan".

I do find Wrights anti-American and anti-White sermons to be patently offensive. Yes, a lot of white people did a lot of terrible things, but a lot of white people worked and in some cases died to change them. That doesn't seem to compute in Wright's hateful little mind.

And Obama sat in his Church for 20 years, and was all so fine with it.

You know, I get tired of this slander of Rev. Hagee

Perhaps you should give him a call and tell him to stop making such offensive comments then...

Again, if Israelis and Jews aren't offended by what he says, why should you be?

Or are you really offended by comments about homosexuality?

If so, why not make that the big deal. I'd probably agree, THOSE comments are offensive. But don't go hiding behind Hitler to make your point.

Are we seriously still talking about Jeremiah Wright?

As for the original topic, Rick Perry's prayer rally bothers me only in that it is a complete waste of time and money that could be better spent actually doing something useful. He brings all these people together with the potential to actually generate some good ideas, and they waste their time asking an imaginary friend to solve their problems. What is this, celestial welfare? Get off your asses and actually do something about it.

"Wright is far worse"

Yes but you can't make an argument against it. That makes you a moron, not a simpleton.

Texas can secede from the union, for all I care, and take Rick Perry with them. He can be the Divine King in his own country.

I'm a Jew and I can say that evangelicals are some of the kindest, nicest, selfless, most charitable and moral people around! There is not atheist relief fund helping people to the tune of billions of dollars around the world like the Christian Relief Fund did.

Either way Gov Perry might be the best Governor of any State in US history, we will be lucky if he replaced the community organizer!

I'm a Jew and I can say that evangelicals are some of the kindest, nicest, selfless, most charitable and moral people around! There is not atheist relief fund helping people to the tune of billions of dollars around the world like the Christian Relief Fund did.

Either way Gov Perry might be the best Governor of any State in US history, we will be lucky if he replaced the community organizer!

We'd be lucky if Zimbo the Chimp replaced the current president. Anyone would do a better job than Obama.

This is America. Our right to gather and pray is protected under the Constitution of the United States. If you don't like it, don't do it.. it's really rather simple.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

No while as a state official he can't. Using his office to promote religion is a big no no. :eusa_hand:

It's called freedom OF RELIGION, not freedom from religion. The leftist liberal boycott on religion is exactly what the 1st amendment was to prevent!

Of course liberals will take the next attack and say the separation of Church and State Doctrine is in the Constitution. This is erroneous. The Separation of Church and State Doctrine was a case law created doctrine in Everson v. Board of Education, 330 U.S. 1, it's a case law interpretation of the 1st amendment, that is now a well established law of the land (however, at one point in history the Plessy v. Ferguson Separate but Equal Doctrine was a well establish case law of the land)!

Perry lead a state pray for an countrywide economic rebound and to have strength in these troubling times, what an evil bastard! :cuckoo:

What is Rick Perry going to do as president when he is confronted with the vastly complex economic, social, and foreign problems of today? Hold a national day of prayer? Maybe a week of prayer because the gravity of the issues require more prayer? Are we really going to settle for a president who does not act to fix problems, but just hopes that God fixes them for us?

I think this prayer rally that Perry held is silly, but it also indicts his incompetence as a political leader. He doesn't know how to fix the problem, so he's just gonna hope that sky daddy comes along and makes everything all better. Religious and nonreligious people alike should be able to see this for what it is; Perry hiding behind his religion, while at the same time exploiting it to gain popular support for a run at the presidency.

This is America. Our right to gather and pray is protected under the Constitution of the United States. If you don't like it, don't do it.. it's really rather simple.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

No while as a state official he can't. Using his office to promote religion is a big no no. :eusa_hand:

I never hear you idiots make a fuss when Obama mentions prayer or God.

You are all a bunch of hypocrites!

What is Rick Perry going to do as president when he is confronted with the vastly complex economic, social, and foreign problems of today? Hold a national day of prayer? Maybe a week of prayer because the gravity of the issues require more prayer? Are we really going to settle for a president who does not act to fix problems, but just hopes that God fixes them for us?

I think this prayer rally that Perry held is silly, but it also indicts his incompetence as a political leader. He doesn't know how to fix the problem, so he's just gonna hope that sky daddy comes along and makes everything all better. Religious and nonreligious people alike should be able to see this for what it is; Perry hiding behind his religion, while at the same time exploiting it to gain popular support for a run at the presidency.

Yeah, longest serving governor in Texas history sure indicates incompetence.

I recall Nixon declaring a day of prayer for the astronauts on one Apollo flight that almost didnt make it back. I guess he was incompetent too.

Forum List

Back