Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
:omg:

Bayh To Retire In Face Of Challenge - Hotline On Call

Bayh To Retire In Face Of Challenge
February 15, 2010 10:49 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | Share This
By Reid Wilson

Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN) will not seek a 3rd term in the Senate next year, according to a Dem source, handing Dems yet another setback as they struggle to salvage their damaged ship.

Bayh, elected statewide 5 times, will become the 5th Senate Dem not to seek another term. His decision to step aside , first reported by The Fix and confirmed to Hotline OnCall, creates an open seat in IN, a usually-red state that broke the mold in '08 by voting narrowly for Pres. Obama.

Last week, ex-Sen. Dan Coats (R), who held Bayh's seat before retiring in '98, announced he would run for the seat. Ex-Rep. John Hostettler (R) had already announced his own candidacy...

They are running down the anchor ropes of their ship in greater and greater numbers.

And the Republicans scurrying from the ship still outnumbers the Dems.

Just sayin. :eusa_whistle:

This is not a surprise either way. Instead of facing the possibility of losing, most people retiring just don't want to lose a race in case they want to run again in the future.

warren%20cartoon%20rats.jpg

And .... another one is gone!

So many dems looking to save what reputation they have by leaving on their own, versus backing the unpopular agenda of their progressive President.

LOL good one.

The Good Ship Obamas deckhands are bailing left and right.

Loads of Reps retiring also. Must be something in the wind.
Ah, this much is true. There are Republicans who are jumping ship as well.

I think they think that if they are not in office when our country hits bottom, they won't be included in the history books as to how it happened.

I can't really blame Senator Bayh, who'd want to continue putting up the BS that Senators with some modicum of integrity left (like Bayh) have to put up with on a daily basis.

If I was in Bayh's position I'd take what marbles I had left and go home too.

Your right and he has plenty of marbles to take along for the ride.

This guy and his wife are set for life. Courtesy of we the taxpayers.

Bayh was actually a somewhat Conservative Democrat who was stabbed in the back too many times by the partisan nutters in his own party. Harry Reid shooting down the recent Bi-Partisan Jobs Bill was the last straw for the man. I consider myself an Independent so i can say that Bayh was actually a pretty good Congressman. He will likely be missed.

just saw his news conf i didn't realize he was so young !!!! but he made clear he's had it with his party serving itself instead of us.

Yea Pelosi & Reid stabbed the guy in the back one too many times. Reid killing the recent Bi-Partisan Jobs Bill was probably the last straw for Bayh. Pretty sad stuff.

Bayh was actually a somewhat Conservative Democrat who was stabbed in the back too many times by the partisan nutters in his own party. Harry Reid shooting down the recent Bi-Partisan Jobs Bill was the last straw for the man. I consider myself an Independent so i can say that Bayh was actually a pretty good Congressman. He will likely be missed.

My opinion too. There's a reason that Bayh, a Democrat, could win re-election multiple times as a Governor and Senator. He even was popular enough to carry his Lt. Governor through to a win.

Bayh was about as centrist and conservative as you could get and still be called a Democrat. He could have won re-election in 2010. Him leaving is a very bad omen for the DNC. It means the moderates are hitting the road.

Bayh has said he loves being a chief executive, loves serving the people of Indiana, but does not love congress; and that there's a better way to serve. I think he is getting out so as not be stained by Obama and the very likely upcoming loss of his seat to Dan Coats. This will allow him to run for president without a loss, and as a new and a principled man. I've sent him lots of letters (the real thing, not emails) since the Ds took congress, especially since January 09, and I think he's received a lot just like mine, telling him he can't win re-election by going along with the current leadership. I'm sorry that there couldn't have been a Coats/Bayh contest. Coats held the seat before Bayh, and it was theorized at the time that he didn't stand for reelection because he believed he couldn’t beat Bayh back in 1998. If Coats could've beaten Bayh in 10, I had hopes for him against Obama in 2012.

Bayh did become more of a supporter for small business, turning around a pro-small business rating from 80% against to 80% pro during his tenure.

( not that it matters; Bayh has a really beautiful wife)

Bayh-dum-dum-dum-dum, another one bites the dust. Bayh-dum-dum-dum-dum, another one bites the dust. Another one bites, another one bites, another one bites the dust. :lol:

Partisan gridlock, Senator...when you had 60 votes, you're calling it partisan gridlock? :lol: :lol:

Funny part is that the Democrats have until Friday to get someone to replace him in the primary. :lol:

Forum List

Back