Evacuating Sucks

Jimmyeatworld

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2004
America
I've had an interesting start to 2006. Some of you may have heard about the fires in Oklahoma and Texas. About 4 O'Clock Sunday afternoon, the warning was put out for a possible evacuation of the city. About 5, it happened.

A fire started roughly 15 miles west of here and was moving our way. There is a little town called Ringgold about 10 miles west of here that was essentially burned to the ground. We could clearly see and smell the smoke from my mother's house.

After loading up my mother and my aunt, who is in a wheelchair, we went to friends house in the country about ten miles east of town and waited to see what happened from there. About 7pm, an area near the lake was evacuated, and it was only 8 miles from where we were. Thank God for cell phones, I called ahead to Gainesville, Texas, about 35 miles east of home and reserved a motel room so my mother and aunt would have a bed for the night. I can pile up anywhere.

I went to Wal Mart to make sure they had food, figuring that we wouldn't be able to get back into town until the next day. My cousin was helping to fight the fire, and from the reports he was giving me the fire might miss town, but the smoke would still be bad. I was halfway through getting food when he called and said the all clear had been given and people could come back into town. It was 10:30 or so by that time, and my aunt was already in bed by the time I got back to the motel room, so they are still there for the night. I came back into town to check on the houses and the cats.

The fire did get into the edge of town, about 1/4 of a mile from my mothers house, which is close enough. My cousin Cheryl's house burned to the ground, but their barn and livestock came out okay. A friend of mines parents also lost their home. All in all... well, let's just say it could have been worse.

The smell of smoke is still thick, and fire trucks, water tanks, and emergency personnel from as far away as Denton are still in town just in case. It's certainly not what I had planned for a Sunday afternoon.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I've had an interesting start to 2006. Some of you may have heard about the fires in Oklahoma and Texas. About 4 O'Clock Sunday afternoon, the warning was put out for a possible evacuation of the city. About 5, it happened.

A fire started roughly 15 miles west of here and was moving our way. There is a little town called Ringgold about 10 miles west of here that was essentially burned to the ground. We could clearly see and smell the smoke from my mother's house.

After loading up my mother and my aunt, who is in a wheelchair, we went to friends house in the country about ten miles east of town and waited to see what happened from there. About 7pm, an area near the lake was evacuated, and it was only 8 miles from where we were. Thank God for cell phones, I called ahead to Gainesville, Texas, about 35 miles east of home and reserved a motel room so my mother and aunt would have a bed for the night. I can pile up anywhere.

I went to Wal Mart to make sure they had food, figuring that we wouldn't be able to get back into town until the next day. My cousin was helping to fight the fire, and from the reports he was giving me the fire might miss town, but the smoke would still be bad. I was halfway through getting food when he called and said the all clear had been given and people could come back into town. It was 10:30 or so by that time, and my aunt was already in bed by the time I got back to the motel room, so they are still there for the night. I came back into town to check on the houses and the cats.

The fire did get into the edge of town, about 1/4 of a mile from my mothers house, which is close enough. My cousin Cheryl's house burned to the ground, but their barn and livestock came out okay. A friend of mines parents also lost their home. All in all... well, let's just say it could have been worse.

The smell of smoke is still thick, and fire trucks, water tanks, and emergency personnel from as far away as Denton are still in town just in case. It's certainly not what I had planned for a Sunday afternoon.

Wow, be careful. I was watching this on the news and it looks dicey for Tuesday too. Sure hope you all get some rain.

Kathianne said:
Wow, be careful. I was watching this on the news and it looks dicey for Tuesday too. Sure hope you all get some rain.

I'll tell you what, pray for rain. Suddenly, that 10 degree weather we were getting a couple of months ago doesn't seem so bad.

manu1959 said:
i hope you all stay well and healthy....i am trying to send you rain from california

Yes it seems you have some to spare. Jimmy, we'll pray for rain!

What a horrible plight. My prayers are with you and your family Jimmy. May God protect you all.

manu1959 said:
i hope you all stay well and healthy....i am trying to send you rain from california

AND FROM RENO/SPARKS... we've got more than we need too.

Kathianne said:
I saw that, some areas over 5'! Wow!

Don't mean to highjack Jim's thread but, real quick, things aren't real rosie here either...

STORM SWAMPS REGION
Rain spurs flooding in Reno, Sparks, Carson City
JEFF DELONG
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
Posted: 1/1/2006

Rains from a Pacific storm pummeled the region Saturday, causing widespread flooding in Reno, Sparks and Carson City.

The relentless storm crippled travel on Interstate 80, created power outages and forced the evacuation of homes from Lockwood to Dayton. Reno officials postponed New Year's Eve fireworks in downtown until tonight.

Creeks and irrigation ditches overflowed as the Truckee River's brown currents turned into whitecaps, submerging portions of Reno and Sparks. The flooding was the worst to hit the area since January 1997.

In Carson City, muddy water flowing from wildfire-scorched hills west of town deluged streets, and in Gardnerville, the east fork of the Carson River flowed over its banks. Officials declared Carson City in a state of emergency.

"It's not a '97 event, but it is major flooding," said Gary Barbato, a hydrologist from the National Weather Service.

Throughout the region, crews searched for sandbags to protect businesses and property from rising water. Others were forced to leave their homes as flooding burst sewer lines in Lockwood and Rainbow Bend, threatening more than 60 homes, said Eric Guevin of the Storey County Fire Department.

A major mudslide trapped six tractor-trailers and buried Interstate 80 west of Reno. Officials closed the road and said they'll need at least two days to clear it, the primary link between Reno and Northern California.

Costs could total millions

Cleanup could cost $5 million.

The storm, which experts said Friday would produce only minor flooding in the Sparks industrial area and probably not affect downtown Reno, delivered a far worse punch than expected.

Barbato said the storm tapped abundant tropical moisture and dumped up to 10 inches of rain in the Sierra.

"It's much more serious than we had anticipated," said Adam Mayberry, spokesman for Sparks, one of the hardest-hit areas.

The storm swamped Sparks industrial area and its 900 properties. Police cordoned off areas of the industrial corridor with cones, squad cars and electronic message boards that read "Road Closed" or "Enter At Your Own Risk."

Floodwaters in the Spice Island Drive area were contaminated by raw sewage, creating a health hazard.

"If people want to go in there, they do so at their own risk," Mayberry said. "We're really encouraging people to stay away."

Residents of the nearby Sparks RV and mobile home parks also left their homes after rain flooded property.

"We've seen floodwaters as high as 4 feet, maybe higher in places," Mayberry said. "There's quite a bit of water down there."

The Truckee River at Vista Boulevard crested late Saturday afternoon at about 20 feet -- 5 feet above flood levels, officials said. The Truckee River in Reno crested early in the afternoon at about 13.5 feet, 2½ feet above flood levels.

Flooding forced all downtown Reno bridges spanning the river to close to traffic. Floodwaters swamped the basement of the Reno Justice and Family Court.

At its highest point, the river in downtown Reno surged over its banks, water streaming down Riverside Drive, over sidewalks and across front yards and into side streets but largely staying out of people's homes. Mud and debris covered downtown streets near the river.

more... http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060101/NEWS10/601010331/1016/NEWS

Truckee River, downtown Reno. All the water outside the width of that little foot bridge, is water over the river's bank's...

bilde.jpg

Weird how one part of the country is overflowing with water while, globally speaking, a hop and jump away we're so dry we're bursting into flames.

Once the winds died down last night, it was easier for them to get things under control. Turns out it came a lot closer to my mothers house than I thought, more like 1/10 of a mile as the crow flies, or as the fire burns as it were. Here's where they managed to stop it. One side of the road is charred black, the other side looks like nothing ever happened.

School%20Zone%202.jpg

Pale Rider said:
Truckee River, downtown Reno. All the water outside the width of that little foot bridge, is water over the river's bank's...

bilde.jpg

I remember that well...helped evacuate Lockwood as a Reserve Deputy for Storey County...got home about 4:00am looking like a wet dog...maybe sending our rain to Jimmy is not a good idea...well maybe a little would be okay!

Jimmyeatworld said:
Weird how one part of the country is overflowing with water while, globally speaking, a hop and jump away we're so dry we're bursting into flames.

Once the winds died down last night, it was easier for them to get things under control. Turns out it came a lot closer to my mothers house than I thought, more like 1/10 of a mile as the crow flies, or as the fire burns as it were. Here's where they managed to stop it. One side of the road is charred black, the other side looks like nothing ever happened.

School%20Zone%202.jpg

Jimmmy that looks so frightening! Floods are awful, but usually there is warning. Fire, well I don't know about anyone else, but that is my nightmare. I wish you guys would get some rain.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you that are suffering from the weather....

I hope that it isn't a preview of the coming year!

I wish I could send you some of the rain and snow that we're getting here in New York....

Forum List

Back