Evan Bayh Out!

How could a Super Majority = Monumental Failure? Only a Democrat could pull that one off. Worst U.S. Congress in history? You bet.

They are running down the anchor ropes of their ship in greater and greater numbers.

And I think he would have won! There's problems in the new salvation zone. :eusa_angel:

Thus far, six Republican Senators have announced retirement:

George LeMieux (replaced Mel Martinez who retired)
Sam Brownback
Jim Bunning
Kit Bond
Judd Gregg
George Voinovich

and an six Democrats:

Chris Dodd
Patrick Kennedy
Byron Dorgan
Ted Kaufman (replaced Biden)
Roland Burris (replaced Obama)
Evan Bayh

I think some of them are anxious to see how extremists could do better.

Poor Bayh. No more spending money like water, may have to follow the Constitution and junk. He might have to invest money without assurance of a return. Who does that any more?

patrick kennedy's a rep, not a senator, and i think they all want to get out of dodge and/or do the k street shuffle.

Hey, it's their mantra and I want them to keep at it. We'll see how it all settles in a few months.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
just saw his news conf i didn't realize he was so young !!!! but he made clear he's had it with his party serving itself instead of us.

He made no such thing "clear." What he made clear was that he's fed up with the stupid gridlock. Now who's currently to blame for that? He's pissed off at the whole process, and, as he CLEARLY stated, Congress being run by ideological [bullshit] instead of attempting to solve problems.

just saw his news conf i didn't realize he was so young !!!! but he made clear he's had it with his party serving itself instead of us.

He made no such thing "clear." What he made clear was that he's fed up with the stupid gridlock. Now who's currently to blame for that? He's pissed off at the whole process, and, as he CLEARLY stated, Congress being run by ideological [bullshit] instead of attempting to solve problems.

he made it crystal clear the craps are the reason he's leaving

Bayh was actually a somewhat Conservative Democrat who was stabbed in the back too many times by the partisan nutters in his own party. Harry Reid shooting down the recent Bi-Partisan Jobs Bill was the last straw for the man. I consider myself an Independent so i can say that Bayh was actually a pretty good Congressman. He will likely be missed.
Bayh has said he loves being a chief executive, loves serving the people of Indiana, but does not love congress; and that there's a better way to serve. I think he is getting out so as not be stained by Obama and the very likely upcoming loss of his seat to Dan Coats. This will allow him to run for president without a loss, and as a new and a principled man. I've sent him lots of letters (the real thing, not emails) since the Ds took congress, especially since January 09, and I think he's received a lot just like mine, telling him he can't win re-election by going along with the current leadership. I'm sorry that there couldn't have been a Coats/Bayh contest. Coats held the seat before Bayh, and it was theorized at the time that he didn't stand for reelection because he believed he couldn’t beat Bayh back in 1998. If Coats could've beaten Bayh in 10, I had hopes for him against Obama in 2012.

Bayh did become more of a supporter for small business, turning around a pro-small business rating from 80% against to 80% pro during his tenure.

( not that it matters; Bayh has a really beautiful wife)

I too think his goal is a run for the presidency, and retiring will allow him plenty of time to gather the behind-the-scene forces necessary to begin a campaign. But I don't think going against Obama is the reason. I've said before (started a whole thread about it) that I think it's more than a possibility that Obama won't run for a second term. He has made subtle references to that several times, the last time being during his recent interview with Diane Sawyer. Obama may want to go out the way LBJ did. There are a similar set of circumstances, to be sure.

Just his unwillingness to inform Reid of his intentions clearly sends a message to the dem's.

Bayh really was a reasonable and somewhat Conservative Democrat. Lets face it,there aren't a lot of those types left in the Democratic Party. Make no mistake about it,this is a huge loss for the Democrats. They're gonna miss him for sure.

Just his unwillingness to inform Reid of his intentions clearly sends a message to the dem's.

and from what I've read he only let Obama know this morning.

Bayh was actually a somewhat Conservative Democrat who was stabbed in the back too many times by the partisan nutters in his own party. Harry Reid shooting down the recent Bi-Partisan Jobs Bill was the last straw for the man. I consider myself an Independent so i can say that Bayh was actually a pretty good Congressman. He will likely be missed.
Bayh has said he loves being a chief executive, loves serving the people of Indiana, but does not love congress; and that there's a better way to serve. I think he is getting out so as not be stained by Obama and the very likely upcoming loss of his seat to Dan Coats. This will allow him to run for president without a loss, and as a new and a principled man. I've sent him lots of letters (the real thing, not emails) since the Ds took congress, especially since January 09, and I think he's received a lot just like mine, telling him he can't win re-election by going along with the current leadership. I'm sorry that there couldn't have been a Coats/Bayh contest. Coats held the seat before Bayh, and it was theorized at the time that he didn't stand for reelection because he believed he couldn’t beat Bayh back in 1998. If Coats could've beaten Bayh in 10, I had hopes for him against Obama in 2012.

Bayh did become more of a supporter for small business, turning around a pro-small business rating from 80% against to 80% pro during his tenure.

( not that it matters; Bayh has a really beautiful wife)

I too think his goal is a run for the presidency, and retiring will allow him plenty of time to gather the behind-the-scene forces necessary to begin a campaign. But I don't think going against Obama is the reason. I've said before (started a whole thread about it) that I think it's more than a possibility that Obama won't run for a second term. He has made subtle references to that several times, the last time being during his recent interview with Diane Sawyer. Obama may want to go out the way LBJ did. There are a similar set of circumstances, to be sure.

HUH? Would that be Vietnam? War on Poverty? Other than a few leftwing and right wing nutters Obama isn't catching any flack for Iraq or Afghanistan. Indeed, he is trying to claim credit for the Iraq success. It appears the surge in Afghanistan may well be successful, if it is not he'll get credit for trying.

Now if it's reckless spending that is similar, you've got a point. Was that your point? :eek:

Face it folks... the Dems are in HUGE trouble....

Some of us recognize meltdowns by the numbers. Others react by making polls picking who the opposition should vote for or another thread about evil Cheney or Palin.

It must suck to be those that were high on Obama and AGW last fall. :eusa_whistle:

I'm disappointed in many things, not the least of which has been the asshole Republicans he's had to deal with and the full-throttle campaign by the right wing noise machine to bring Obama down, but so far I'm not ready to put a gun to my head. I've been through so many of these presidential highs and lows that none of this is surprising at all. In fact, I'd be surprised if there were not some congressional losses. It's just the way it works. The losing side always gathers steam by mid-terms. ALWAYS. The difference this time is that they had already been strategizing to demolish Obama before he even took the Oath of Office.

Forum List

Back