Evangelicals won't vote for a Mormon

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
Romney's Mormonism To Be A Bigger Issue In The General Election, Say Evangelicals

Oops.
Romney leads by seven among Catholic voters and holds a massive lead among Evangelical Christians. Among other Protestants, the Republican challenger is ahead by 13. Among all other Americans, including people of other faiths and atheists, Obama leads by a 62% to 26% margin.
Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Virtually everything the Left predicted about Romney has been proven wrong.

I will confess, this one did surprise me. When Mitt ran in 2008, and again during the primaries, a lot of the churches I'd visit in my travels, along with my home church, ran Bible studies looking at why Mormons were not Christian and some of the dangerous ideological ideas of Mormons. A lot of folks I'd talk to after the church when we were mingling would mention that they "just couldn't vote for a Mormon."

Once Romney won the nomination this time though, a lot of those exact same people indicated they'd be voting for Romney. When I asked why, the uniform response was "He has to be better than Obama."

That's ok, it's their right to vote for their candidate of choice and one of the best parts about America is our religious freedom. But it does indicate why the Religious Right doesn't wield as much political power as they used to, and why the Tea Party will also eventually wane. Once you buy into the "I have to vote for this guy because I don't want party X to win", you're essentially done as a political movement. The two party system does an incredible job nullifying political movements.

Let's hope so. Im confident this nation will make the correct decision. Doesnt mean I like waiting till that decision is official.

I will confess, this one did surprise me. When Mitt ran in 2008, and again during the primaries, a lot of the churches I'd visit in my travels, along with my home church, ran Bible studies looking at why Mormons were not Christian and some of the dangerous ideological ideas of Mormons. A lot of folks I'd talk to after the church when we were mingling would mention that they "just couldn't vote for a Mormon."

Once Romney won the nomination this time though, a lot of those exact same people indicated they'd be voting for Romney. When I asked why, the uniform response was "He has to be better than Obama."

That's ok, it's their right to vote for their candidate of choice and one of the best parts about America is our religious freedom. But it does indicate why the Religious Right doesn't wield as much political power as they used to, and why the Tea Party will also eventually wane. Once you buy into the "I have to vote for this guy because I don't want party X to win", you're essentially done as a political movement. The two party system does an incredible job nullifying political movements.

It doesn't surprise me at all. Four years is a long time. We've all learned alot in four years. One of those things is that "if we dont all hang together, we will surely all hang separately" so to speak. In other words, there is no reason to oppose people who have similiar values to us and let those who dont have similiar values divide us and impose their will on us.

Not only that, but I think it's pretty clear when you put Romney and Obama head to head who has more leadership experience, is more charitable and moral, and who has proven himself competant. It isnt Obama.

In other words, there is no reason to oppose people who have similiar values to us and let those who dont have similiar values divide us and impose their will on us.

I so wish that were true, as there are plenty of Democrats and Republicans that if they got together have similar enough values that they'd get stuff done. Instead, we allow the two parties to completely divide and conquer us.

As for Romney himself, he'll pick up the Conservative and Evangelical vote despite the fact he's neither because the Cons and Evangelicals are pretty well under control at this point. It just doesn't appear it's enthusiastically. I think it's a sad comment on both candidates that at this point they're still running neck and neck two months out.

A strong sitting President with an enthusiastic party behind him should be up at this point. A strong qualified challenger facing a mediocre President with a fired up party behind him should have this well in hand at this point. The fact neither one seems to be able to pull ahead is a comment on just how terrible a President Obama has been and just how weak a candidate Romney currently is.

Forum List

Back