Evangelicals: 1 Year After "Genocide" Declaration, Bush Admin Makes Little Progress

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by NATO AIR, Sep 9, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    and has very little to show for that little progress either....
    the genocide declaration was a political ploy to boost the evangelical turn-out, and now pres. bush gets off scot-free for doing next to nothing about darfur.

only when we evangelicals make them pay for betraying us, for betraying the people of Darfur... only then will we see progress of any sort from this administration.....

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I say the first thing we do is demand that Kofi Annan be kicked off of the U.N. human rights committee. So far, the only reason I've seen for him not doing it is because it isn't really genocide since they're targeting a religion instead of a race. Army wants their numbers up? Right now, I'm kinda half-and-half about signing up after college. If we went into Darfur, I'd sign something saying I'd join as soon as I had a degree in hand tomorrow.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282

At the least, if we could target for eliimination the janjaweed leaders and their Sudanese army sponsors, we could end the impunity they've been enjoying for two years now.... that's what galls me the most, these bastards are slaughtering tens of thousands, with no punishment in sight.

damn, can we get some tomahawks or a predator drone?

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    It's ridiculous that Bush isn't taking a tougher stance against Sudan. Is there anything that regular people can do to help?

5. theim

theim Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Shhh. Just be patient people. These things take time. Yes, someone could theoretically send in forces to stop the genocide (or government sponsored slaughter, which is TOTALLY DIFFERENT), but then they would be acting unilaterally, which is unacceptable. So just take a chill pill. We the UN have almost decided whether to approve Subsection A of Clause 7.2(R) on our Chinese takeout bill. As you know, foreign dignitaries must not be forced to pay sales tax in other countries. Its important precedent-forming things like these that we must devote the majority of our time to. And besides, we ASKED them to stop. What the hell more can we do?

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Pray.
    Start coordinating efforts with other church groups... there's a lot of them. Make common cause with the large number of student groups. etc etc.

but above all else, pray.

7. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

No offense to anyone but praying does pretty much absolutely nothing. Praying is good if it helps you cope with things but people in need don't need prayers; they need actual help.

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282

Agreed in a practical sense. However, nothing short of a divine miracle is going to save the people of Darfur now. The Africans have failed them, the EU refuses to take action, the UN is paralyzed and America has decided it wants north-south peace more than an end to the genocide in darfur, and has made the necessary policy adjustments. And the Arabs (like Egypt, who could easily use a mixture of pressure and force to end this) don't give a damn, they're too caught up in Arab "solidarity".

I don't like saying this, but its the harsh, brutal truth. Coordination of activist and outreach efforts can do some good, but I just don't see enough people giving a damn enough to make the president reverse his betrayal.

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    You've obviously never prayed for anything.

10. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm sure plenty of people prayed for the 800 thousand people that got slaughtered when massive genocide was ocurring in Rwanda. I'd say the end result wasn't too pretty. Praying doesn't actually do anything. You might as well wish upon a star.