Evangelicals rethinking contraception

Not Catholic. Assembly of God.

I was Assembly of God as a kid.... but I dont recall the pill or condoms to be against their doctrines. Premarital sex yes, but birth control no.
I could be wrong though... they had some weird quirks. Hell, I had to have short hair to get into Heaven... loonie tunes!

Get this.... my mom took us from that bunch of whackjobs to a United Pentecostal church.... OMG those people are idiots.

Dude. Seriously. They didn't tell us about the pill because we weren't supposed to be having sex or we'd go to hell.

Religion will do that... I am a spiritual person, not religious. Religion is a type of bondage if ya ask me.

Plus, if that were the case, I would have been doomed to Hell at age 13!
Those UPC girls were horny lil bishes :D

I was 'born again' at age 15 or 16 and my wife and I did our best to abstain till she at least had a ring on here hand. Plus, I lived in my own home and decided to act like a responsible adult and make my own decisions.

Good talk BD.... looks like we shoulda took it to PM's.

Nobody else is commenting :confused:

We waited. I didn't get married til three days before my 37th birthday, and by then I was waaaay past believing men when they said they'd never leave me. :)

Not Catholic. Assembly of God.

I was Assembly of God as a kid.... but I dont recall the pill or condoms to be against their doctrines. Premarital sex yes, but birth control no.
I could be wrong though... they had some weird quirks. Hell, I had to have short hair to get into Heaven... loonie tunes!

Get this.... my mom took us from that bunch of whackjobs to a United Pentecostal church.... OMG those people are idiots.

Dude. Seriously. They didn't tell us about the pill because we weren't supposed to be having sex or we'd go to hell.

Since when is it the church's job to teach you how to access the Pill and abortion clinics?

We waited. I didn't get married til three days before my 37th birthday, and by then I was waaaay past believing men when they said they'd never leave me. :)

We were 20 & 21... didnt have kids till I was 24. I wasnt ready then either. I had to grow up in a hurry :eusa_shifty:

It wasn't okay with my parents, either.

Her name is Tiara. She'll be 31 on Saturday.

My daughters middle name is faith for a reason and she will have a birthday Friday. It is difficult in this day to teach a child about morals and respecting their body and sanctity of it with all they hear and see today. It is unrealistic to not make them aware of what is out there but not doing so puts them in more danger than saying nothing. Ultimately whatever they choose to do is up to them and all you can do as a parent is talk to them and live those values and teachings before them as a model for them to look at.

Since when is it the church's job to teach you how to access the Pill and abortion clinics?

I didn't say the church. I said 'they' - meaning my parents.

I don't believe contraception is banned from most Protestant churches. The bible says to be fruitful and multiply. Many have taken that and only applied that to children but it means everything from your money crops knowledge etc. the thing is that god has left it to each person to make the judgement of these things. God does not say specify how much to multiply so you are no better person for having kids til your innards fall out than you are for choosing for whatever reason to have none. Not everyone has the physical and mental capacity to handle a house full of children so to have them anyway is hurting you and that is a hurt to them. Not only that nut the cost of mere feeding that many children is quite the stretch in today's economy and using the wisdom god gave us to not have children you can't provide for is a good argument for contraception. My bottom li eoint is god left the decision up to the individual. It was a man made doctrine that dictated the non prevention

I don't believe contraception is banned from most Protestant churches. The bible says to be fruitful and multiply. Many have taken that and only applied that to children but it means everything from your money crops knowledge etc. the thing is that god has left it to each person to make the judgement of these things. God does not say specify how much to multiply so you are no better person for having kids til your innards fall out than you are for choosing for whatever reason to have none. Not everyone has the physical and mental capacity to handle a house full of children so to have them anyway is hurting you and that is a hurt to them. Not only that nut the cost of mere feeding that many children is quite the stretch in today's economy and using the wisdom god gave us to not have children you can't provide for is a good argument for contraception. My bottom li eoint is god left the decision up to the individual. It was a man made doctrine that dictated the non prevention

Of course it's not. Pooper is a documented liar.

Of course it's not. Pooper is a documented liar.
Not sure to whom you refer or what document in your opinion is being lied about

It's time to rethink how Christians are expected to navigate today's world.

No its not...

This whole BS notion that 'evangelicals' (WTF is an evangelical anyway?) want to take away ANYONE'S contraception is a lie.

As for abortion... that is murder, not contraception.

I am raising my daughters to be responsible with their bodies... its NOT okay with me that they would choose to engage in premarital sex. Its a bad idea, and can have life changing reprecusions.
But if they were to do so... I would still love them and do everything I could to assist them in raising that baby.

Besides... who says the left has a monopoly on great ideas? Why is it that we as 'evangelicals' or christians always have to concede to the lefts wishes?

Leave me and my sex life alone damn it... and stop telling me I am stupid for teaching my kids to be responsible for the vaginas!

BD, this not entirely directed at you... I am just responding with my heart thats all.

I want what is best for my girls... its the same as telling them its best to have never taken that 1st drink of alcohol. Ya just never know how you will react.. all alcoholics and addicts start with the 1st drink or snort. Abstinence works if its done for the right reasons.

Now I am need a drink :D
I think blanket telling your kids not to do something without giving them some background as to why in more cases than not lead to rebellion. One of my favorite phrases I use often is not no don't do that it is that does not sound like a wise idea or wise move there. It is more positive and puts in their mind an openness to question you and themselves as to why it isn't a wise move and think it through to it's conclusion and as a parent to help guide them and inform them of the possibilities of the outcome associated with a certain action or idea. This way you teach them as they grow to think critically and if they do not do so then you have a clear conscience and have the peace of mind to stand before god and say you did your best to teach them but still let them have free will of their own that they themselves are accountable for in their own life.

Exactly, Trinity! Teach them to think for themselves. Give them knowledge, and over time they will grow their own wisdom.

I myself have a very willful child and if I tell her no! It is a red flag in front of a bull to her. She is almost 11 and I know teen years will bring much conflict where I myself was not this way and it was enough for my parents to say you do not have sex until you are married end of discussion. I have to teach her why it is not a wise idea to do this and because I am Christian to instill in her now the importance of respecting her body as well as give her a foundation to build a strong spiritual conscience regarding it as well as pointing out potential consequences of the action on an emotional and mental level. Ultimately her decision will be her own but my job as a mom is to point out possibilities that result from the action and that doesn't mean just sex. For example your child is riding a bike with no hands. Instead of saying don't do that I say wow do you really think that is a wise move? Then we discuss it and I point out some possibilities that could result from it....you may be ok and you do not anticipate getting hurt but here are some other things that could happen that you did not anticipate then proceed to list them and the odds of the bad things that could result is a far greater risk than the few moments you feel you are on top of the world because in a split second you can lose control of the bike by no fault undr your control.
I hope you can all make the connection how that can be reflected into a conversation about sex in later years

I love the assumption that if we say we tell our children not to have sex as children, we must just be telling them "NO THE BIBLE FORBIDS IT" and nothing else.

I love the assumption that if we say we tell our children not to have sex as children, we must just be telling them "NO THE BIBLE FORBIDS IT" and nothing else.

Again with ASSUMPTIONS...it talks in the bible about being a duty to procreate and specifically to have a son. In that society if you had no husband or son you were going to beg or become a prostitute...those were your options then. The bible gives specific guidelines of acceptable behaviors for us to pattern and not only in regard to sex.

Forum List

Back