Evangelist Bill Graham hospitalized

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Evangelist Billy Graham was admitted to a hospital near his home early Saturday for evaluation and treatment of an intestinal bleed, hospital officials said.

Graham, 88, was resting comfortably Saturday afternoon, said Merrell Gregory, a spokesman for Mission Health & Hospitals in Asheville.

Graham's doctors said his condition did not appear to be life-threatening, said Graham's spokesman, Larry Ross. He estimated the ailing preacher could be released from the hospital in a couple of days.

more...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070818/ap_on_re/billy_graham

Better luck next time for all you morbid, Chritian-haters.;)

Better luck next time for all you morbid, Chritian-haters.;)

With a few exceptions, I have seen little Christian-hating. Criticism of the actions of a particular Church is not Christian-hatred or Christian-bashing. Criticism of this administration is not hatred of America. And I know you're more moderate than to think otherwise.

As for Billy Graham, he seems to be a good person who walks it as he talks it. I, for one, am sorry he's ill, but men don't seem to do well after they lose their wives....

With a few exceptions, I have seen little Christian-hating. Criticism of the actions of a particular Church is not Christian-hatred or Christian-bashing. Criticism of this administration is not hatred of America. And I know you're more moderate than to think otherwise.

As for Billy Graham, he seems to be a good person who walks it as he talks it. I, for one, am sorry he's ill, but men don't seem to do well after they lose their wives....

You mean you missed the 10-thread posting party the haters had when Falwell died? I personally didn't care for Falwell myself, but pure hatred that spewed about him was absurd.

They're out there. Wait until Chips hits this thread.

You mean you missed the 10-thread posting party the haters had when Falwell died? I personally didn't care for Falwell myself, but pure hatred that spewed about him was absurd.

I said there were exceptions... but it's not the rule. As for Falwell... different story. He made himself a political target with his venal comments about 9/11 and gays and al his efforts to have his religious beliefs enacted into law.

And I think he was fair game.

Billy Graham? Doesn't seem to have the venal streak in him... .just seems like a devout man.

I don’t have time to check all of the posts here on a regular basis. Therefore I might have missed a comment or two. Yet, after a brief historical search of cruel comments concerning Falwell’s death, I could only find posts (or a post) by only one person that seemed to go “over the top”. That post was by MM.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=562285&postcount=2

I even “called him” on it. Please clarify what you mean by “10-thread posting party”. Where are the posts by various people who hate Falwell?

I don’t have time to check all of the posts here on a regular basis. Therefore I might have missed a comment or two. Yet, after a brief historical search of cruel comments concerning Falwell’s death, I could only find posts (or a post) by only one person that seemed to go “over the top”. That post was by MM.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/showpost.php?p=562285&postcount=2

I even “called him” on it. Please clarify what you mean by “10-thread posting party”. Where are the posts by various people who hate Falwell?

Maybe it was on another board. I don't recall specifically where it was, only that a few went a little far celebrating death of another human being, flawed or not.

I think my comment's getting a little skewed. I said "Christian-haters," meaning however many there are, not any specific number. And "10" is an arbitrary number. I don't know how many actual threads there were, nor even if I saw all of them on only this board.

Don't be such a da damned literalist all the time.:eusa_eh:

I said there were exceptions... but it's not the rule. As for Falwell... different story. He made himself a political target with his venal comments about 9/11 and gays and al his efforts to have his religious beliefs enacted into law.

And I think he was fair game.

Billy Graham? Doesn't seem to have the venal streak in him... .just seems like a devout man.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that his expressed beliefs are/were fair game. But as matts points out, one poster was absolutely giddy over his death. That isn't what I'd call scrutinizing the man's beliefs in an objective discussion.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that his expressed beliefs are/were fair game. But as matts points out, one poster was absolutely giddy over his death. That isn't what I'd call scrutinizing the man's beliefs in an objective discussion.

Like I said.... exception, not the rule. ;)

But I'm not sure you want to offtrack your own thread. I figure Billy Graham is a decent enough guy where we can discuss his being ill without rancor. :eusa_whistle:

Like I said.... exception, not the rule. ;)

I never said otherwise.;)

But I'm not sure you want to offtrack your own thread. I figure Billy Graham is a decent enough guy where we can discuss his being ill without rancor. :eusa_whistle:

I grew up listening to Billy Graham. And I agree with you that he isn't the preacher of hate, nor did he politicize his sermons that I am aware of. I DID however tire of the week-long crusade back in the days of one tv with 3 channels in the house. But if he was on, that tv wouldn't be tuned into anything else.

I think confusing peoples feelings towards Falwell as being a hatred towards "christianity" is disingenuous. I think Falwell inspired hate because he spewed hatred. Anger breeds anger and hate breeds hate. Its human nature to react with hate to someone directing hate AT you.

I think it was more his POLITICS which contained hatred and exclusionary principles that many people reacted hatefully towards.

I am an atheist, I dont hate people who believe in god...I dont hate any particular religion either nor do I find one superior to the other...I just dont actually BELIEVE in any of them to be the truth.

I think confusing peoples feelings towards Falwell as being a hatred towards "christianity" is disingenuous. I think Falwell inspired hate because he spewed hatred. Anger breeds anger and hate breeds hate. Its human nature to react with hate to someone directing hate AT you.

I think it was more his POLITICS which contained hatred and exclusionary principles that many people reacted hatefully towards.

I am an atheist, I dont hate people who believe in god...I dont hate any particular religion either nor do I find one superior to the other...I just dont actually BELIEVE in any of them to be the truth.

I think purposefully confusing Falwell's stance with Christianity is just as disingenuous, but it happens.

You religion of disbelief is just as exclusionary as any Christian's. Religions, by their very nature are exclusionary.

I think purposefully confusing Falwell's stance with Christianity is just as disingenuous, but it happens.

You religion of disbelief is just as exclusionary as any Christian's. Religions, by their very nature are exclusionary.

Well, I think it's the other way around. Falwell purposefully confused his political stance with Christianity. He did so for a reason and to pursue an agenda of hatred. Karma's a boomerang.

There is, by definition, no religion of disbelief.

Well, I think it's the other way around. Falwell purposefully confused his political stance with Christianity. He did so for a reason and to pursue an agenda of hatred. Karma's a boomerang.

There is, by definition, no religion of disbelief.

You can claim there is no religion of disbelief, but the act of disbelieving itself is a belief, and what is a religion? A belief.

I don't think Falwell purposefully confused anything. He was quite up front that his political views were based on his Chrsitian beliefs. I also don't think he was anywhere near as important to Christians as the left wished to make him out to be. Y'all made him more important than he was.

I thought he was just another evangelist with a big mouth.

Never mind about me, El.

Wait 'til Larkinn finds out the hypocritical old \!/ was a raging anti-Semite! :rolleyes:

I wonder if the ignorant ol' Tarheel knew Christ was a ****?

You can claim there is no religion of disbelief, but the act of disbelieving itself is a belief, and what is a religion? A belief.

I don't think Falwell purposefully confused anything. He was quite up front that his political views were based on his Chrsitian beliefs. I also don't think he was anywhere near as important to Christians as the left wished to make him out to be. Y'all made him more important than he was.

I thought he was just another evangelist with a big mouth.

Atheism isnt a "belief". Its a lack of belief.

Do you believe there is a large pink Unicorn out in space beyond where our technology can see who is responsible for our creation? If you do not believe this to be true, does that mean you have a "belief" or do you simply have a lack of belief.

Atheism isnt a "belief" system nor a philosophy. It is simply a lack of belief in theism (and this is due to lack of evidence, just as there is a lack of evidence of a large pink unicorn in outer space).

Religion is an entire belief system, atheism is simply a lack of those beliefs but there is no set philosophy that binds atheists, just a lack of belief in theism.

Atheism isnt exclusionary, it isnt a "group" or come with a set of rules that need to be abided by.

As you have pointed out, religion is an exclusionary concept itself...it may be exactly why so many religious people feel "persecuted or attacked", its merely the natural reaction of humans to religions when they are victims of such exclusionary policies and attitudes.

Atheism isnt a "belief". Its a lack of belief.

Do you believe there is a large pink Unicorn out in space beyond where our technology can see who is responsible for our creation? If you do not believe this to be true, does that mean you have a "belief" or do you simply have a lack of belief.

Just as theism is a belief that God exists, Atheism is a belief that God does not exist. Atheism is a belief. It is the belief that there is no God. - that God does not exist. You can believe that large pink unicorns do not exist – and that, no mater how far and thorough our search, we will never find a pink unicorn because, in conjunction with your belief, pink unicorns simply do not exist.

Atheism isnt a "belief" system nor a philosophy. It is simply a lack of belief in theism (and this is due to lack of evidence, just as there is a lack of evidence of a large pink unicorn in outer space).

You are confusing atheism with agnosticism. Agnosticism is an intellectual doctrine or attitude affirming the uncertainty of all claims to ultimate knowledge.

Religion is an entire belief system, atheism is simply a lack of those beliefs but there is no set philosophy that binds atheists, just a lack of belief in theism.

Again, atheism is just as much a belief system as is theism. One believes that God exists. The other believes that God does not exist. Each has its believers that base their belief on faith and reason.

How can atheism be a belief system when there is no system to believe in? The word itself is simply "without theism". Just a lack of belief.

Are you telling me that not believing in pink unicorns is a "belief system"?

To try and say that atheism is just as much of a belief system as religion is truly incorrect. There arent any set of beliefs to adhere to as religion presents, there is no central doctrine. Its just a lack of belief in theism.

The lack of belief simply stems from one thing....there is no compelling evidence to show it exists therefore I have no compelling reason to believe that it DOES in fact, exist. Just as people who dont believe in pink unicorns dont believe they exist because there is no compelling reason to believe that they do in fact, exist.

Atheism dosent claim to have ultimate answers or ultimate knowledge. Atheism dosent make claims, it is a term that means without theism.

Its odd how many logical fallacies pop up in religion. Prove there ISNT a god, being without a belief means its a belief system....I think its pretty reasonable to not accept a theory that has no evidence to support it. Atheism rejects the theist theory based on lack of evidence...nothing more, nothing less. Thats not a belief system.

How can atheism be a belief system when there is no system to believe in? The word itself is simply "without theism". Just a lack of belief.

Are you telling me that not believing in pink unicorns is a "belief system"?

To try and say that atheism is just as much of a belief system as religion is truly incorrect. There arent any set of beliefs to adhere to as religion presents, there is no central doctrine. Its just a lack of belief in theism.

The lack of belief simply stems from one thing....there is no compelling evidence to show it exists therefore I have no compelling reason to believe that it DOES in fact, exist. Just as people who dont believe in pink unicorns dont believe they exist because there is no compelling reason to believe that they do in fact, exist.

Atheism dosent claim to have ultimate answers or ultimate knowledge. Atheism dosent make claims, it is a term that means without theism.

Its odd how many logical fallacies pop up in religion. Prove there ISNT a god, being without a belief means its a belief system....I think its pretty reasonable to not accept a theory that has no evidence to support it. Atheism rejects the theist theory based on lack of evidence...nothing more, nothing less. Thats not a belief system.

Atheism is a belief, however it is NOT a belief system. Atheism does NOT just reject the theist theory based on lack of evidence. It goes on to say that they are, in fact, wrong. As Matt pointed out, Agnostics are the ones who withhold belief.

Forum List

Back